Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Early Friday morning drive to Benton's Smokehouse

Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 988 Likes on 674 Posts
Default Early Friday morning drive to Benton's Smokehouse

Guess this is the first time that I've publicly mentioned Bentons Smokehouse and their hickory smoked bacon. I generally go there on Saturday after the drive to Tellico Plains (and probably will again this time) but so many people seem interested I thought I'd just lead a drive down there. It's a trip across the Dragon and then a lot of back road and then 4lane boredom. The end of the trip is worth-while however. Bentons Smokehouse website is here.

This isn't really an organized drive, just an impromptu get together. If you'd like to drive down with me, you can post here if you'd like or just meet me at the parking lot in front of Wildwood Grill around 7:00 am on Friday morning. We'll be back in plenty of time to go on the Friday's are for Franklin Drive (but not in time for the newbie drive, sorry). If you really want to go, you can follow me on Saturday from Tellico Plains and then back to Fontana and miss Phill's great Cherohala Skyway drive.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 1,430 Likes on 776 Posts

I'll give you the $30 for the 4 pound pack, since I'll be on Bama's Newbie drive.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not impromptu if you plan ahead. Just sayin'...
Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Man I have to try some of that bacon, and I should bring some home to the wife too. Good preservative free bacon is hard to find.

I need some good bacon to make pasta carbonara when I'm in my cabin at Fontana Village.

Browsing through their website I seen their aged country hams, they look very interesting. Italians have something called prosciutto ham, would that be similar to the Italian version Ken ? Like a dry cured ham you eat as-is without cooking , maybe sliced up ?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Man I have to try some of that bacon, and I should bring some home to the wife too. Good preservative free bacon is hard to find.

I need some good bacon to make pasta carbonara when I'm in my cabin at Fontana Village.

Browsing through their website I seen their aged country hams, they look very interesting. Italians have something called prosciutto ham, would that be similar to the Italian version Ken ? Like a dry cured ham you eat as-is without cooking , maybe sliced up ?
It's not really like prosciutto but it is dry cured similar to good Parma ham. Slice and and eat. I'd suggest you get some of the center slices and try those first. Another thing, there is no way you could possibly sneak this across the border and if you do come with me, you'll see why.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
It's not impromptu if you plan ahead. Just sayin'...
ain't no plannin' here. If you are there, great! iff'n you ain't, tough break. I never promised anybody this would be organized.. (and there's damn little plannin' to reiterate).
Old 03-16-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1426549889' post='23542811

It's not really like prosciutto but it is dry cured similar to good Parma ham. Slice and and eat. I'd suggest you get some of the center slices and try those first. Another thing, there is no way you could possibly sneak this across the border and if you do come with me, you'll see why.
Okay that sounds good, center slices may work. Thanks Ken !
Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess this is the first time that I've publicly mentioned Bentons Smokehouse and their hickory smoked bacon. I generally go there on Saturday after the drive to Tellico Plains (and probably will again this time) but so many people seem interested I thought I'd just lead a drive down there. It's a trip across the Dragon and then a lot of back road and then 4lane boredom. The end of the trip is worth-while however. Bentons Smokehouse website is here.

This isn't really an organized drive, just an impromptu get together. If you'd like to drive down with me, you can post here if you'd like or just meet me at the parking lot in front of Wildwood Grill around 7:00 am on Friday morning. We'll be back in plenty of time to go on the Friday's are for Franklin Drive (but not in time for the newbie drive, sorry). If you really want to go, you can follow me on Saturday from Tellico Plains and then back to Fontana and miss Phill's great Cherohala Skyway drive.
The "LOCALS" rate this place as #1
Old 03-17-2015, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue

The "LOCALS" rate this place as #1
You can add the locals in the DC Metro area to that list. Benton's comes to the Bethesda Farmers market and sells out before noon.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bacon is proof that there is god and that God loves us.

Quick Reply: Early Friday morning drive to Benton's Smokehouse