S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Dragon Events (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-events-49/)
-   -   Canadian Caravan to RTD 17 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-events-49/canadian-caravan-rtd-17-a-1165622/)

zenairdave 11-04-2016 11:27 AM

Canadian Caravan to RTD 17

The Canadians (except Darcy and Joey) will be taking the long way to the event (as usual) again this year. Departure will be Tuesday Morning so you need a weeks holiday if you want to join us. It will be a combination of driving twisties and sight seeing. Route is not locked in yet but start as we cross at Buffalo, head south to Seneca Rocks for a Cave tour. From there using as many mountains as possible to arrive a Marion VA. From there, Little Switzerland for lunch and Emerald Caverns and lunch, before heading south to Toccoa GA for Thursday night. Friday after a meal stop in Helen GA, we will arrive at Fontana from the South on time for the Ball Field Festivities. If it seems like 4 days of adventure to arrive somewhere that can be driven in 14 hrs direct, you are correct.
We are fine tuning this so it may change before departure.

Scooterboy 11-05-2016 06:58 AM

Quick, someone call the border patrol!

Lovetodrive2000 11-05-2016 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy (Post 24098929)
Quick, someone call the border patrol!

Just need to know when to tell them we are being invaded by the Canadians! :D

darcyw 11-06-2016 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24099231)
Just need to know when to tell them we are being invaded by the Canadians! :D

depending on Tuesday's result, it may be the other way around!

darcy

DragonDidg 11-07-2016 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24098584)
The Canadians (except Darcy) will be taking the long way to the event (as usual) again this year. Departure will be Monday Morning so you need a weeks holiday if you want to join us. It will be a combination of driving twisties and sight seeing. Route is not locked in yet but likely will cross at Buffalo, head south towards Harrisonburg VA, through as many mountains as possible and catching Little Switzerland before heading south to Helen GA. Yes, we will arrive at Fontana from the South on Friday in time for the Ball Field Festivities. If it seems like 5 days of adventure to arrive somewhere that can be driven in 14 hrs direct, you are correct.
Attractions on our "hit" list include Piper Museum, Seneca Caverns, Natural Bridge and Linville Falls or Caves. We are sorting this list out so may change before departure.
Prior years the odd American has joined us for the adventure and you are more than welcome if you PM me.

Who you calling odd? Wait, I'm a Southern Gentleman from the Big Easy with a penchant for uptown ladies, "women of the night", dark jazz clubs, and crawfish boils! Maybe a little odd.
This looks like another fun road adventure.

zenairdave 11-07-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DragonDidg (Post 24099896)
Who you calling odd? Wait, I'm a Southern Gentleman from the Big Easy with a penchant for uptown ladies, "women of the night", dark jazz clubs, and crawfish boils! Maybe a little odd.
This looks like another fun road adventure.

Yes Mike, I believe you were the first Odd American to join us. That was the year we were wrecking NFR cars. But there was the Odd guy from Florida with the Yellow CR and two years ago the White from InLine Pro. We attract them like flys to sugar.
We will have to be more stealth this year so the Cincinatti group cant find us until it is too late. LOL

Lovetodrive2000 11-08-2016 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24100262)
Yes Mike, I believe you were the first Odd American to join us. That was the year we were wrecking NFR cars. But there was the Odd guy from Florida with the Yellow CR and two years ago the White from InLine Pro. We attract them like flys to sugar.
We will have to be more stealth this year so the Cincinatti group cant find us until it is too late. LOL

We already have our spies watching you and your minions! :D

JoePhotographer 11-23-2016 04:03 AM

The Canadians (except Darcy) will be taking the long way to the event (as usual) again this year.

Can't wait to see all of you again!!

