Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Hit a crazy pothole, what to do?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a crazy pothole, what to do?

So I was cruising along Brentwood around 35-40 mph when I totally smoked the biggest pothole in the history of the world with my front right wheel. Upon hitting it the suspension made a really really loud bang, upsetting the chassis and sending the shifter bouncing all over the place. I immediately thought that I blew a tire or bent a rim so I pulled over, but everything looked fine to me. The car doesn't seem to be exhibiting anything unusual, but at highway speeds it seems to try to track out of my lane towards the right. I don't have to fight the wheel, it seems to drive straight and only tracks right after I have let go of the wheel for a several seconds. I want to think that the car is just following the crown in the road, but I'm afraid that I bent a control arm or something.

So.. should I just buck up and pay to get it on an alignment rack, or should I first get under the car and check for bent parts before paying someone to point my wheels the right way? Or should I just stop being so paranoid and drive the car the way it is?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first impression is that you bent the wheel slightly. Any vibration in the steering when at higher speeds?

It could also be the control arm as you said, but I would think you would see more symptoms. How does the carr handle on full righ and left turns?

BTW.. Need more specifics on the location of the pothole. Serveral of us travel that road daily and will want to avoid it if at all possible.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 8BALL,May 13 2010, 07:36 AM
My first impression is that you bent the wheel slightly. Any vibration in the steering when at higher speeds?

It could also be the control arm as you said, but I would think you would see more symptoms. How does the carr handle on full righ and left turns?

BTW.. Need more specifics on the location of the pothole. Serveral of us travel that road daily and will want to avoid it if at all possible.
No vibrations as far as I can tell. I checked the wheel out pretty well and it didn't seem to have any deformations in it. I haven't had much of a chance to check the handling in different situations. I drove it around the block at slower speeds without any pulling, I didn't notice anything until I was on the highway this morning, and even then it could have just been the highway causing my car to pull to the right.

The location is between Daytona and Davis on Brentwood blvd. Right by the Enterprise Rent-A-Car building. They are clearly working on it, it has been patched and a few markings were painting near it. It blows me away that there isn't a sign or something up, I have never seen a pothole like that one.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for Enterprise and go to the corp location a few times a month. Fortunatley, I enter corporate park before the "Pot Hole" but do know the one you are referring to OUCH! . We have named it "Crater of the Moon"
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 8BALL,May 13 2010, 11:00 AM
I work for Enterprise and go to the corp location a few times a month. Fortunatley, I enter corporate park before the "Pot Hole" but do know the one you are referring to OUCH! . We have named it "Crater of the Moon"
Oh no now I'm even more paranoid that I messed something up when hitting it. Looks like I'm going to be under the car with a ruler all weekend.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get one of those lifetime alignment deals so it can come in handy later. If you have a slight bend, you won't be able to see it just by looking at the wheel. You would need to have someone drive next to you and watch the wheel. Also, check to see if you have any bubbles on the side walls (inside and outside) of the tire... but I would think you would feel this via vibration.

Keith
Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Could've bent a rim and have no way of knowing it without a balance. An alignment isn't a bad idea either if you have the time. But everyone has all ready said all that... I have a slightly bent rim from a STL pothole ( it balances ok) and it vibrates at 73mph but otherwise does just fine...
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the city to see if they will cover an alignment charge.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 AM

LOL you were probably right out side my house. LOL Were you on Brentwood Blvd right by OB Clarks? We have a rediculous one outside of our house.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fapout,May 26 2010, 05:36 AM
LOL you were probably right out side my house. LOL Were you on Brentwood Blvd right by OB Clarks? We have a rediculous one outside of our house.
Ha no it wasn't there but I know that stretch of road pretty well. That stretch of road is really nasty past strassner, I never really noticed it when I had my GTI but I do now.

Quick Reply: Hit a crazy pothole, what to do?