Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Shunpike route to The Tail of the Dragon

Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shunpike route to The Tail of the Dragon

We have tentative plans to visit in-laws in Knoxville near the end of October, and I'd like to try a backroads route vice I75, realizing it would take longer, but hoping to avoid the pell mell rush of traffic, and the probabilties of long tieups while Interstate wrecks are cleared.

US 441/129 north to Athens, then US 129 to Knoxville via the Dragon looks like the way to go.

Would appreciate comments from any who have driven this route, or alternate non-interstate highway routes, from peninsular Florida to the Dragon -- driving time, recommended motel(s), stops for regional foods, etc..
Old 08-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went to Road Atlanta just a couple of years ago and learned that it is about luck when traveling through or around Atlanta. Driving up ... arrived on the south-side interchange around 10am and rarely even slowed for traffic. Made it to Braselton right at 5 hours from Ocala (yes, HIGH rates of speed from Gainesville, Fl to south Atlanta ... i don't reccomend it without consultation first lol)

The return trip was over 7 HOURS!!! Traffic ... for no REAL reason. Very frustrating.

I would consider the Athens route as well ... please let us know what you decide and the results.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikecorpen,Aug 7 2006, 02:42 PM
We have tentative plans to visit in-laws in Knoxville near the end of October, and I'd like to try a backroads route vice I75, realizing it would take longer, but hoping to avoid the pell mell rush of traffic, and the probabilties of long tieups while Interstate wrecks are cleared.

US 441/129 north to Athens, then US 129 to Knoxville via the Dragon looks like the way to go.

Would appreciate comments from any who have driven this route, or alternate non-interstate highway routes, from peninsular Florida to the Dragon -- driving time, recommended motel(s), stops for regional foods, etc..
Please see my recent post.......mny good ways to get to the dragon.....many much better than the dragon.

On the road with the captain and 1st mate

PM if you have any questions
Old 08-08-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bandiscoot --Your experience on the return trip is the kind of thing I hope to avoid: long periods of stop-and-go (mostly stop) on the Interstate, often with no idea of why the delay. BTW, good luck with the Trail 90 restoration. My first experience with motorcycles was on a Trail 90 in an east Arkansas cottonfield. Love at first ride!

Captainbk -- Thanks for the link to your experience. I'll have to consider your opinion that the Dragon isn't the best solo ride, and will plot the other roads you describe.

If the alternate route comes off as planned, I'll surely post a description.