S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Damn the S2k in the rain

Old 10-24-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn the S2k in the rain

Well, maybe it my S-03 or maybe it just that it not that great in rain. I went through water puddle but it didn't rain it was from the sprinkler. I was going over water from the excess from the sprinkler doing about 50. I can feel all four wheel break loose but nothing major. But I still feel irritated. Just saying
Old 10-24-2003, 02:19 PM

There's something wrong with your car.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or your treads are almost gone...
Old 10-24-2003, 03:47 PM

SO3's are good in the rain unless you hit a really DEEP puddle.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:52 PM

My S-02's have 5-10% tread left on the outside 2/3's and NO tread on the inside third (all four) and even in the rain they're fine...

how are you people driving? I mean sure, my back end slides out around corners much easier now... but it just makes things fun!
Old 10-24-2003, 04:25 PM

I really dont understand how many people have problems with this car in the rain. If you take it easy and drive normal you will be fine. I have driven in some serious rain and the worst problem i had was hydroplaning which i have experienced in every car. Take it easy and dont be stupid and you will be fine.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:42 PM

Plenty of people have lost their S2K in the rain driving sedately but in many cases, once you dig deep enough, you'll discover the tread was seriously low on their S0-2's. I've never seen a tire that is such a Jekyll and Hyde between dry and wet conditions.
My MR2-S with Yokohama A520's was more stable in the rain than my S2000 with S0-2's and that is a mid-engine (notorious for being twitchy in the rain) car.
With my Toyo Proxes T1-S' however, in the rain, the car handles phenominally so it was worth losing a bit of that gumball traction at the limits for the reassurance I have in these South Florida downpours.
Kind of curious though, I thought the SO-3's were an improvement in wet weather handling over the OEM's?
I wonder how the newbie '04 tires will handle in the wet?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:07 PM

I'd had my 01 since I bought it, plenty of experience with RWD and even practiced getting the rear to slip out Turning turns and it doesn't mean a thing...if your in the right/wrong situation...YOUR TIRES CAN KILL YOU...

Let me explain...I'm going 70 on semi-banked cement divided highway...it had just misted and the pavement was moist..with occasional "new rain" puddles (no more than a 1/8 inch deep). I'm going 70-ish behind a SUV in the right lane. I pull out left to pass and as I get to the midpoint of the left lane, I feel that floating feeling and the next thing I experience is hitting the cement divider, air bag in my face (both deployed), spinning, sliding in reverse and hitting the divider again. I walked away, not a scratch...God do I LOVE this car!

The point is that 1) I knew I had nearly nude rears, 2) did something that is second nature and "safe" (pull out to pass) and 3) had zero Warning/time to react (didn't even touch the breaks).

The wreck you have on bad rears is NOT going to be a situation where you know there could be trouble (like a pouring rain, tight turn...) because you're likely to be alert to the potential disaster in that situation....Instead, its going to be something where danger doesn't even enter your mind...until you hit the wall.

You CAN"T be alert all the time...just don't chance it...Someone else on the Board once said, "check your oil to save your engine...check your tires to save your life." Its true.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

70mph on wet (even damp) roads with bald rear tires is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:31 PM

if you think driving thru puddles is scary, try driving thru puddles with these babies

Quick Reply: Damn the S2k in the rain