Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Trusted VAFCII Tuner

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah! Sounds like fun. I hope there are not any problems, as I am getting married the next day in Tampa (hence the trip through Jacksonville). Heh..... Car then wedding

I have sent him a PM (if his handle is "Mase"). If I do not hear back by next week, I will give him a ring. How busy does he stay?

I am planning a SC setup over the summer, so the VAFC will control the AFR for that. I just do not want to fork out an additional $1100 for an EMS. I would like to build the head before I get anything that can tune that aggressively.

Thanks again guys!

John
Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Since this is a piggy back system, I have heard people complain about their ECU's compensating and learning over time to switch back to stock settings negating the VAFC's tune and having to very frequently reset the ECU to get back their VAFC tune. Anyone else heard this or experienced it? I read it a couple years ago in the "Under the hood" section and I also installed a VAFC-1 on "JUSTBLAZE's" S2000 a long time ago. He also had it dyno tuned and gained 10 hp initially and the car felt much stronger but after about a week it started feeling a bit sluggish/stock again. We reset the ECU and it was fast and strong again but only for a limited time. Also most people have found that lowering the VTEC engagement point more than 500 rpm's deceases power significantly.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM

I had mine tuned by John vega, who is well known (tampa area) for his tuning... You can go on his website and see phearble.net...
He has tuned a lot of cars, made a lot of hp...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...seriously reconsider the head work. The EMS is much better suited to an FI install than the VAFC. You will probably find that there is not a lot of improvement left in the head from an airflow/velocity perspecitve...and you will spend more than the cost of an EMS to discover that. The EMS is relatively big hp in the bank.

Mase is normally pretty busy and frequently is paid to travel to tune (Europe, northern parts of the US, westcoast).

Go through Stage6 to schedule him. He's not online much, so emails and PMs are not always the quickest way to reach him.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM

I believe the ECU will compensate for all settings, except the WOT setting. If the TPS registers WOT, it will take the VAFC settings instead of the MAPS readings.

Thanks for the heads up. I will give them a call. I will let everyone know when I will be in town for the tune. I would like to check out some of you guys' rides... I should have my full sound system replaced by then as well.

I would not do the head work until the EMS goes in....

John
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Former Moderator

VAFC will correct partial throttle settings...but as mentioned the ECU will eventually learn over them. Trick is to reset your ECU just before the partial throttle corrections are mapped and then about once per week or every 2hrs of run time, reset the ECU. Takes about 1 min to reset the ECU...just pull the right fuse under the dash, wait 30 sec and then replace the fuse.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Ah. Well I am not really concerned with partial throttle settings . This thing will get its use at WOT. I think I might just get either the new Hondata or AEM 1050 when I get the SC this summer. Still not sure if that will happen (getting married, so finances are up in the air).

I am going to call Stage 6 on Monday to set up my appointment for June 7th (hopefully I can do it after 5pm). If not, I can always schedule it for the trip back. The VAFC and the interior trim panel its getting molded into got sent to Darkknight1999 today, so it should be back to me by the time I leave.

Later

John
Old 05-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Former Moderator

Mase is sometimes available on Saturdays too.

The Hondata thing sounds interesting...but really, do you want to get an RSX ecu and then change the sensors to fool it into thinking it's still in an RSX? Plus, the Hondata setup doesn't use the wideband from the RSX...the EMS will let you use a wideband. Your going to want that wideband for FI.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:57 AM

I want to say that Hondata now has one for the S2k, but its just as much as the AEM. It is a matter of who is better at tuning what in the area. I know they had one for the 2006+ S2k, and I think they came out with one for the 2000-2005 engines as well, but you need to update a few engine parts to 2006 (total of like $300-400 in parts) spec.

Can't do it Saturday, that is the wedding . I will give him a ring after work, and leave a message if they are closed.

Thanks again.

John
Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Former Moderator

Mase tunes both...

The issue with the Hondata for the s2k is that you either have to have an '06 (there's not really a way to move all the required '06 pieces to an '00-05 to make it work)...OR...you have to use the Hondata setup for the '00-05, which replaces your s2k ecu with an RSX ecu and then you have to buy RSX sensors to fool the new ecu into thinking that it is still in an RSX.

Quick Reply: Trusted VAFCII Tuner