Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all with early wear on OEM tires

Old 05-27-2003, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To all with early wear on OEM tires

Let's try this again. I wonder if Bridgestone or Honda are in control of this computer!

If your OEM s2k tires have worn out (gone bald) in 10k miles or less, I suggest you log on to NHTSA.gov and register a complaint concerning safety of these tires. After all, the S 02s weren't good in the rain when new, and if yours (like mine) are down to 1/32" after 8500 miles, it's hydroplane city!

This is a hard site to use. Make sure your narative states that all four tires are treadless, as later pages will ask you for info (like DOT number) on just one tire. Give the info on the worst one. You will be asked for info on fatalities, damage, and injury. If (heaven forbid) you know of some, please list them. If not, just say "n/a" You'll be asked for the name, phone, and address of your dealer, and the VIN of your car. It's tough to get through. But as many Ford Explorer owners found out, it is the best way to correct a problem that (IMO) is unsafe. So if you have this problem, do it!

Of course, some s2k owners do not have this problem, because (as I suspect) there were simply some bad batches of tires. So if you have had reasonable tire wear on your s2k, don't report anything.

But if (like me) you have baldies at 8.5k miles, please do so. This is our best chance for correction.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-27-2003, 06:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just like with the Ford Explorer the tires are not the problem. You are driving a sports car with a high level of grip and handling. I am sure you don't want a tire that is sloppy handling, a low speed rating and longer wear.
Change your toe in spec to 4mm and you will get longer wear. I have sold many tires for guys that have gotten clost to 20K on the rear of the car and normally close to double that for the front. For that car I think that is about as good as you are going to get.
Honda used the toe in to induce more understeer for the car. It jsut keeps people saferwith understeer instead of oversteer.

Jim
Old 05-27-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

How long to do you expect these tires to last given the nature of our car? If you drive it conservatively, you might be able to get longer wear but don't blame it on the tire or car. If you drive aggressively or take it to the track/autox, of course the life of the tires will suffer. You are supposed to replace them when you get to the tread bars.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not a problem with the tire or the car. If you want something that lasts longer go to an H rated tire and screw up your handling. I'll take handling and driving performance over tire life any day of the week.

Be glad you don't have a 911. Then you'll get 8500 miles out of your rear tires and have to spend $500 to replace them instead of $330!
Old 05-27-2003, 12:34 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I bet those extra-hard, extra skinny tires from the Insite would give you some serious tread life.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeithD
[B]Be glad you don't have a 911.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only in terms of tire wear FF2....

I'll take one of the new GT3s myself!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:08 PM

Have you read the tread wear rating on the side of the tire?

That is all.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:19 PM

To Jim at TireRack:

I've got a call in for you, and intend to take your advice on all things to correct this problem. Personally I would consider 20k miles on the rear and more than that on the front to be just fine for a performance car.

My suggestion that SOME s2k owners complain by email to the NHTSA referred only to those who were getting only 5k to 10k miles on their OEM's There seem to be two groups of owners here. Those who get in the mid 20,000 mile range and up, and those first mentioned above. I think you'll agree that the average of 3/64th tread depth I have left after a little over 8,000 EASY miles is absurd.

My theory (which I hope the NHTSA will investigate) is that there were some bad batches of S 02s with rubber compound too soft, and some of us had the bad luck to get them. Clearly, ALL S02s aren't defective, as evidenced by reports of up to 34,000 miles on them. When I compared this situation to the Ford Explorer, I did not mean that the problems were technically the same, but were only the same in the respect that we are dealing with one or more bad batches of tires ---- not an entire defective tire line.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-27-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 13k, but could not drive over 50mph in the rain in a straight line(hydroplaning everywhere). Not complaining; just stating. I have almost 18k on her now and the car is not even 9 months old. And that's with all the terrible weather we've been having here!!! I put another set of S02's on the rears... just love being able to out turn everyone else.

Quick Reply: To all with early wear on OEM tires