Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RtD2017 - The Stargazing Drive

Old 04-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RtD2017 - The Cherohala Stargazing Pitch Black Drive

Join us for a late night drive & stargazing at 4,500 ft elevation along the Cherohala Skyway. This year will be particularly good as we're within 48 hours of a new moon. We will gather Thursday evening in the Wildwood Grill parking lot at about 7:00pm and a second group at 8:00pm. We will break into a spirited and casual group for the drive up and back to the Hooper Bald Overlook. On arrival, turn off all of your lights and let your eyes adjust to the dark, clear skies and see more stars than you have in a very long time. With decent seeing conditions you can expect to easily see the Milky Way (our home galaxy), and with the help of telescopes & cameras, expect to see even more. If you have a telescope, spotting scope, birding scope, or binoculars, be sure to bring them to get the most from this experience.

As we are at about 4,500 ft elevation on top of a mountain range at night, plan for cool, windy weather and dress with plenty of layers. We will stay probably until 11, though those that wish to leave early are welcome to. Please depart in pairs or more, to ensure a safe return.

Preserving your night vision is very important, so please remember to turn off all white lights (headlights, dome lights, trunk lights, cell phones, and so on) and keep them off for the duration of the experience. Red lenses can be purchased online to put over your regular flashlight, which will help preserve night vision when light is needed (though on a clear night, there is typically enough star/moon light to see well enough for walking around & setting up gear).

NOTE: The timing of this drive is VERY subject to change, as clear weather conditions are crucial for good viewing. Check the event board in Fontana Lodge for any updates, and call Andy (habitforming) or Adnan (prwinxs) on channel 4.0 if you are unsure. I will try to keep this thread updated until the last minute with our most current plans. If Thursday is not favorable, this might be moved to Friday or Saturday evening instead, although I prefer not to interfere with the beer or bourbon swaps.

Tentative Date / Time: Thursday April 27 @ 9pm from Wildwood Grill

Attendees Group 1:

1.) Habitforming
2.) PwrinxS
3.) darcyw
4.) Ted (purple Mustang)
5.) TvoS2K
6.) TheStigSC + ?
7.) cars2kman
8.) Ami (TransAm)?
9.) Two-of-Swords
10.) Artin?
11.) hbherring
12.) SkiLLeDS2000
13.) Billman250
14.) 2NDW1FE
15.) akalyptos22 + ?
16.) Derka
17.) Bama Dave
18.) gfacter
19.) WVCR-V

More slots can be opened up if there is interest. If you have a ? next to your screen name, please confirm and update status. If anyone has any safety cones, please bring them to this drive. Thank you!

Astronomical forecast: Sassafras Ridge Clear Sky Chart

https://binged.it/2nye9Es

Last edited by pwrinxs; 04-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

+1- darcy.

I'm happy to lead/follow at a brisk pace.

darcy
Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Go ahead and remove me..... thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 285 Likes on 220 Posts

As much as I would love to do this, I'd better stay at the Lodge. I may be drowning my sorrows, as my marriage will be finalized that morning in Ohio (coming about 90 minutes behind the OKI group). Plus BillMan250 will want the Berlina to start the TCT/VA early Friday morning.

Cheers
Jamie
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to join, and get some shots. I am a passenger, so I'd have at least one other with me, but possibly more. Is there a limit to this drive? Our group is going to be 6 people and they all might want to come.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we get to Fontana in time and the weather is good, I'll join. A couple other cars from Erie, PA may also join. We'll be driving down with the OKI group from Cincinnati. I guess as we get closer we can keep an eye on the weather and make more solid plans. Let me know if you need to know exactly who and how many cars.

Thanks,

-Taso
Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Go ahead and remove me..... thanks!
You got it!

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
As much as I would love to do this, I'd better stay at the Lodge. I may be drowning my sorrows, as my marriage will be finalized that morning in Ohio (coming about 90 minutes behind the OKI group). Plus BillMan250 will want the Berlina to start the TCT/VA early Friday morning.

Cheers
Jamie
Hey no problem! If you change your mind, just post here. Billman is supposed to do a once over and clutch adj for me early Friday also.

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
I would love to join, and get some shots. I am a passenger, so I'd have at least one other with me, but possibly more. Is there a limit to this drive? Our group is going to be 6 people and they all might want to come.
That will be great. There is no limit to this drive but we will probably break into 3 groups: spirited, moderate, and casual with about 5 to 10 cars each. Just update here when you know for sure so we can divide the groups up properly.

Originally Posted by akalyptos22
If we get to Fontana in time and the weather is good, I'll join. A couple other cars from Erie, PA may also join. We'll be driving down with the OKI group from Cincinnati. I guess as we get closer we can keep an eye on the weather and make more solid plans. Let me know if you need to know exactly who and how many cars.

Thanks,

-Taso
Great point. There is a possibility this drive may be moved to a different day if its raining although we prefer it doesn't interfere with other scheduled events. We will know when its closer I guess. Go ahead and get some screen names / number of cars / pace of driver if possible. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, my wife and I are very interested in this drive and would like to be added to the list if at all possible. We will be in town Wednesday am. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:22 PM

List updated! At the rate this drive is growing, we may need a 3rd group leader. Any takers? Darcy?

Last edited by pwrinxs; 04-03-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

With the drive being later in the evening you shouldn't have an issue with the size of the group. We took a group about the same size a couple of years ago. Would like to be included also.

Quick Reply: RtD2017 - The Stargazing Drive