JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

NA Tuning Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NA Tuning Thread

well after a 1+ years the other NA thread became sick, and full of junk so this new thread is all biz. there will be no coner game, simile wars, petty bitching.

we dont get a NA thread like the FI guys so this thread will have to safice. i am of course open to suggestions on how to keep this thead straight, and full of only useful info. so silver9k, blownAP, wildcardTRD, F22SKIP, and all the other "elders" of the old thread feel free to PM me on how to make this thead nothing but great.

so to start it off:

hello, my names louie, hugh NA nut. heres whats worked for me. my current setup uses a KN drop in/custome made 70mm headerback/vafc2 tune. with this setup i've been able to put 227/147 to the wheel on a mustang dyno.

i have found that exhaust and ecu tuning have been the two biggest power adders. im looking forward to test a KN FIPK intake and finally smashing the 230 mark that has be elusive to so many of us.

discuss. hopefully this thread can be useful, twizid, sean church, and other vendors/tuners that lurk on here, feel free to post in here, BS and hating WILL NOT BE TOLERATED HERE. if you disagree with someone, be mature about and have an adult conversation about it.

i'll shut up now, best of luck to ya guys!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im curious how much did u gain from intake/exhuast with the vafc tune? do u have the before and after dyno? i currently have the j's intake and 70rr and im debating if i should tune it with the neo right now.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by a_red_s2k,Feb 4 2007, 10:47 PM
im curious how much did u gain from intake/exhuast with the vafc tune? do u have the before and after dyno? i currently have the j's intake and 70rr and im debating if i should tune it with the neo right now.
loving the mirrors and lip by the way...

but in answer to your question:

my car baselined at 197rwhp 132rwtq. with vafc2 jumped to 213rwhp 136rwtq. then with a vafc2 tune+ spoon N1 it climbed to 221rwhp 141rwtq. with the spoon switched out for a 70mm single it jumped to my current 227rwhp 147rwtq.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just introduce myself for now. I'm Eric, my old setup was a 60mm headerback, AEM Intake, and a AEM EMS. With that I made 235whp on Shawn Churches "christmas" dyno , to be more comparable to a dynojet that would be around 218whp, sadly I never had a baseline to go off of.

But I could tell you that I agree with Version; exhaust and tuning are the cheapest and easiest ways to add power.

Now, I'm about to be a 2.5L owner. I should have my results, tuned, by the end of March, hoping for 240-245whp. If I make more then that is great too.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver9k,Feb 4 2007, 10:55 PM
I'll just introduce myself for now. I'm Eric, my old setup was a 60mm headerback, AEM Intake, and a AEM EMS. With that I made 235whp on Shawn Churches "christmas" dyno , to be more comparable to a dynojet that would be around 218whp, sadly I never had a baseline to go off of.

But I could tell you that I agree with Version; exhaust and tuning are the cheapest and easiest ways to add power.

Now, I'm about to be a 2.5L owner. I should have my results, tuned, by the end of March, hoping for 240-245whp. If I make more then that is great too.
best of luck eric! keep us posted.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool thanks for the info louie

btw, im ken pretty new to na tuning but i wanna get into it. running j's intake, and 70rr exhaust. looks like the neo is prolli gonna be the next pick up i make.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by a_red_s2k,Feb 4 2007, 11:03 PM
cool thanks for the info louie

btw, im ken pretty new to na tuning but i wanna get into it. running j's intake, and 70rr exhaust. looks like the neo is prolli gonna be the next pick up i make.
with a good tune, i think you'll be plesantly suprised by the power you'll make. you should hit 220rwhp easy.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:02 AM

My turn First of all, I feel like I need to shed a for the old thread...it was fun, but it was way too out of hand, and impossible to sift through. Now onto business.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Nate, and I'm all motor baby. My baseline stock+K&N filter, it put down 186HP @8500, 122 Ft/ Lbs @6750

After that, I added the Hondata IMG and had 2nrwerks install and tune an AEM EMS UEGO, where it picked up 22rwhp PEAK, as well as gobs of midrange, and ended up with 208HP @8800, 134 Ft/ Lbs @6200.

