Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Soft top patching

Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft top patching

I'm a fairly new owner of an S2000 (LBP, 06, stock, can be seen auto crossing at the stadium), and I've been lurking the forums for the couple of months I've owned the car.

Anyway, some of the patches on my soft top have been poorly done by one of the previous owners of the car, so I decided to redo it myself. Just wanted to share the technique I'm using and hoping to hear some better ideas.

This is the shitty patch as it was. Looks like it was patched with umbrella material. Every time the top cycles through going down and up, this patch likes to peel off at the front and flutter on the freeway.
Soft top patching-bx9xq8n.jpg

I had to put a piece of Gorilla tape underneath to keep the water out. The adhesive is too sticky and just gets smeared around when the top actuates. It eventually folds in on itself.
Soft top patching-f4gy94r.jpg

Here's what the tear looks like.
Soft top patching-3vekd5u.jpg

Step 1: sew the tear back together. I was unable to close the tear without the thread ripping through the vinyl. Seems the vinyl is too far stretched in this position. Perhaps I should have used thicker thread. The point of this is to make the surface better for the adhesive to bond to.
Soft top patching-kwmyiid.jpg

Step 2: apply patch material to underside of the top. I'm using ballistic nylon that is cut quite a bit larger than the tear. This is glued on with E6000 fabric adhesive.
Soft top patching-dp5aofn.jpg

Step 3: apply a smaller patch material to cover the stitching. I probably would not do this if my stitching didn't look like shit.
Soft top patching-yjng0sq.jpg

That's about it. I'm allowing it a week to fully dry before I attempt to put the top down. It's not the prettiest solution (this top is beyond saving in terms of aesthetics), but it seems like it will at least be durable. Guess we'll see in time.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDz (09-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

let us know how they hold up howard. my01 has no rips (knock on wood)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM

Will do. I'm noticing some tender spots on the inside of my soft top too, I'm thinking of reinforcing it with the ballistic nylon before it rips through.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Nice. I stitched mine similar to yours and just put some VLP sealant over it. So far so good. Its shiny since its a clear resin but does the job keeping rain out.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDz (09-04-2019)
Old 11-05-2015, 03:15 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Preventive maintenance is preferred mandatory.

Here's a photo from elsewhere on the forum that I used to check my roof, sand off sharp points in the frame edges, and reinforce the inside of the roof where I could see a scratch in the fabric right where the rip shows above. I see no marks on the inside reinforcement area (no scratches) in 10,000 miles of driving. I nearly always put the roof up when parked so it can cycle several times a day.

--Chuck

Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

^You should also sand (and maybe wrap) the flat spot of the cross bar (just above the second and third arrow). That area caused my small tear.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:00 AM

Good info on the preventative maintenance. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much miles does your car have? might be my old one lol
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by isusu8o8
how much miles does your car have? might be my old one lol
Currently 93k miles. If it's any telltale sign, an AP2 front lip was added to cover up a blemish on the front bumper, and an OEM style lip spoiler on the trunk. Had Eibach drop springs.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:49 PM

Update on the patches. They are generally holding up well, but I've found that the E3000 adhesive is not the least bit UV resistant and degrades in sun light. This is not a problem if you are patching a small hole from the inside only, but can be a problem for exterior patches, especially larger ones. Besides that, no leaks to report.

Quick Reply: Soft top patching