Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Homestead pointers?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Homestead pointers?

First time here so I know there are places to gain more. T1 I worked up to Flat(no lift) by the end of the day. More speed into 6? Is 8 a 2nd or 3rd gear corner for you guys? I'm going to do more trail braking there(8) next time for sure. My best time on the AIM was 1:51.5. RS3 17x9 Square KW Clubsport GTC200 Puddymod Front Splitter Stock motor, factory tune
Suggestions?
Thanks
https://youtu.be/EX1za6cDBOU
Old 06-10-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Your alignment is stock? Rule of thumb, if your out of the corner, the wheel is straight, and your still not into VTEC then you should be down a gear. Try not to get into a routine. Try different lines and gears in the questionable corners till you find what works. I hate when I get home and think, damn it I forgot to try this or that.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
Your alignment is stock? Rule of thumb, if your out of the corner, the wheel is straight, and your still not into VTEC then you should be down a gear. Try not to get into a routine. Try different lines and gears in the questionable corners till you find what works. I hate when I get home and think, damn it I forgot to try this or that.
About -3* front and about -2.5* rear.
I usually am good about using more of the track but I wanted to try to get a feel for "the line" as it was my first time there. I was way out of Vtec at 8 and hating that waiting feeling!
thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

T1: Don't lift until you clear the rumble you've travelled about a car length, then drive to your turn-in point and brake in a straight line.

T2: Good, 3rd gear is ideal for this corner, but you could go a little quicker through there. You should be going fast enough through there in 3rd that you're juuuuuust out of VTEC, and you're using the entire track.

T3: Motor out of 2, pick you line and downshift to 2nd. 3 is almost a throwaway corner as all it does is set you up for 4. If you have to sacrifice the slightest bit of speed to basically make sure you take the perfect line through and into 4, do it.

T4: Line is good, but be in 2nd gear. Once you get the car on the line, you can use all of the throttle you want basically as the car sets down through the fish bowl, letting you power out in second. I'm usually shifting to third as I round 5.

T5: Good, obviously.

T6: Turn in a little later, and be in 2nd. The AP1 gearing is tall enough where you can use 2nd in this corner as well. I actually carry enough speed through 6 where I'll cross over the rumble on the outside and straighten the car on the concrete, essentially straddling the rumble strip on corner exit. This will let you shift up to 3rd before turning into 7.

T7: Good line. Pretty hard to screw this one up. Just remember to stay off the curb on the inside there. I know from experience that it wants to kill you if you hit it hard enough lol.

T8: You're braking a little too early, and it's causing you to turn in too early. T8 is alllll about exit speed, so you'll want to turn in late, be in 2nd gear and use all of the track as smoothly as possible there. Again, 3rd is too tall in an AP1 for 8.

T10: Looks good. You'll pick up more speed through there as your confidence and familiarity grows. Your line is good, although I would suggest turning in maybe a car length later, as it sets you up better for 11.

T11: Brake later for this turn, and carry more speed. If you carry more speed, the car will naturally wash out to the curb and you'll use all of the available track. You should basically turn in and maintain roughly the same steering angle all the way through the corner, and it will bring you about 3/4 of the way back across the track enroute to 12. It looks like the car is pretty stable through there, so you can definitely push it more through 11. Expect a little bit of slip and on track angle, that's when you know you've done it right.

T12/13: Turn in later for 12 and be in 2nd. You should brake in a straight line for 12 and downshift to 2nd. Again, 13 is all about exit speed, so 12 is a throwaway. A lot of the spec miata guys will use the back end of the curbing there on the outside of 12 (on your right) and turn in for 13 at that point. Personally, I don't use brakes between 12 and 13, use the curbing to set me up for 13. If there's not a cone on the left curbing at 13, you can mount that f@#ker and motor out of that corner. I was doing this on pretty worn RS3s in my AP1.

Overall, good lap and smooth driving. I think you just need to get more time at that track, or ride with someone there to pick up a bit more speed. Homestead is a lot of fun, and it basically requires you wring every little ounce of power out of the car to keep up with the big boys. Good driving though, and I hope to see you back out there again!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:43 AM

^^^
Thanks for the thorough analysis.
I will get back there as I am now based in SW.
I was pretty happy to wring the neck of the car at home but I had hundreds of laps on all those tracks, I also had to take a year away from the car and this was only my third day back (2 others at Sebring). so I am still getting my feeling back and my n*ts back down in my s*ck!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Community Organizer

No problem man. All the stuff you did will get fixed with seat time. I didn't see anything that showed me you were making any real fundamental mistakes.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
No problem man. All the stuff you did will get fixed with seat time. I didn't see anything that showed me you were making any real fundamental mistakes.
Listening to Ricky may be your first.........
Old 06-15-2016, 04:56 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1465914362' post='23992950
Listening to Ricky may be your first.........
Lol, apart from the obvious irony of me doling out advice on the subject, did you see anything particularly wrong with my post?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont take any advice from ricky flores he almost killed me their twice in one day
Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 PM

I didnt even read your post i just had heckling pre cocked and locked.

Quick Reply: Homestead pointers?