Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Things to do at Dragon

Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to do at Dragon

I'm headed to the Dragon on Tuesday of next week (5/8), and I want to make sure I hit all the "must go" spots.
What should I plan on doing, and where should I go? I'll be there for lunch, so I'd like to hit the popular place for lunch, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Other than Robbinsville, Deal's Gap and the Bistro at Fontana (expensive and I think all the wait staff is on a lot of downers) are the only places to really eat.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Dragon burger at Deal's Gap is a must! That's also the main hang-out place to watch all the cars and bikes come and go at the Dragon.

If you're staying over, I'd recommend Fontana Village Lodge (they have good week-day lodge rates; ask about the Dragon Slayers discount)or the MicroTel in Robbinsville. For dinner, at Fontana, the Wildwood Grille has less expensive casual fare. The lodge restaurant is nice but pricier. Note that Robbinsville is in a dry county, so no booze with dinner. They do sell it at Fontana and Deal's Gap.

You should have a great day just driving the Dragon, but lots of folks like the Cherahola Skyway nearby and Hwy 28 South to Franklin. Just depends on which way you're coming in/departing from. Enjoy the Dragon and check out coming to DragonBall Run in September.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses!
Sounds like I'll check out Deal's Gap for lunch. Depending how late we end up there I'll see about grabbing dinner at Wildwood.

The girlfriend and I are talking about taking the other S up to DBR in September if time allows. This was a last minute trip idea with one of my buddies.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun! Since it's a week night, you should call Fontana ahead of time to see if the Grill is open on Tuesday nights yet. They may be Thurs-Sun only before Memorial Day, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smccoy
Have fun! Since it's a week night, you should call Fontana ahead of time to see if the Grill is open on Tuesday nights yet. They may be Thurs-Sun only before Memorial Day, but I'm not 100% sure.
The grill is only open on weekend I've checked last time.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
Originally Posted by smccoy' timestamp='1335813566' post='21656375
thats in april bro...im pretty sure its open all week in september
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
Originally Posted by smccoy' timestamp='1335813566' post='21656375
Not sure when it starts... but from their website....

Call the Grill for take-out pizza and more if you plan on dining in tonight. Join us for lunch or dinner, seven days a week.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Not sure when it starts... but from their website....

Call the Grill for take-out pizza and more if you plan on dining in tonight. Join us for lunch or dinner, seven days a week.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smccoy
A Dragon burger at Deal's Gap is a must! That's also the main hang-out place to watch all the cars and bikes come and go at the Dragon.

If you're staying over, I'd recommend Fontana Village Lodge (they have good week-day lodge rates; ask about the Dragon Slayers discount)or the MicroTel in Robbinsville. For dinner, at Fontana, the Wildwood Grille has less expensive casual fare. The lodge restaurant is nice but pricier. Note that Robbinsville is in a dry county, so no booze with dinner. They do sell it at Fontana and Deal's Gap.

You should have a great day just driving the Dragon, but lots of folks like the Cherahola Skyway nearby and Hwy 28 South to Franklin. Just depends on which way you're coming in/departing from. Enjoy the Dragon and check out coming to DragonBall Run in September.

Quick Reply: Things to do at Dragon