Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Protector

Old 09-02-2006, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protector

if you are going to watch this movie, dont expect anything good besdies the fighting scenes
Old 09-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One reviewer says:

"Who needs plot when you have all of this ass-kicking?"
- Lybarger
4 stars

Thinking about seeing it right now but hate to pay full price for a questionable movie.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 AM

I just saw this movie tonight and it was great.

Tony Jaa skills and stunts -

Sure the plot is nothing more than excuses to stage fight scenes, but that is what martial arts movies are.

The fight sequences in this movie ROCK. (and I know ROCK )

If you are a fan of martial arts movies you gotta see it, and should see it on the big screen now while it's in theaters.

If you are a connoisseur of martial arts movies you MUST see it.

Like Ong Bak, this movie has a few homages to some great stunts in many of Jackie Chan's best films (meaning those made in Hong Kong between about 1978 & 1994). There's a fun bone breaking nod to Kill Bill. There is also an attempt to one up or at least be the martial arts equivilent to the amazing 10 minute single take action sequence during the hospital finale of John Woo's "HardBoiled."

[BTW, if you know what I'm talking about, ....if not, ... j/k ]

This sequence alone is worth the price of admission two times. It's amazing... and some viewers may not even catch that it is one long uncut take that lasts maybe 10 minutes. When you think about the logistics and skill required to pull that off... the mind boggles. I can't think of any other action star pulling this off today, in their prime Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung maybe could have, but not today.

A great bit of action film making.

I just gotta see it again for that alone. Not to say that's the only good thing, it's all good and entertaining even if the plot between the fight scenes is a bit silly. It's heart is in the right place and the martial arts and fight choreography are top notch.

So yeah, I liked it.

(BTW - can't wait to see Jet Li's swan song to action films - "Fearless" coming soon)
Old 09-10-2006, 10:44 AM

ive also watched fearless already. its pretty good fighting wise but story i couldnt really understand due to the fact the subbing sucked arse.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 PM

yeah i bought the movie at this dvd stand in the mall.i watch kung fu movies for the fighting.5 out of 5
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM

Great movie for entertainment value. The plot is so out of this world and choppy. At the beginning I swear they cut the movie to get to the action scenes. You'll notice the choppiness and crap transitions between scenes, but the fighting is well worth it. The single take scene is great. My friends didn't notice it was a single take but I told them that it was, and you could tell by how tired he was when he was at the top of the building. Possibly the best martial arts movie I've seen (excluding plot).
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 AM

[QUOTE=Adis_Kay,Sep 10 2006, 06:08 PM] At the beginning I swear they cut the movie to get to the action scenes.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:01 AM

I, and everyone who went to see the movie, LOVED it. we went at 10 on a sunday night so there was a good bit of heckling at the start, but he earned Everyones undivided attention easily and it turned into "OOOHHHHS" and "DAMN!!!!". Going to see it again tonight or tuesday. loved it, this guy is amazing!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:12 AM

I want to see it again. So much the shit! That guy should drive a S2000 .

Can't wait to see Fearless but for fighting scenes I think this one will rule for a while.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 AM

I watched the original Thai version with chinese sub last nite, it was pretty bad ass. For sure better fight scene over Ong Bak.

Quick Reply: Protector