Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Time to change AP1 Retainers and Keepers?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to change AP1 Retainers and Keepers?

Hey guys,

Since I moved to Florida from Texas, the only thing that I miss the most is not having an engineer/mechanic who knows S2000 inside out and be able to work on my car like it's their own.

You can go to North Texas forum and see for yourself how everyone loves Marcucci:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=749003&st=0

He has been changing valve retainers and keepers in AP1s since 2004 and he is the best person to get any work done on your car.

I kept trying to look for someone who could change my retainers and keepers who have enough experience but I could not find anyone who has done a lot of S2000s and would not charge an arm and a leg.

With retainers and keepers on national backorder, a lot of people are facing cracked retainers issue in their AP1s.
I called HardTopGuy and he sold 4 kits of AP2 retainers in 3 days and he is on backorder too.

So I had to call Marcucci to come down here and help me with my car as he is the ONLY person I trust with my car. He works on your car as if it's his own and being an engineer by career, things cannot get any better.

He is coming down to Orlando on 15th or 17th of December to do mine and cvedral's car.

I talked him into doing a few more cars if I can get more interest in this.
He has done several cars and he can do a car in 2 to 3 hours and he is coming for one day, but when I talked to him he said he can stay for one more day at most and do a total of max 6 to 7 cars in 2 days which he would be doing a favor to us.

He is charging $200 labor per car as a favor to me since I have known him forever and have gone to him always in TX. His ticket to fly down here would be around $300 and me and cvedral are splitting the cost of the ticket, if we can get more people the cost would be even less for his ticket.

If any of you guys are interested in this offer, feel free to reply to this post or the post in North Texas if you have questions and let me know so I can add your name to the list. With the way things are right now, he will fly down on 15th or 17th, do just the two cars of mine and cvedral then we will show him around the Daytona beach area

I can personally vouch for this guy and anyone in North Texas can tell you how good of a mechanic/engineer he is.

He can get the parts retainers and keepers for around $100 and then he will charge $200 labor, I have been given quotes in FL from people of at least $400 for this job and some of them have never done this before, Marcucci has done tons of cars and he knows this engine inside out!

Sorry for a long post but just wanted to make sure you guys understand my position and why this $200 + parts + part of his airfare is a steal!

If you are interested post here and I will add your name to the list and then next week we can talk about $$.

So far we have:

1 - S2K_MoZo
2 - cvedral
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -

I hope nobody gets offended by my post, I am just trying to take care of my S and trying to help people. This is something everyone has been worried about and something a lot of people want to get done but most of the people don't want to get into this as it's a tricky job. I trust Marcucci and if you want to get this done, I would recommend to get it done while he is here or maybe drive to Dallas if you decide later
Thank you.

Regards,
Zo.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 PM

All,

I am friends with Zo here and he speaks the truth. Look at the thread and look at my retainers! I know its in the thread but there is NO sure fire way to know your retainers are good without removing them. All mine looked fine withe the cotters firm in place and none varying from one to another. However with a few more sprints through the gears at redline I most certainly would have been buying a new motor.

Marcucci is a great guy and works on hondas; specifically S2Ks (always 3 in his garage). He has even had motors from Europe shipped to him for rebuilds!!!! Get in on this while you can, assuming that you can get a hold of the AP2 retainers and cotters. A small price to pay to have an excellent mechanic ensure that dropping valves does not happen.

Further more Zo is an awesome guy and you can trust every word he says. Masa Allah ( I think I got that right LOL)

-John
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't think I need my retainers now but definitely a good idea.
I also have been trying to find the 1 go to guy here but doesn't seem to be like that in FL that I can tell yet.
I know in NY there were a couple awesome guys who would work on everyones car as if it was their own. Never want to take my car to a shop so only way I will have someone else work on my car.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No more takers?

I posted this in the NTx thread...

I have made arrangement through Endyn (great, internationally known engine developers local to me) to sell their Eibach-made dual valve springs for $300/set, custom chromoly retainers for $150 a set, and hardened keepers for $65 a set. If you choose to go with the upgraded springs, they will require new spring seat locators, which are $65, which will require new valve seals (another $70 incl. labor). So the total cost for upgraded springs/retainers is-

$300 Eibach dual springs
$150 Endyn Chromoly retainers
$65 Hardened keepers
$200 Retainer labor
$65 Dual spring seats
$70 Valve seals/install
-----
$850 Total for Dual Eibach Valve Springs, installed

This would represent a significant upgrade from stock, as they have been used in 11,000 RPM engines without failure.

These custom chromoly retainers and keepers are compatible with the OEM springs and seat locators, if you want to keep those (fine if you don't overrev) but still upgrade the retainers.

I'll have my first few sets of these this Monday, as well as an ETA on my OE Honda ones. I'll schedule a firm date to FL once I have an ETA on the Honda ones.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 PM

If I'm interested, how will I be able to get the parts in time?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM

I'm going to be bringing parts with me, unless somehow you guys can get parts before I can. I filled out a rush order form and waiver w/my local parts guys to get some priority with Honda's parts distribution channels. I ordered 7 sets, we'll see how fast I get them. Hopefully within the next week or so.

I will have two or three sets of aftermarket ones early next week, if you guys are interested in upgrading then we can probably shorten the lead time.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you rev any higher with the upgraded ones? Or would that require new springs and other internal work as well?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where is this taking place at? I am in southern Georgia/ northern Florida and I am actually about to tackle mine. I am just waiting on parts to come in.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 AM

It is possible for the work to be done at my house/garage in Ponce Inlet Fl. Might be a fun day at the beach for local s2ker's and get some work done and bring a fishing rod. I am in for the full kit, dual valve spring retainers keepers and such, complete kit Marcucci. Let me know how to pay for it if you need it in advance.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 PM

No need to pay in advance.

With the upgraded retainers, they will handle 11k easily, but the stock springs won't- you will get valve float beyond probably 10k rpms. If you want some serious overrev protection, get the upgraded springs. See an edit to my post about about some additional costs I forgot...

Quick Reply: Time to change AP1 Retainers and Keepers?