Bama Dave 12-06-2016 06:31 PM

I'm planning to hook up with some of Canada Contingency in Buffalo for the trek south. :drive: Of course the trek up with be just as interesting too. :burnrubr: Going to check out my father's home town first. :tipwink:

kgf3076 12-09-2016 05:28 AM

I have a block of rooms at the General Francis Marion Hotel for those of you who plan on spending Wednesday night in Marion, VA at Back of the Dragon. The rate is $108 a night. This is a special rate for S2000 people and you will need to give your credit card information to hold the room for you. Ask for the Honda S2000 rate to get the special price.

zenairdave 01-05-2017 11:08 AM

Do we get any award if we lead a bunch of Americans to the event as well? :unionjack:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...52130b6eaf.jpgI wonder if they would allow this on the Dragon. Maybe Friday night late?

kgf3076 01-05-2017 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24129702)
Do we get any award if we lead a bunch of Americans to the event as well? :unionjack:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...52130b6eaf.jpgI wonder if they would allow this on the Dragon. Maybe Friday night late?

Who's the big kid driving the go-cart?

dave_ 01-06-2017 07:04 AM

i so so badly want to join this Canadian caravan.... but i don't think this will be my year... does anybody do the fall event?

zenairdave 01-09-2017 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24129727)
Who's the big kid driving the go-cart?

Guilty

Scooterboy 01-09-2017 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24132058)
Quilty

Is that a canadian term for keeping warm while driving an itty bitty race car?

zenairdave 01-09-2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy (Post 24132066)
Is that a canadian term for keeping warm while driving an itty bitty race car?

Actually, besides racing them weekly in Ontario, we drive to Millbridge NC twice a year for East Coast championship events. It sure hurts driving the truck through the mountains to get there when the S2000 sits at home..

zenairdave 01-09-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by dave_ (Post 24130200)
i so so badly want to join this Canadian caravan.... but i don't think this will be my year... does anybody do the fall event?

Just do it. Live is short.

kgf3076 01-09-2017 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24132114)
Just do it. Live is short.

And you get to hang out with Dave and a bunch of really great (albeit somewhat strange) people who really have a good time.

dave_ 01-09-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24132145)
And you get to hang out with Dave and a bunch of really great (albeit somewhat strange) people who really have a good time.

If i didn't have a wedding to attend in Newfoundland a few weeks afterwards I'd be all over it...

zenairdave 01-09-2017 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24132145)

Actually, you get to hang out with a bunch of Dave's.

dave_ 01-09-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24132189)
Actually, you get to hang out with a bunch of Dave's.

I feel like i would be a good addition

Scooterboy 01-09-2017 11:17 AM

Dave are the best!

dave_ 01-09-2017 02:05 PM

oddly enough it's only 3 extra hours of drive time for me to meet you in buffulo....

kgf3076 01-09-2017 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by dave_ (Post 24132357)
oddly enough it's only 3 extra hours of drive time for me to meet you in buffulo....

If you get to Buffalo, you're almost there (well, not quite, but following Dave, Dave it will seem like it). Gander will be there when you get back (it certainly was every time I had to go there). CFB Gander can get a bit chilly this time of the year, April is much better, sometime in May is better yet.

zenairdave 01-10-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by dave_ (Post 24132357)

You are welcome to join in and I don't see the problem with a week trip in April to the Dragon and a Long weekend in NF for a wedding in May.

dave_ 01-10-2017 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24132834)
You are welcome to join in and I don't see the problem with a week trip in April to the Dragon and a Long weekend in NF for a wedding in May.

I'm going to have to put it off for now, i've got some other plans burning up vacation time for 2017... but 2018 earns me an extra week of vacation time! I will keep watching these threads though... i might get jealous enough to find a way to make it happen haha

funat9000rpm 01-16-2017 12:12 PM

Since Fluky has been a consistent failure in importing Canada's #1 good - The Ketchup Chip - I'm going to leave this comment here to remind everyone that each trunk of your car fits approximately 50 bags. No reason 10 in total shouldn't make it across the boarder :lol:

Message me if you can bring me a couple of bags, I'll pay you in American cash :thumbup:

zeroptzero 01-16-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm (Post 24135994)
Since Fluky has been a consistent failure in importing Canada's #1 good - The Ketchup Chip - I'm going to leave this comment here to remind everyone that each trunk of your car fits approximately 50 bags. No reason 10 in total shouldn't make it across the boarder :lol:

Message me if you can bring me a couple of bags, I'll pay you in American cash :thumbup:

I can definitely bring you a couple bags, n/c . 10 bags is pushing it though as I tend to over-pack the car with stuff I won't likely use, lol. You'll need to track me down though. I don't know if you have a favourite brand of chip, if so let me know. President's Choice released a new chip here called Loads of Ketchup, or something along that line, it seems quite intense though.

