Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

My site

Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Diz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My site

Hey guys and gals, I've been working on my website now for about 4 months and I wanted to get opinions from everyone on what you think is good and what you think is bad, what I can do better etc etc. Right now this site is only for fun but in a perfect world someday I would like to be able to just do this for a living. Thank you for looking I appreciate the good and bad criticism.

www.beer-taster.com

Cheers!
Robert
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 AM

Looks great. I like it so far. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can think of any improvements.

hotlinked:

www.beer-taster.com
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<--- Can't understand how PBR got anything less than a 95/100 :-)

Some suggested favorites:

Abita Turbodog

um thats all I've got right now - I've been on a whiskey/tequila kick lately...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Diz

TheNick I really like Abita Turbodog, I had it before I decided to do this site so I have no review for it yet. I do remember liking the beer though. As for PBR it was in a can so that is why it didn't get the best score, it may sound odd but I find PBR in a bottle to be way better than the can.....however not a 95/100

Pong thank you for the compliment, keep me updated on anything you think I could do better. Criticism good or bad is welcome because it will only make you better.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Community Organizer

The Site is pretty good. Nicely done. No wonder you have been spending so much time at Tuck's.

You ratings to date are all pretty high. 80 or above. It may be hard to ask, but you'll need to try some "not as good" brands so folks vae a comparision. If you rate everything in the mid-to-high 80's over time all of your beers will fall into that category and appear to be the same, even if they are not.

When time allows would you consider these?:
Anchor Porter This beer was surprising for its intense chocolate flavor and tasty head. Delicious stuff, either with food or sipped by itself.
Guinness Extra Stout Very close to Anchor Porter, Guinness is a great beer. Slightly more bitter than I would like.
Pete's Wicked Ale Not as thick or chewy as the first few (but still pretty chewy), Pete's is a magnificent American brew. Nicely bitter, good flavor, and probably the best of these to drink with dinner.
Pilsner Urquell A good pilsner-style beer. It looks like Budweiser (Budweiser is theoretically a pilsner), but tastes orders of magnitude better. An excellent, light-bodied beer. It has the misfortune of being shipped in green bottles.
Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale Another good dark beer, good flavor, decent bitterness, and a pleasant yeasty aftertaste. Unfortunatley, this beer comes in a clear bottle, leaving it very susceptible to skunking.
Tucher Hefe-Weizen This is what a wheat beer should be. A light-weight beer with a wheat-and-yeast flavor that I can only call "dense". It's somewhat cloudy, but it's supposed to be. "Hefe" is German for "yeast", and there's a reasonable dose of yeast in this beer. Good with a wedge of lemon
Negra Modelo Although this may sound strange, this beer has the best aftertaste I've ever run across in a beer. The beer itself is dark, but doesn't taste like it -- its flavor more resembles a brown ale in strength. The flavor is somewhat sweet, which fits in wonderfully. The hops are nice and subdued, contributing to the flavor without being overpowering.
Oregon Nut Brown Ale An excellent medium-dark beer with a well-rounded flavor that is just slightly thin. The hop flavor is quite pleasant; it is distinguishable but not overpowering. It does rather well with food, and can hold its own when served with spicy or hot dishes.
Old Brown Dog Ale Courtesy of the Smuttynose Brewery in New Hampshire, Old Brown Dog Ale is a good brown ale with a strong, but pleasant, hop flavor. It does very well with food - Pizza.
Bass Pale Ale Bass, for all its advertising hype, is actually worth drinking. It has good body, a nice flavor, and compliments Guinness well as the other half of a Black and Tan.
Chimay Chimay is possibly the best-known of the many excellent beers brewed in Belgium. It is very smooth, with little hop bite. There is a faint sourness to it that I would attribute to the unique strains of wild yeasts available in Belgium. Quite tasty.
Samichlaus Bier 1994 Samichlaus is delicious, with an interesting combination of good sweet-malt flavor, strong winey and alcoholic background notes, and no appreciable hop flavor. It should not be drunk with food; rather, it should sipped and savored as an after-dinner drink. Perhaps share one with a friend. At about 18% alcohol, drinking a single bottle of it is about the same as drinking half a normal-sized bottle of wine. (As this beer is only made one day per year in Switzerland, and is rather expensive (US$5.00 per bottle), it is difficult to find.)
Mackeson Triple Stout Mackeson Triple Stout has a lovely malt flavor. The hops are extremely assertive, but not overpowering -- this is a nicely balanced brew. For those of you who are hop fiends, you should find this an excellent beer. I'm not a hop fiend....
Thomas Hardy's Ale This beer comes in half-size bottles; it's rather pricey even then at about US$3 per half-size bottle (for a single; four-packs were US$10). This beer claims to age extremely well, and improve in flavor for up to 25 years.
Flying Dog Doggie Style Ale It had a pleasant malt flavor, and they did something wonderful with the hops -- the flowery odor and flavor were there, but it was missing the excessive bitterness that usually goes along with the odor and flavor. The label says that they use dry-hopping to achieve this. I wonder if it's just the technique of dry-hopping, or the specific variety of hops they use.
Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Lager Beer Despite the pretentious-sounding name, this is a very nice beer. It is medium-bodied and extremely smooth, with a bit of an edge of hops that fits right in. Like the Nut Brown Ale, it had yeast in the bottom -- very pleasant.
Newcastle Brown Ale Nice flavor, nice bitterness, although the hopping is a bit too much. Tasty, although not great with food. Sadly, it comes in a clear bottle.

Waiting on other beer masters to comment - Pete/Jimmy
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Nother one of my favorites that I had at Dressel's today with lunch:

Big Sky Brewery(http://www.bigskybrew.com/)

Moose Drool Brown Ale - I've had it in the bottle and its only "meh" - LOVE IT draft though!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheNick,Dec 2 2009, 02:23 PM
Moose Drool Brown Ale .. LOVE IT draft though!
See you at Growlers then
Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Diz

[QUOTE] Nother one of my favorites that I had at Dressel's today with lunch:

Big Sky Brewery(http://www.bigskybrew.com/)

Moose Drool Brown Ale - I've had it in the bottle and its only "meh" - LOVE IT draft though!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 AM

While we are talking beers, anyone know where to get Odell 90 schilling from Ft Collins, CO on tap?

Growlers had it as a visiting tap, and Stella Blues on Morganford had it and then they shut down.

The bottle is alright, but off the tap it is delicious.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Diz

Pong I dunno but stlhops.com usually has a good handle on where to find beers on tap.