S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Easy, fast, cheap horn replacement

Old 01-12-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy: (almost) no new wiring, no new relay or fuse
Fast: about an hour, working carefully
Cheap: $30US

Parts needed:
Fiamm low horn (730-1054, or similar) ($14, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc.)
Fiamm high horn (730-1055, or similar) ($14, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc.)
16 gauge wire, 2 x 5 inch
wire splicing cap (or something more secure)

Here are the replacement horns:

Tools needed:
socket set
Phillips screwdriver
wire cutter/stripper/crimper

Step 1: Remove the front bumper.

It's really not that hard (although it helps to have a second person), and will make the rest of the installation much easier. Here's the page from the shop manual showing which fasteners to remove: front bumper removal.

Step 2: Remove the old horn and bracket.

You can squeeze the stock connector to disconnect it from the horn, but you'll have to cut the connector from the wire anyway. This is the pathetic stock horn:

and one of the new horns we're replacing it with:

Step 3: Mount and connect the new horns.

I used one 'L' bracket and both flat brackets included with the new horns to mount them to the stock location. I just played around with the angle between the two flat brackets to get everything to fit. Be sure to angle the openings of the horns down to limit water entry.

The horns come with grounding wires that can just be attached to their mounting points. To complete the electrical connections, you just have to twist two short lengths of wire to the stock horn wire, crimp the blade connectors that come with the horns on, and push them on. I suggest that you use something more secure than the twist on wire cap that I used.

This picture shows the bracket configuration and wiring pretty clearly:

Here's the straight on view:

Step 4: Test the new horns.

You can try them one at a time if you like by disconnecting the blade connector from one horn and then the other. They sound good, and noticeably louder than stock, by themselves, but I think they sound really cool together. I did try standing on the brake while sounding both horns, and my fuse didn't blow, but you should check this for yourself. I make no promises.

Step 5. Put the front bumper back on.

Just reverse Step 1. See the manual page for torque values. Here's what the new horns look like with the bumper on:

From a distance, they're hardly visible, but plenty audible!

Ted
Old 01-12-2001, 12:50 PM

Nice install and good pics!

Is the blue wire connector a twist-on wire connector? That doesn't look like it would be very durable in that location. Did you consider the 3M wire connectors?
Old 01-12-2001, 12:51 PM
JRM

Nice set-up ted! Could you post pictures of how the nose comes off. How long did it take you to get it off? I haven't attempted this yet! Seems like it makes it a heck of alot easier. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2001, 12:52 PM

Tom,

Thanks.

Yes, it's a cheap twist-on. I do plan to replace it with something more secure, thanks for pointing that out.

Tell me more about the 3M wire connector, I haven't seen those.
Old 01-12-2001, 01:12 PM

JRM,

Thanks!

I don't have any other pictures of removing the nose, sorry.

Did you click the link above for the front bumper removal page?

It took my brother and I about 15 minutes to get the bumper off, and that was without that page, and working very carefully. It does help to have two people, 'cause the bumper is large and unwieldy, although very light.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2001, 02:04 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I wish I could hear them. I didn't get to hear mine until after the install. Fortunately I liked them.
Old 01-12-2001, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Tedster:
Tom,

Thanks.

Yes, it's a cheap twist-on. I do plan to replace it with something more secure, thanks for pointing that out.

Tell me more about the 3M wire connector, I haven't seen those.
I found out that they're actually called 3M Scotchloks. Here's the best picture I could find:

You put the two wires in parallel channels and then press down on a metal piece that creates a connection between the two wires.

Even though the picture shows otherwise, they're usually blue, go to a Radio Shack or an auto parts store and ask for them.

[This message has been edited by TFota (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-12-2001, 02:41 PM

Nice install and report, the horns fit really well. How loud are they? I do think you are taking a risk not using a relay and a larger wire gauge for power supply.

The mounting scheme you came up with worked out real well relative to the bracket as compared to others I've seen. For comparison , Hella Supertones are a bit too large to fit without the use of an additional bracket.

[This message has been edited by Bigal (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-12-2001, 11:58 PM
Col

Tedster (and others),

Hornslike these don't appreciate the output trumpet pointing directly into the incoming wind (rain, insects & dirt). I would recommemnd them being pointed down as for air horns. Rotate the scrolls so they point down at about 45 degrees at least, it shouldn't have much impact on the volume. I had a pair of those Fiams in Oz and found that after about 3 months in a similiar position to yours they became noticeably duller when compared with new units.

All the best.

------------------
Old 01-13-2001, 03:47 AM

Tedster you're a ripper!

These are definitely the horns I will go for, I just hope I can buy them locally.

Quick Reply: Easy, fast, cheap horn replacement