The current setup added a Megan TP & Jenvey 50mm ITB's w/440cc inj. I didn't do a comaro after just the test pipe, since it went on about a week before the ITB's. With the ITB's, my entire powerband shifted far left on the graph, peaking at 210rwhp @ 8000, 148.5 ft/lbs @6200

Currently, I'm sitting at peak gains of +41 rwhp and +38.5 rwtq @6400 rpm over my stock baseline. My next addition will be an exhaust, of which I'm torn over what route to go, but may end up going with a 70 single, due to the proven gains over everything else. I'll be dyno'ing my car again this weekend at Stage6 in Jacksonville. I'll do 3 baseline pulls, followed by 3 pulls with a 63 single, and a 70 single. I might get to do more at that time, but we'll see how it goes. My dyno plots are all available in my sig below.

**Edited 2/12/07**
New dyno tune, picked up +15 hp peak above where it came in and baselined, and +20 midrange of where it baselined on a dyno dynamics at Stage6 in Jacksonville. New numbers are in sig. Dyno pic below.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't mean to ruin your thread or go too far off topic, but I am wondering if there is a recommended exhaust that does not sound appreciably louder than stock or drone. I hear people love the sound of the Fujitsubo but I don't think it provides much power.

I do not know if I will go FI or stay NA because I do not understand tuning that much. If I could find someone here locally that was a trusted tuner I think I might do VAFC or Emanage. But I do not know the basics of tuning and what to watch for, like what is a safe AF ratio and what is pushing it.

I would like reliability and what one tuner might consider "safe" to extract and extra 5 hp out, I might not, IF I actually understood tuning.

There was a famous quote on my old message board "Your car never feels faster than right before you melt a piston." I don't want to tune so far that I ever find that out. If anyone can recommend a good resoure for tuning 101, feel free.

If I could pick up 20 hp and some torque in the midrange, I would probably stay na and do gears. That is if it is safe for the engine, and does not sound like a chainsaw without a muffler.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Feb 5 2007, 10:16 AM
I don't mean to ruin your thread or go too far off topic, but I am wondering if there is a recommended exhaust that does not sound appreciably louder than stock or drone. I hear people love the sound of the Fujitsubo but I don't think it provides much power.

I do not know if I will go FI or stay NA because I do not understand tuning that much. If I could find someone here locally that was a trusted tuner I think I might do VAFC or Emanage. But I do not know the basics of tuning and what to watch for, like what is a safe AF ratio and what is pushing it.

I would like reliability and what one tuner might consider "safe" to extract and extra 5 hp out, I migh not if I actually understand tuning.

There was a famous quote on my old message board "Your car never feels faster than right before you melt a piston." I don't want to tune so far that I ever find that out. If anyone can recommend a good resoure for tuning 101, feel free.

If I could pick up 20 hp and some torque in the midrange, I would probably stay na and do gears. That is if it is safe for the engine, and does not sound like a chainsaw without a muffler.
email me at bn548@hotmail.com

I'll send you a pdf, AEM EFI basics v1.3 52 pages of some of the best reading for beginning to understand tuning. It comes with the AEM EMS.

As for the exhaust, the T1R sparrow series of exhausts are not loud at all, and provide decent enough gains. They've got a nice note to them, w/o the volume of an invidia or a single. The HKS sounds great, but no-one's dyno'd it. Tanabe is supposed to make a decently quiet one, as well as the fujitsubo that you mentioned. None of those are known to be "loud" by exhaust standards, but should all flow fairly well. When researching, If you're sticking to duals, and thinking of staying NA, then I'd look for something that has at least a 63mm primary piping to it...the stock is 60, so you want to go up in size to accomodate future mods.