S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing wing

Old 02-12-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racing wing

After riding in a few winged S2000s at the track, I'm most likely going to add one to my car. I'm thinking about the APR GTC-200. Wing dimensions:
- Deck length (A): 59.5"
- Deck height (B): 10"
- Pedestal distance
Old 02-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

APR can make you a GTC 300 in 62" if you ask for it
Old 02-12-2005, 10:36 AM

My HPM is 60" and it spans pretty much rear fender lip to fender lip (see my avatar). Krazik and DavePK has the 67" which I believe spans mirror tip to mirror tip. I chose the 60 because I felt the 67 would be 1) too wide for the street as I drive my car to the track (it's already a hazard in the garage with the 60) and 2) more wing that I would need for RA1's (they are on slicks), though I really don't know if this is rational .
Old 02-12-2005, 10:48 AM
jzr

10" is a pretty good height; higher might be better, but it'll draw more looks. The AABAUW was 13", which I felt looked just right.

The car is 72" from mirror tip to mirror tip, but anything bigger than about 60" is getting crazy. The AABAUW was 71"

A bigger wing will provide more downforce. Only you can decide if this is something you "should" do, and that decision should be based on the rest of your setup, factoring in aero, suspension, wheels/tires, etc.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:42 AM

What JZR said about the rest of the car is important not just for performance, but can be for safety at a high speed turn like the Fontana oval where the enormous downforce at 130 mph could cause your suspension to bottom out (not nice mid-corner at 130 ) unless it's much stiffer than stock.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

hmm?

Does the APR wing have suitable mounting points and brackets? Under $ 500 seems like a bargain.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:25 PM

The APR seems to have excellent mounting points and brackets. It looks good in the web pics, but in person it looked even better. I saw the GTC-200 setup on Drewchie's car at Laguna. I assumed it was a multi-thousand $ setup. As I said, I don't care much for the wing look on the S2000, but as wings go Drewchie's setup was the nicest looking I've seen. The mounting points and brackets looked very solid in person.

Rich, what is the deck height on your HPM? Looks tall. I'm just running RA1s, may run hoosiers with the next set, but will not be running slicks ... so I think I'll still with the 60" deck length. The car setup is well beyond my ability to drive, but includes custom valved konis set for the track and a lot of RWHP. I'd like to ride in a few more S2000's with JRZs to see if they're worth the upgrade. So far at least, I've never come close to bottoming out the current setup.

Jason, I was going to talk to you about the AABAUW ... but when the car broke after one lap at Laguna ... my mind was elsewhere. I think I'll go with at least the 13" deck height; just need to find out from Duc if that is an option direct from APR.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 PM

The height of my HPM is 12". If you are going to be at Buttonwollow Feb 26-27 with Speed Venture you can ride in my car (has JRZ's too) or you can borrow my trunklid with wing to try it.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:46 PM

Thanks ... I wish I could go. My car won't be finished until 5-Mar. I brought the car out to No. Calif for the Winter with a plan to get to 6 or 7 events. I only made it to two ... and at one of those I only got one lap. Transmission, diff and other problems. Hopefully all of that is settled now (new 04 tranny and diff from hardtop guy).

Once the car is finished I'll be driving it up for an event I've already paid for at Spring Mountain (19-20 Mar) and then on back to Utah for the summer.

So in your avatar shot the wing height is on 12"!? Looks more like 24"!

What suspension did you have before the JRZs? I wish I would have known about them before I purchased the Konis. The suspension feels great, but dealing with Koni is a PITA.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:41 PM

I have a big ass wing on a junkyard trunk that I swap onto my car for track days. it's actually easy to swap and makes a great clothing rack in my bedroom when I'm not using it (but, my gf hates it)

anyway, that wing looks decent but you should really reinforce the trunk if you want to put a wing on the middle of if like that. You'd be surprised how much flex the trunk has... when I'm on the freeway at like 75, it makes noticeable indentations on the trunk; one of my winter projects is to cut out the reinforcements on the trunk and weld in a steel frame that better supports the wing. hopefully I can do it such that it won't be any heavier but that remains to be seen.

you want the wing as far back as you can get it. The top comes off very suddenly which is poor for airflow, since it tends to tumble off the top... the farther we can get the wing from that the more effective it'll be. The trunk frame makes it hard to mount farther back, so that's why I'd recommend a junkyard trunk. (I bondo'd over the keyhole on my junkyard trunk and just use the trunk latch...)

Quick Reply: Racing wing