Personally I always bring several small bags of Ketchup flavoured puffed corn/rice chips - from Quakar Oats to eat during the trip. I quite like them, you can try them if you like too, a healthier alternative to chips and they taste quite good.

Joey

zenairdave 01-20-2017 02:04 PM

Any of the East coast guys looking for a Caravan to join up with?

zenairdave 02-01-2017 01:56 PM

Our group ended up with 10 plus cars committed as we spend 4 days wandering to the Dragon. Hopefully we can find the darn thing. :drive:
Is it time to go yet? :excited:

zenairdave 02-02-2017 06:43 AM

The Canadians (except Darcy and Joey) will be taking the long way to the event (as usual) again this year. Departure will be Tuesday Morning so you need a weeks holiday if you want to join us. It will be a combination of driving twisties and sight seeing. Route is not locked in yet but start as we cross at Buffalo, head south to Seneca Rocks for a Cave tour. From there using as many mountains as possible to arrive a Marion VA. From there, Little Switzerland for lunch and Emerald Caverns and lunch, before heading south to Toccoa GA for Thursday night. Friday after a meal stop in Helen GA, we will arrive at Fontana from the South on time for the Ball Field Festivities. If it seems like 4 days of adventure to arrive somewhere that can be driven in 14 hrs direct, you are correct.
We are fine tuning this so it may change before departure.

Just pulling this to the bottom since it has changed a bit.
At this time , our little caravan stands at 16 Cars at the high point Thursday morning as guys join and depart our group.

Bama Dave 02-02-2017 07:37 AM

Of the 16 cars how many are going directly to Fontana from Marion?

zenairdave 02-02-2017 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave (Post 24146730)

I Believe zeropointzero and his 3 peeps. Should be 10-12 that take the two day route to Fontana

kgf3076 02-02-2017 01:33 PM

If they are there on Wednesday, they can join me for my usual special dinner at Fontana. Generally 4 or 5 courses and paired wines. Only $100/person and some of the best food you'll ever eat.

zenairdave 02-02-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24147019)
If they are there on Wednesday, they can join me for my usual special dinner at Fontana. Generally 4 or 5 courses and paired wines. Only $100/person and some of the best food you'll ever eat.

​​​​​​​we should all arrive Wednesday evening but will likely be looking for $9.99 Wednesday meal deal. Lol

zenairdave 02-03-2017 10:06 AM

My bad, we will be arriving in Marion when Ken is arriving in Fontana :banghead:

kgf3076 02-03-2017 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24147646)
My bad, we will be arriving in Marion when Ken is arriving in Fontana :banghead:

Poor Iris won't have a decent meal for almost a week.

zeroptzero 02-03-2017 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave (Post 24146730)

Yup as Dave mentioned myself and two other members of the group will head to Fontana Village on Thursday, and break up from the main group on the way heading south. My plan is to drive towards Blowing Rock NC pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit towards Little Switzerland, then head towards Asheville and Fontana Village. Dave if you are interested in joining us on the drive towards Fontana let me know, I suspect you have a vast knowledge of the area around Little Switzerland and the Blue Ridge Parkway , I'd feel better following you. We don't have any set route other than getting to Fontana Village from Marion and trying to hit up any picturesque driving possible worth exploring. I've done the Snake in 2015 so I don't need to see that again, I'm more interested in the Blue Ridge Parkway and LS region. A picture stop at the Biltmore Estate would be cool too, just a short stop, take a picture and keep moving type of deal, though they do have a good restaurant there if needed.

kgf3076 02-03-2017 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24147747)
Yup as Dave mentioned myself and two other members of the group will head to Fontana Village on Thursday, and break up from the main group on the way heading south. My plan is to drive towards Blowing Rock NC pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit towards Little Switzerland, then head towards Asheville and Fontana Village. Dave if you are interested in joining us on the drive towards Fontana let me know, I suspect you have a vast knowledge of the area around Little Switzerland and the Blue Ridge Parkway , I'd feel better following you. We don't have any set route other than getting to Fontana Village from Marion and trying to hit up any picturesque driving possible worth exploring. I've done the Snake in 2015 so I don't need to see that again, I'm more interested in the Blue Ridge Parkway and LS region. A picture stop at the Biltmore Estate would be cool too, just a short stop, take a picture and keep moving type of deal, though they do have a good restaurant there if needed.

