S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.
View Poll Results: $99 10" Trunk bay sub box - interest gauge poll
No, I'll pay more for another option
12.00%
Yes, I'll go for it
88.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

$99 10" Trunk bay sub box - interest gauge poll

Old 12-23-2002, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been looking at different sub box designs and here's a prototype of an all MDF trunk bay 10" woofer box.

The advantage to this is ease of installation, cost and being able to retain your tools under the box. In the event of a flat you would be able to remove the sub box, drop in the flat and still store the box in the trunk with the flat. Also the sub can be offset for a top mounted amp

This is an image of the proto (without carpeting) on the tools. Est. a basic box carpeted ~ $100.

Int. airspace = .66 cu ft. weight 11.5lbs, take a 10" sub up to 5" in depth.

If this polls out ok, I can have these out in a couple weeks.

PLEASE DO NOT POLL IF YOU HAVE AN ENCLOSURE. I NEED TO GAUGE INTEREST OF PEOPLE WITHOUT LOOKING AT OPTIONS.

Before anyone asks...
The Fiberglass boxes produced before will stick around but the price will not be below $200 (which is still less than anyone can produce). That box was priced too low (with the quiet discounted price of $149), demand was too high and a new contractor had to be sourced.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:44 AM

This allows you to keep the jack and other tools under? That would be nice not to have to relocate all that. I also wouldn't mind if it stuck up a bit above the trunk line if additional airspace was needed.

I have 2 questions before I vote.
1) How audible is the bass from the trunk? (I'm worried that the trunk is too well insulated to actually let bass into the cabin without rattling the hell out of the trunk lid and just sounding like a bunch of rattling.)

2) What is it going to be made out of: fiber glass, particle board?? and what thickness??

Thanks,
-Chris
Old 12-23-2002, 06:56 AM

You can hear a 10" sub very well from the trunk.

As mentioned before it would be of MDF .75"
Old 12-23-2002, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be interested if there was just a bit more depth available. I need 5.4 inches of depth for an Elemental E10k. Getting the necessary 6.5 inches of depth for an Adire Brahma is probably out of the question.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:00 AM

Received 776 Likes on 466 Posts

Interested, but I can't find it on Eclipse-web of what kind of space is needed for the Eclipse 10" alum 8100.4
Old 12-23-2002, 09:02 AM

I am interested. my e-mail is espendez@mindspring.com

Neil
Old 12-23-2002, 09:22 AM

I would be interested as well. I have a stopgap solution there now, but this would be great. Keeping tools in their place is a must for me.

Could you provide some info as to which subs (brand/model) would fit in that space? Also will you be selling with a sub for additional $s?
Old 12-23-2002, 12:38 PM

Keith, I'll offer compatible subs as an add on option. Its seem to be there is interest in this project so I'll go ahead with it.

True not all 10" subs will fit. Some are deep and require a different enclosure or more airspace. The benefit to this one is it's pretty simple, it gives you a place to mount your amp for your car for a clean installation. If your tire blows and you need your tools its right under and you can keep the blowout and the box in the trunk. Plus it wouldn't be cumbersome like the big fiberglass models for a quick removal if space is needed.

I want to keep cost down to 100. Nominal options like top mounted disconnects for a couple dollars more.

So really you could have for $200 or less complete user friendly sub + enclosure.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:13 PM

lucid,

That would be a great price for the enclosure. I just spent that much just for the materials to make my own. I don't even know how many hours I spent thinking and working out all the problems I encountered along the way.
I have MDF top, fiberglass bottom, and an MDF amp standoff bolted a half-inch above the enclosure. The standoff has a nice big hole to vent air/sound around the amp.
Toolbox was removed. All tools are in a canvas bag and the bag put inside cup of the spare tire.
An amp powered 10 inch in the trunk rocks. The back sill needs some work though as it seams to match the base in movement, vibrating like hell. Suggestions?
Anyway, I think it's a great idea and a great price.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:58 AM

Lucid,
Any recommendations for a sub for this setup? Hypothetically speaking, what is the cleanest, most powerful sounding sub that I could fit in this enclosure?

Quick Reply: $99 10" Trunk bay sub box - interest gauge poll