S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda Diff Fluid Now Available

Old 04-09-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Honda Diff Fluid Now Available

Stopped by the local Honda dealer yesterday to pick up some of the magic Honda MTF and antifreeze for my annual changeout. I had planned on stopping at an AutoZone to get some Mobil 75W/90 synthetic diff fluid. But, lo and behold I noticed on a desktop poster at the parts counter that they listed Honda Differential fluid.

Now, I'm not really that concerned with keeping my Honda all Honda, but since I've had such good luck with the Honda MTF, I asked the parts guy, "do you sell diff fluid by the quart now?" He said, "no it's by the gallon and it's kind of expensive." "How much?" "19.50 per gallon, but for you $14.50." I said, "OK great, I'll take a gallon." Realizing that the Mobil diff fluid costs about $9.00 per quart, I figure I'm good for a few years of diff fluid changes for less than half the price of the Mobil synthetic.

The Honda part no. for a gallon of VTM-4 Differential Fluid is 08200-9003.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am pretty sure that is NOT the right diff fluid. I think it is for the CR-V. There have been reports about diff failures after mistakenly using this fluid.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My suspicions mimic those of gernby. Please double check to make sure this isn't simply the same fluid that is meant for a CRV diff. It may work as a short term measure but it may not hold up under the rigors of S2000 driving. Just like you can use motor oil in the tranny "temporarily".
Old 04-09-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took a look at the bottle and it only says VTM-4 and that it was developed especially for Acura and Honda vehicles. It does NOT say that it's GL-5 or GL-6, in fact there's no GL designator at all. The manual says to use a GL-5 or GL6 fluid. I'll take it back to the dealer and get my money back, and then head off to the AutoZone for some Mobil Synthetic, which is GL-5/GL-6.

Thanks for the heads up guys. It's not every day you get a Gernby and Xviper response. I feel honored, but chagrined that I put out some bum dope.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Gloffer
Thanks for the heads up guys. It's not every day you get a Gernby and Xviper response. I feel honored, but chagrined that I put out some bum dope.
It's good that you posted this here and glad you caught it in time. I'd hate to think what your diff might have looked like in a year's time with that fluid in there. All things unfold as they should.
I'll bet the Honda parts guy will swear up and down that you would be fine to use that fluid but on the other hand, is he the one who will authorize the diff exchange should something go wrong?
Old 04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gloffer
I took a look at the bottle and it only says VTM-4 and that it was developed especially for Acura and Honda vehicles. It does NOT say that it's GL-5 or GL-6, in fact there's no GL designator at all. The manual says to use a GL-5 or GL6 fluid. I'll take it back to the dealer and get my money back, and then head off to the AutoZone for some Mobil Synthetic, which is GL-5/GL-6.

Yepp..thats the wrong stuff. That VTM-4 fluid is the rear differential oil for the MDX and Pilot. It is basically an automatic transmission fluid with special additives for the VTM-4 clutches. Its is not thick enough for the S2k rear end and will definately cause some major damage over time. Always make sure that you are only putting in a synthetic GL-5 lubricant in the rear diff.
The following users liked this post:
SXY2000 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2003, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VTM-4 is for the MDX and Pilots I believe.

Yes, it's differential fluid that Honda sells. No, it's not for our differentials.
The following users liked this post:
john d (04-26-2018)
Old 04-09-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man dial-up is slow
Old 04-09-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wrong Fluid......eject....eject!

Utah
Old 04-10-2003, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, my dealer put that stuff in my differential and...

Now I've got a new one.

Less than 60 miles after the change, I started hearing the most horrible whining sound.

Do not put that stuff in your car.

Quick Reply: Honda Diff Fluid Now Available