Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Driving Smart on the Roads

Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Driving Smart on the Roads

We all realize that the Dragon and surrounding roads are becoming more popular. Now more first time cyclists and drivers are coming to check out the Dragon. We all were first timers at one time and didn't know about the pull-offs for people who would like to go faster on the road. I have seen some people actually pass on the double yellow line. You put your and everyone else’s life in harms way when this is done. If you want to drive at a faster pace just pull off and wait for a while, the road will open up. Any passing on the double yellow line will not be tolerated. If you are caught passing on the double yellow you will be asked to leave and there will be no refund issued. We all want to come and enjoy the great roads and return home with no accidents and no injuries.

The list of driving hints.

1. Stay in your lane. Don't try to cut corners.

2. If you're going to use a pull-off, use your turn signals to let others know what you're going to do.

3. Just because the person in front of you can do something doesn't mean that you can. Stay within YOUR driving skill level.

4. If someone wants to go faster than you, let them around you using the pull-offs. Don't try to speed up and drive above your skill level. This is not a race.

5. If someone pulls off to let you pass, thank them by honking the horn and/or waving. Just be careful and observant when going around them.

6. Be aware that some of the pull-offs are very short in length and a person might run out room trying to pull over.

7. Respect slower drivers and cyclists on the Dragon. They have the same right to the road as you do. Don't tailgate. Do NOT cause a wreck.

8. If you get caught behind a slow driver, pull off and wait for a while before continuing your drive.

9. If someone slows down and waves you by, think before you pass. If unsafe, stay in your lane until it is safe to pass.

10. Be careful and smart during your stay.

11. If you get behind someone who is not staying in their lane and driving safely, slow down and/or pull over and let that person get far ahead of you. It’s much better to be safe than sorry.

12. NEVER pass on the shoulder on the Cherohala Skyway (or anywhere else).

13. You are accountable for the actions of your guests. If they neglect the rules, they will be asked to leave and will not be allowed back.

14. Drive defensively.

15. For group drives, gas up the evening before the drive. A good rule of thumb is, if you have a half tank or less you probably won't have enough gas to complete the group drive.

16. Drive with both hands on the steering wheel at the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock position. You must be prepared to react quickly so be prepared.

17. We are all adults here trying to enjoy the great roads and people. If you want to drive above your skill level, remember you are taking your life and maybe some elses, in your hands. Remember, DRIVE SMART, we want to see you at the next Dragon event.

And above everything else, have a good time.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Safety is paramount

Don't cross the double yellow, peeps, (I know I'm not on a high horse here, but Bama is right- don't do it)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-20-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Well said Bama. If anyone in our group did this, they should be excluded from future events. This is not tolerated
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Exactly...this should be a freakin sticky.

THE NUMBER ONE RULE AT ANY DRAGON EVENT...NEVER EVER EVER CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE

So I'm not a hypocrite, I too have made this MISTAKE...and yes, it's ALWAYS a mistake to do it in the end. I do make a conscious effort to follow this rule explicitly, and if you're driving "so fast" that you're "forced" to cross...you're doing it wrong. Slow your ass down.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Exactly...this should be a freakin sticky.

THE NUMBER ONE RULE AT ANY DRAGON EVENT...NEVER EVER EVER CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE

So I'm not a hypocrite, I too have made this MISTAKE...and yes, it's ALWAYS a mistake to do it in the end. I do make a conscious effort to follow this rule explicitly, and if you're driving "so fast" that you're "forced" to cross...you're doing it wrong. Slow your ass down.

So sticky the thread there, Mr. Moderator :sticky:
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm not a moderator of this forum florider
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I'm not a moderator of this forum florider
Oh, you're not?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts