S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Help - inline fuse for hard-wired radar detector?

Old 08-02-2001, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - inline fuse for hard-wired radar detector?

I've got a Uniden radar detector I'm hard-wiring to the fuse box using their "hardwire kit" (a cord with the radar detector connector & 2 bare wires on the other end).

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can find an inline fuse to connect to it before I connect it to the fuse box? I've got the connectors for hooking it up to the ground screw & fuse box, but would feel better having a fuse in there before connecting to the fuse box.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I "hard wired" my Passport 8500 into the fuse box using a "fuse holder expander. " This is basically a connector that plugs into the fuse box that gives you the capabilty to use one fuse slot for 2 different purposes (the original purpose and whatever you want to attach to the wire that comes out of the expander). Kinda like plugging in a plug expander into a household 110v outlet. I bought it from AutoZone for around $10.

I thought I would be able to use the bottom spare fuse slot in the fuse box. According to the S2000 owner's manual this is hot only with the ignition key on. But for some reason I couldn't "make" the fuse holder expander plug into that slot. What I ended up doing was removing the fuse for the power mirrors. I then inserted the removed fuse and a new fuse into the fuse holder expander. I then plugged the fuse holder expander into the mirror fuse slot.

What you've got now is a fused (at whatever amp fuse you plug in) wire hanging from your fuse box. I used the connector that Passport provided to crimp onto my new wire and found a ground connection to complete the circuit. The ground connection I used was the single brass (I think) screw centered beneath the steering wheel under the dash. I carefully tucked or tie-wrapped all the wiring out of the way. Needless to say figuring all this out caused several trips back and forth between my work bench and contorting myself under the dash on my back and a trip to the Chiropractor the next day.

It works great and I love not having that cord strung from the windshield back to the aux 12vdc outlet anymore.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:06 PM

This is a timely topic. I just got a passport 8500. I want hardwire the detector. I am not experianced in these things. If someone could post photos when discribing the connectors. plugs and the slot in the fuse box, it would be greatly appricated.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:55 AM

If you have one in your area, try Radio Shack for the inline fuse.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loki's thread on mounting his V1 is a classic. Everything should work the same for the Passport 8500.

Here's the link for the thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...13&highlight=v1

Look at pictures 29, 30, and especially 31 in his album.

Wade ran my V1 wire under the windshield frame molding when he installed my hardtop in March. I love the install. Here are some of my pictures:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?...&a=12559271&f=0

I've ordered a Passport 8500 which should be here today or Monday. I'm curious to compare it to the V1. I like the "locator" feature of the V1, but I like the "better sensitivity and user friendliness" of the Passport. I'll probably use one in my Prelude and one in my S2000. As I understand it, both the V1 and the Passport use an RJ11 connector and either can be powered off the same cord.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:04 AM

Very nice installation Barry. And great pics! These pictures are much clearer than the ones posted in the forum's FAQ for the V1. I've already installed my V1 much similiar to the way you did yours, with some minor differences. My cable exits the front (side closet to windshield) of the interior light fixture and over across the top of the V1. (Have mine mounted to the right of the rearview likewise) There is no other exposed cable as it runs under the visor behind the trim, down the pillar and down to the fusebox area. But after seeing these pics I'm going to remove the trim around the windshield and rework the cable to match the way you did yours. The pics detailing the fuse area are especially good for guys doing their own install.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by mselland
I "hard wired" my Passport 8500 into the fuse box using a "fuse holder expander. " This is basically a connector that plugs into the fuse box that gives you the capabilty to use one fuse slot for 2 different purposes (the original purpose and whatever you want to attach to the wire that comes out of the expander). Kinda like plugging in a plug expander into a household 110v outlet. I bought it from AutoZone for around $10.
Thanks for the info mselland...I may resort to that if I can't find a "true" inline fuse. My only concern with that solution is that the smallest fuse in the fusebox (like the fuse I believe you connected to) is 7.5 amp...much larger than the 1 amp fuse that the normal cord uses. But it would be some level of protection if I can't find an inline fuse!

I have yet to make a run to Radio Shack & see if I can find what I'm looking for there. If I can't, may be time for a run to AutoZone!
Old 08-03-2001, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cortez, the trim came off and went back on really easily.

Barry
Old 08-03-2001, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hemanuel
[B]

Thanks for the info mselland...I may resort to that if I can't find a "true" inline fuse.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:28 PM

OK - everything's wired up now...here's the story:

Per mselland's recommendation, I got "fuse holder expander" from AutoZone ($6.99 + tax). It's made by Littelfuse, and is called a "MINI Add-A-Circuit", part number 0FHM0200ZP.

It comes with the expander, and 3, 5, 7.5, and 10 amp fuses. The expander has a wire coming off of it with a connector to crimp a wire to (the hot wire of your radar detector). You plug the fuse you want to use (I used the 3) for the detector (or other accessory) into one slot of the expander & plug the expander into the fuse slot for an existing fuse (I pulled the power mirror fuse). If you don't get power, then you flip the expander & plug it back in & that should work (did for me). Once you have the correct orientation, plug the fuse you pulled into the other slot on the expander & put the expander back in. That's it for the hot wire!

I just put a "spade" connector on the ground wire, loosened up the ground screw, slid the spade connector in & retightened the screw.

JOB DONE!

Thanks for all the helpful input from everyone!.

Quick Reply: Help - inline fuse for hard-wired radar detector?