Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Crashed my Car Last Night...

Old 12-03-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crashed my Car Last Night...

Just to prove that no stupid action goes unpunished, I decided to pass a very slow moving vehicle last night and ended up spinning my car out.

That would have been bad enough, but a poor kid happened to be coming the other direction at the time, and he ended up as collateral damage when my spin went over into his side of the road. Both the S, and the S10 pickup had to be towed from the scene. Naturally, the slow moving vehicle was unharmed and was free to continue on its merry way, albiet at a very slow rate.

I'm going to go look at the car today and see if I can put some plastic or something over the rear window glass that broke on the hard top. I had them tow it straight to Spirit West. The rear quarter is very badly damaged and I'm sure that the rear axle/suspension is in need of serious repair activities. In the light of day I should be able to better assess the overall damage.

Naturally, I got a whopper of a traffic citation. "operated motor vehicle careless and imprudent by passing vehicle on right and excessive display of speed causing accident". There's no doubt that an attorney will be required for this one - and it isn't going to be cheap either...

Greg
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear that another S went down... Good luck with everything... I am assuming that its pretty much totalled out then?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:27 AM

sorry to hear about your misfortune
Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully they'll be able to put the S back together vs. totaling it out.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:48 AM

Dang, sorry to hear about that. Keep your chin up and good luck with the court stuff.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:35 PM

NOOOOO!!!!

Sounds like you're okay .. that's good, Greg. The worst part is, then, your car. That sux.

Keep us posted on your health & status.

Maybe when someone says they "pulled a Ron" it might mean a little more (link)?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:39 AM

Man, that totally sucks. But sh!t happen, y'know, not much that can be done about that.

Sorry that you have to go through all this stress, but at least nobody was injured, and that's something to be thankful for.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I hope that you are OK.Sux about the S. Do you know what all the damages are yet? Totaled? Hope not. What a crappy time of the year to have this happen.

Was there ice on the road? What caused the spin-out?

Post pics if you can.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:49 PM

Sorry to hear about that. Luckily the cars were the only thing damaged. Body work on cars is a lot easier than people.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a chance to talk to my friends at Spirit West about the car today. Without considering mileage, Joe said my car is worth a bit over 20K, and that the insurance "danger" figure is 75% of its value.

That said, he told me that the state of Missouri passed a law a year or so ago that madates that all cars requiring 75% or greater (of value) in repair costs MUST receive a salvage title.

Since the insurance company is not making you whole if they leave you with a salvage title, they tend to lower that 75% value down into the 55-60% range in order to allow for unexpected repair costs that may be necessary to make the car as "good as it was before".

Ultimately, he said that he'd have to calculate out the total damage, but he thinks that my car will likely be close, if not over the "magic" value. We swapped out the wheels for OEM units and saw some of the suspension damage that is involved. The drivetrain seems OK, and Joe thinks it will be fine. The body of course, is another story entirely...

I'm thinking that a new car is likely in my future. I like the fact that the new cars have a stability control system now (would have stopped my spin if I'd had it Friday), but still want to know if they are planning on bringing the car up to "competitive" levels by increasing engine output. As such, if they total it, I'll have to consider waiting to see if they continue production into 2007 - hopefully with a power increase this time around.

I'd love to see the S2000 pumped up to the 270-300 range from the factory.

Greg

Quick Reply: Crashed my Car Last Night...