Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Dating Life for Asian guys in America...

Old 01-16-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dating Life for Asian guys in America...

Is it rough? I am writing a Sociology paper about the social lives of typcial Asian guys in America. I would like some opinions.

I have been noticing many Asian guys these days are single and without girlfriends. From my observations and the fact that most of my friends are Asians, many of them cannot seem to find a girl, some couldn't even find a date. They go out to clubs/bars and it's always the same story. It's not because they're are bad looking and they're definitely not bad people. I don't believe that they are picky either. I have known quite a few guys here who could not find a girl in America, got frustrated, flew back to China and married a girl, and then brought her back here.

Another observation is that many Asian girls date white guys, and rarely the other way around. As a matter of fact, my two cousins married white guys. All of my mixed friends (Asian/White) have mothers who are Asian and Dad's white. How come there is not more Asian guy/white girl combos? Do Asian guys lack self esteem in this country? What do Asian guys think of themselves? I am Chinese and married to a Chinese girl. I know that this could be a sensitive topic. I also know there will be many generalizations and stereotypes, but I would like to get some views and opinions for my paper.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who is vietnamese and only dates white girls. He says he just isn't attracted to asian girls. He doesn't get a lot of dates though. I think it depends on the location as well. Someone's situation in Iowa may be different in San Fran.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know locality plays a big part. I'm sure the West coast has more interracial dating than the deep south.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:24 PM

Oh man.... I can easily have a long in-depth conversation/discussion about this one... We had some nice pow-wows in my Asian American studies class about this...

One of the predominant factors of what you are researching is media. Asian men are not seen (nor defined) as the sexy, glamorous heroes that are so coveted by a female (in American TV/cinema, mind you). Blacks have Wesley Snipes, Whites have Brad Pitt, Hispanics have Antonio Banderas, but Asians do not have such a counterpart... Rick Yun and Russell Wong are only bit players that do not play leads with Caucasian (or otherwise) females as love interests.

This bleeds into how Americans view and portray their individual lifestyles (subconscious or not). Asian females have been demonstrably known to play love interest leads with Whites, Blacks, etc. thus are much easier to land themselves mates outside of their own race. The mere fact that Asian male leads tend to portray...

- Martial artist
- Gangster
- Dork/Nerd
- Restaurant Worker
- Laundromat owner, etc.

... actually does not aid in promoting the Asian male sexual status within American society. It's not that females are averse to Asian males in general, but they [Asian males] are never really considered to be "sexy" or entities that are plausible mates in the hypothetical sense (individual encounters and personality traits through interaction aside). And in a way, American society isn't quite ready to see an Asian male lead and non-Asian female lead in a movie as love interests. Do you remember the hype with the movie Jungle Fever (Black and White relations)? Have you seen The Replacement Killers? Chow Yun Fat could've plausibly been Mira Sorvino's love interest, but wasn't. The movie, The Tuxedo, gets a very lightly discernible attraction with JLH and Jackie Chan... but on-screen sparks via kissing, etc.? Forget it. The American audience isn't quite ready for it (nor will approval of such go well with movie-goers).

Black females and Middle Easterners tend to share in the same experience as Asian males (though the Black female sexual status is definitely on the rise).
Old 01-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting F1 tech that you have a white woman in your avatar.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:30 PM

They don't like small wee wee

I don't know I think most Asian are shy guys, all skinny 130 lbs I was like that once and after I hit the gym everyday, my self esteem is off the fcukin scale
Chinese people need to get out of the restaurant business and get a real job maybe those white girls will start digging chinese men.
I have a few chinese female friends only date white guys too.

Dennis
Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yunisden R
Old 01-16-2004, 12:39 PM

Old 01-16-2004, 12:43 PM

Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM

Quick Reply: Dating Life for Asian guys in America...