Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

First time at the dragon

Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First time at the dragon

OK, so this year is my first time waking the dragon. I am very excited to say the least. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things I would wish I brought with me. I am already bringing stuff like clothes and toiletries so I am talking about something I may have otherwise overlooked like a video camera and mount to tape the runs I do or something like that... Anything?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Extra quart of oil
FRS radio
beer / liqour
advil (see above)
camera
car wash supplies
snacks
a couple rags
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

FRS radio w/ subchannels is a must. Your cell phone will not work anywhere within an hour of the cabins.

If you've never done a drive like this, dramamine might be worth having. It's usually in short supply at the gas station. If you have a first-time passenger this is a must-have.

The weather can be fairly volatile in April. It could be in the 80s, or it could be in the 30s. There's unfortunately always a chance of the wet stuff. Bring some warm clothes and a parka/windbreaker of some form, as well as whatever you wear when it's 80.

Most importantly, bring a good attitude and leave your ego at home.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I bring a small tool kit for emergencies. The duct tape actually DID save my ass last year.

Remember to bring the key to your wheel lock.

It wouldn't hurt to have a spare set of brake pads, even if they are worn, they might end up being better than what's on the car if you REALLY cook 'em good. At the very least, I would reccomend some spare brake fluid. It is not uncommon to overheat the fluid which results in a spongy brake pedal. This is easily fixed with a quick bleed.
There will be people there who have track experience and are used to bleeding brakes in a parking lot.

I'd go a little further than above and suggest two quarts of oil. I ended up borrowing a quart from someone, and someone else wanted to borrow a quart from me.

WSB is correct about the swings in weather. We did a group drive and it was COLD and wet when we started out, it dried rapidly then got warmer and warmer to hot, then by the evening it got cool again. A light jacket in the car is a good idea.

If you are a wash and wax wacko, bring supplies to wash your car with.

A camera.

There are people that do take video on their runs, so if you want to, you can do the same.

You are probably also going to want a folding chair for hanging out at cabin parties.

Matches also seemed to be in short supply last year.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 AM

Good lists! thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sunscreen and a hat!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM

Dreadlocks!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM

I suggest firearms.

Ask some folks about our trip a few years back...
Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are staying at Fontana at a cabin...bring food. They have a complete kitchen (fridge, stove, silverware, plates, pots/pans). There are no restaurants other than the those at the resort for many miles. And the resort restaurants are expensive.

Breakfast food I think is most helpful as the only restaurant open for breakfast is rediculously expensive for a poor buffet.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber' date='Mar 19 2007, 08:22 PM
If you are staying at Fontana at a cabin...bring food. They have a complete kitchen (fridge, stove, silverware, plates, pots/pans). There are no restaurants other than the those at the resort for many miles. And the resort restaurants are expensive.

Breakfast food I think is most helpful as the only restaurant open for breakfast is rediculously expensive for a poor buffet.

Quick Reply: First time at the dragon