If I remember correctly the admittance fee at Biltmore is around $45 a car. You can go to the restaurant (maybe) for free, but I'm not sure of that either.

zeroptzero 02-03-2017 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24147877)
If I remember correctly the admittance fee at Biltmore is around $45 a car. You can go to the restaurant (maybe) for free, but I'm not sure of that either.

I think you can drive through the grounds , possible stop near the building and snap a picture and keep moving, and head towards the restaurant that is off near the winery. I think the admission is paid at the front entrance area once you are ready to walk in. I did the tour a few years ago but I don't know if it has changed.

zenairdave 02-05-2017 05:34 AM

Joey. It's your call but consider sticking with the group until Brevard. We won't be duplicating much from your 2015 trip. From Brevard, we go south and you can head west.
Biltmore has a front gate, no more driving in without paying from what I recall in 2015. It now has an on site Hotel that maybe we should look into for 2018? :wine:

Lovetodrive2000 02-05-2017 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24147921)
I think you can drive through the grounds , possible stop near the building and snap a picture and keep moving, and head towards the restaurant that is off near the winery. I think the admission is paid at the front entrance area once you are ready to walk in. I did the tour a few years ago but I don't know if it has changed.

You might want to contact them....

Our Special Offers | Biltmore

Looks like it is $40...... which includes a tour.... not sure you can just drive thru.

Scooterboy 02-05-2017 09:00 AM

Last time I was there you get stopped at the front gate near the visitor center. If you didn't buy a ticket you didn't get on the grounds.

zeroptzero 02-05-2017 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy (Post 24148578)
Last time I was there you get stopped at the front gate near the visitor center. If you didn't buy a ticket you didn't get on the grounds.

Okay thanks very much for that info, I think it changed since I was there last a number of years back. I won't bother driving through it then as it is too expensive. I love the place though. Thanks Scoots !

zeroptzero 02-05-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24148507)
Joey. It's your call but consider sticking with the group until Brevard. We won't be duplicating much from your 2015 trip. From Brevard, we go south and you can head west.
Biltmore has a front gate, no more driving in without paying from what I recall in 2015. It now has an on site Hotel that maybe we should look into for 2018? :wine:

Thanks Dave, that sounds like a good plan.

Sucks about the Biltmore, that place can be a real money pit, but I love going there. I think the Hotel rooms are crazy expensive aren't they ? The restaurants are very good, and the winery is a nice addition, the grounds are beautiful and the summer concert series is very unique.

Lovetodrive2000 02-05-2017 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24148628)
Thanks Dave, that sounds like a good plan. I will do that.

Sucks about the Biltmore, that place can be a real money pit, but I love going there. I think the Hotel rooms are crazy expensive aren't they ? The restaurants are very good, and the winery is a nice addition, the grounds are beautiful and the summer concert series is very unique.

We actually had dinner at the Bistro one year, as part of a drive..... and there is a great story about it.... happened as we were leading! :roflmao:

zeroptzero 02-05-2017 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24148660)
We actually had dinner at the Bistro one year, as part of a drive..... and there is a great story about it.... happened as we were leading! :roflmao:

You've got to tell the story now, you can't leave us guessing, lol. :)

Lovetodrive2000 02-05-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24148690)
You've got to tell the story now, you can leave us guessing, lol. :)

See me Friday or Saturday night in the lobby! :)

zeroptzero 02-05-2017 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24148699)
See me Friday or Saturday night in the lobby! :)

With some bourbon correct ? lmao :)

Lovetodrive2000 02-05-2017 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24148711)
With some bourbon correct ? lmao :)

Or rye..... that would work also.... preferably top shelf....

No bottom shelf sh*t like Lee brings! :LOL:

zeroptzero 02-05-2017 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24148740)
Or rye..... that would work also.... preferably top shelf....

