UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Disabling passenger airbag

Old 05-26-2004, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling passenger airbag

Is it possible?

I'm not planning on having kids yet but if I decide to keep the S for a good few years it is a possibility that I'll need to transport a sprog in it.

Fiona
Old 05-26-2004, 01:11 AM

There have been a number of threads about this in the past. The general concensus was that it's certainly not easy although theoretically possible - someone, maybe Paul(UK), was investigating one particular lead but I don't recall seeing further posts reporting on whether it had lead anywhere.

You could try doing an advanced search, limiting it to the UK forum, and have a look for the threads discussing it in the past
Old 05-26-2004, 01:30 AM

Cheers Mark, I have to say I find it strange that there isn't a disable option as most 2 seater cars I've been in that had a passenger airbag have the option to disable with a small key.

Will look further.

Fiona
Old 05-26-2004, 01:30 AM

I did some investigations into disabling the airbag, but decided against it after reading the US forums. With the seat fully back and a child in a forward facing car seat secured tightly the air bag if deployed doesn't come out far enough to hit a child.

I take my 2 year old son out in the S and he absolutely loves it, he always wants the roof down (regardless of the Wheather) and grins like a cheshire cat when I give it a bit of VTEC.

I also have to say I drive very differently with him in the car, I guess its a better/alternate form of "left seat braking"™ someone else.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 AM

Not really looked into this yet but I though seats for newborns were usually rear-facing?

Fiona
Old 05-26-2004, 01:45 AM

Yep newborns are a no go for the S, but once you get into the forward facing seats your ok.

I contacted Honda UK to see what could be done about the passenger airbag, and the answer was that they wouldn't disable it, even if it could be done (which from reading the US forum it can be done).

I didn't get the S2000 until my son was 20 months old and was in a forward facing seat by then.

I'm not sure what else I can say, if the time comes, a) Sell the S b) by a 2nd car (if you or your partner don't have one) c) Swap cars with your partner?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:46 AM

Arse. It will have to be the Elise for the baby then. Hope it doesn't mind the noise.....

Fiona
Old 05-26-2004, 02:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fiona
Arse.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:20 AM

On the subject of disabling passenger airbags, I'm sure I heard or read something fairly recently that said if you do disable the airbag, and then have an accident with a person in the passenger seat that wasn't in a child seat, and that person suffered injuries that would not have occurred had the airbag been enabled, that you were liable for those injuries, or the insurance company wouldn't have to pay out in compensation of some form or another to that person. Is there any truth in this, or have I completely made this up or dreamt it?!

Ed.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:31 AM

Hi all

my airbags are currently disabled but not through choice, something called a reel has gone in the steering apparently if the SRS light is on neither airbag will work as the system disables itself in the event of an accident.

The plug for the passenger airbag is under the paasenger dash yellow/ orange thing in a clip, but if you do disconnect it the whole system stops not just the passenger one.

Quick Reply: Disabling passenger airbag