Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

The Metro Crew's "MISFIT MOUNTAIN MAYHEM" run to Fontana

Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Metro Crew's "MISFIT MOUNTAIN MAYHEM" run to Fontana

The Metro Crew will be heading to DFR on Wednesday, Sept 11th. Scammedon, Rudman, Ascam28 and funat9000rpm are heading to Tazewell/Marion, Va (the back of the dragon)on Tuesday the 10th. The rest of our group (myself and shareall, parrot and Dolores) are leaving NYC @ 2am Wedsday, meeting up with the first group in Tazewell around 11am. Once we arrive, we are going to kickoff the most ambitious and very insane run, "MISFIT MOUNTAIN MAYHEM". This run will include (we hope) the 5 major roads en route to Fontana Village check-in:

BACK OF THE DRAGON
THE SNAKE
HELLBENDER
THE DRAGON
CHEROHALA SKYWAY

Lunch will be after the run through BOTD into Marion, at the restaurant across from the General Francis Marion Hotel, Macado's, (142 E. Main St. Marion, VA 24354 276-783-2115) I'll post the link to their website from home later. Those that have eaten here know the food is very good and reasonable.

We hope to depart there no later than 1pm, gassed and ready to head down 81 South to "The Snake", and then around the back roads to "The American Autobahn" and then on towards Fontana Village. The goal is to save check in till last, so when we hit 28, we intend on passing FV onto Hellbender, out through the Dragon, to the Cherohala. Completing the loop back to 129 and returning across Hellbender to Fontana for check-in just before sunset.

This is truly going to be an IRON-MAN like driving event. Especially for my group that's leaving weds am. I personally am very excited to be a part of this insanity. And if you havent experienced BOTD, or The Snake, i suggest you consider it. Yes, it will be a long haul. But we're all.... "drivers". And, we're also not stupid. If we see that it is impossible to complete, we have decided to leave off the Skyway run and at the very least get 4 of the 5, and hit the Skyway the following day. But every intention is to complete the challenge in one shot.

Scammedon
Rudman
Ascam28
S2LEGEND and Shareall
BFAmazon aka Parrot and Dolores
Funat9000rpm
kfg3076
TW00Si
Billman250

Anyone else up for the challenge? Meet us in Tazewell, Va @ 11am Weds and let's do it!

Due to the time considerations, we are departing Tazewell PROMPTLY at 11am!
[attachment=44169:misfit.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails The Metro Crew's "MISFIT MOUNTAIN MAYHEM" run to Fontana-misfit.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 AM

The Back of the Dragon is Rt 16 between Tazewell and Marion, Virginia. http://backofthedragon.com/ It's 32 miles of very technical off and on camber switchbacks. The road was in pretty bad shape when we went in April, because they just had an ice storm. Scammedon drove it last year in August and the road was in great shape.

The Snake is Rt. 421 is between Bristol and Mountain City, Tennessee. 33 miles ans 489 curves. This has a nice combination of switchbacks and curves and the road is really well maintained. http://www.421thesnake.com/
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just drove this route coming back from Gettysburg meet with a few modifications. I was with the Metro crew in the Spring and enjoyed the runs we had. The attached map is a variation of your plan; but, it adds some twisty road to Blowing Rock, NC and then on to Little Switzerland and the Hwy 226 and 226A loop (wicked road). You can easily see the route changes. I left Bristol at about 9am, lunch at noon in Little Switzerland, and was driving through Tail of the Dragon at about 4pm. However, I detoured to Bryson City to see the "Road to Nowhere".
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...m&z=8&dirflg=d
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 991 Likes on 677 Posts

I'll get in touch with The General Francis Marion and see if I can get the same rate we had in the Spring. I can be there on Tuesday which means we can do one of the special dinners Tuesday night for folks being there early.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgf3076
I'll get in touch with The General Francis Marion and see if I can get the same rate we had in the Spring. I can be there on Tuesday which means we can do one of the special dinners Tuesday night for folks being there early.
NICE! thanks Ken.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Sweet!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in. Thanks, Phil

We've got some celebrating to do, gents
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Just make sure y'all keep it down this time. Don't want to ruin anyone else's dinner . LOL
Old 08-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 991 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by S2LEGEND
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1376598426' post='22726628

Just make sure y'all keep it down this time. Don't want to ruin anyone else's dinner . LOL
You have to show up on Tuesday so we CAN ruin someones dinner .
Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by S2LEGEND' timestamp='1376608444' post='22726932
[quote name='kgf3076' timestamp='1376598426' post='22726628']

You have to show up on Tuesday so we CAN ruin someones dinner .
[/quote]

Are you suggesting I'm a disruptive influence?

Quick Reply: The Metro Crew's "MISFIT MOUNTAIN MAYHEM" run to Fontana