No bottom shelf sh*t like Lee brings! :LOL:

Canadian's make some damn good Rye ;)

zenairdave 02-06-2017 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24148627)
Okay thanks very much for that info, I think it changed since I was there last a number of years back. I won't bother driving through it then as it is too expensive. I love the place though. Thanks Scoots !

In 2015, The plus one and I went to Biltmore on Sunday after the event. We were informed that on that particular day, It was full access pass or no entry. $75 per person. It is a very nice place and we had an amazing full buffet meal, (Another $100) and spent a fair bit of time wondering around. Flowers were not at peak by any means. You need to spend the day to get some value for your money. They have put some effort to keep private vehicles away from the "mansion" so pictures in front will be hard to achieve.

pwrinxs 02-11-2017 11:17 AM

So are you guys staying Wednesday night in Marion?

kgf3076 02-11-2017 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pwrinxs (Post 24152111)
So are you guys staying Wednesday night in Marion?

I believe they are, Adnan. I reserved a block of rooms for them and I believe all the rooms are gone.

PJCC 02-11-2017 01:24 PM

WHAT??? Last year it was Thursday.

zenairdave 02-11-2017 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by PJCC (Post 24152161)

yes, and this year it is Wed. :wine:

kgf3076 02-11-2017 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by PJCC (Post 24152161)

Going to have to hurry to get there. When you let the chef at Fontana go, he does some extraordinary food. Fortunately, I'm one of the few people who gets to sample how good the food can be...You can be part of this select group if you hurry. :D

PJCC 02-11-2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24152312)
Going to have to hurry to get there. When you let the chef at Fontana go, he does some extraordinary food. Fortunately, I'm one of the few people who gets to sample how good the food can be...You can be part of this select group if you hurry. :D

Well, I can't get there Wednesday. So the restaurant in Gatlinburg will have to do.

Lovetodrive2000 02-11-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24149033)
In 2015, The plus one and I went to Biltmore on Sunday after the event. We were informed that on that particular day, It was full access pass or no entry. $75 per person. It is a very nice place and we had an amazing full buffet meal, (Another $100) and spent a fair bit of time wondering around. Flowers were not at peak by any means. You need to spend the day to get some value for your money. They have put some effort to keep private vehicles away from the "mansion" so pictures in front will be hard to achieve.

You mean like this?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...5971d11e04.jpg

zenairdave 02-22-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24152334)

Nice photo but I dont see any AP2's

kgf3076 02-22-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24158271)
Nice photo but I dont see any AP2's

That picture was taken in 1903. :D

Lovetodrive2000 02-22-2017 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24158343)

Ummm... try 100 years later! :LOL:

zenairdave 02-22-2017 12:01 PM

I knew Ken was old but 1903? :scratch:

Lovetodrive2000 02-22-2017 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24158424)
I knew Ken was old but 1903? :scratch:

He was in his early 30's at that time! :roflmao:

kgf3076 02-22-2017 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24158473)
He was in his early 30's at that time! :roflmao:

50's dammit!

zenairdave 03-24-2017 05:23 PM

It seems to me that the Canadian Dragon trip starts in one month. Five consecutive tire eating days before peeling home. It always goes by so fast. :wine:

Bay_S2K_Area 10-28-2017 07:52 AM

Bike rack........yes!!!!

kgf3076 10-29-2017 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bay_S2K_Area (Post 24375184)
Bike rack........yes!!!!

Great! A different kind of organic speed bump! :)

Scooterboy 10-29-2017 07:55 AM

Is it time to go yet? :lalala:

Lovetodrive2000 10-29-2017 12:09 PM

Oh come on now folks..... this is 2017's Spring event thread!!!! :)

kgf3076 10-30-2017 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24375543)
Oh come on now folks..... this is 2017's Spring event thread!!!! :)

It was so good we're going to do it again.

zenairdave 10-30-2017 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy (Post 24375466)
Is it time to go yet? :lalala:

We left for this one 7 months ago. Stay tuned for the 2018 version.

kgf3076 10-30-2017 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24376146)
We left for this one 7 months ago. Stay tuned for the 2018 version.

Are you there yet?