Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

State Troopers on the Dragon?

Old 08-07-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Troopers on the Dragon?

So what's the latest on law enforcement presence on the Dragon? I have only been to the Dragon once......I think it was two years ago (where does time go?). I recall that there were troopers present parked along the Dragon, but I didn't see them pulling anyone over. I was under the impression that speed wasn't a problem as long as drivers were in control. Yet, I have read a couple of threads discussing heavy patrolling and increased fines on the Dragon? Is this true? That would certainly have a fun-killing effect on the Dragon........
Old 08-09-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Police enforcement is much higher this year; bordering on ludicrous at times (7-10 vehicles). The fines haven't changed, the rate of them getting doled out has. The main reason is because there are more and more people on the road doing more and more stupid things. A couple bike fatalities/serious injuries this spring pretty much did it in. It's still fun, but keep some things in mind:
  • DO NOT cross the double yellow line at any time! I can't reiterate this enough. If a police officer sees you across the yellow, you will get a reckless driving citation. The outside white line is fair game, but stay out of the gravel. This is both for consideration of other drivers and particularly the bikers (for whom gravel can mean death) and for not drawing attention.
  • Use the 2 way radios. If you see a cop, call out the position (there are mile markers) and direction he's going, if you hear someone call a cop on the radio, repeat it back - the nature of the road prevents the signal from getting more than a mile or so down the road, so this effectively sends the message "down the road".
  • Drive within the limits - yours, the cars, the roads, and particularly for traffic levels. It's not a racecourse, the margin for error is slim, and we don't want the S2000 group getting a bad reputation. The WRX and R32 groups have it; most of the people I've talked to praise our group.
  • If there is an accident during the day and the police come, they won't leave until the evening. If you know they're there, it's probably time for alternate roads - the Cherohala is great if you've never driven it before. Otherwise, ramp it down a notch.
  • If you really want to drive fast, go during the week. The enforcement is mostly non-existent.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:07 AM

The problem with the road is the apexes of the turns are out past the yellow line by about a foot.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:10 AM

I reiterate - it's not a racecourse. It's possible to drive very fast without using the other lane.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:17 AM

Correct Billy,

But if you have someone who is driving who drives to the apex as habit, you will cross the line.

Obviously if this is something that people attempt they should be cognicent of the oncoming traffic and the possible citations involved.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info......however, not really what I was getting at. I do not fancy myself a track racer on the streets. I fear death and therefore like to drive in control (including staying in my lane, on the road, etc.).

My intended question is, will you be cited for driving in excess of posted speed limits even if you are driving in control (staying in your lane, not letting your back end break loose, etc.). I enjoy a spirited drive, but am not looking at becoming one of the roadside memorials. On the other hand, driving the draqon at posted speed limits would be about as much fun as driving the autopia at disneyland.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:32 AM

It's tough to enforce speeding... you can speed (reasonably) without getting harassed.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 AM

I would like to add that not all police officers are in marked cars. On several occasions there have been officers in civilian cars (Silver F150 FX4x4, Maroon Durango) citing cars & bikes for passing on double yellow. One rider I spoke with told me that the driver of the Silver FX4x4 waved him by, and then pulled him over and cited him for passing on the double yellow.

As for getting a speeding ticket. Most of those occur on the roads leading to the dragon. I think that there has been a big crack down on HWY. 28. Also, the portion of HWY. 129 that runs along the river in TN is another location that officers patrol. The speed limit is 40 mph, but everyone does about 70-80 mph.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:10 AM

I usually go 45-50 along the lake... seen too many cops patrolling it.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:11 AM

Courtesy of tailofthedragon.

Quick Reply: State Troopers on the Dragon?