S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

New wax/shine.

Old 09-09-2001, 09:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New wax/shine.

I found this on the Viper forum:
http://www.formula113.com/Default.htm
This one time Zaino guy is going nuts over this stuff.
Anybody know anything about it?
I'm thinking about getting their sampler kit.
Amartin? (I know you're interested in this kind of stuff.)
Old 09-09-2001, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about it, but they do call it a WAX, which Zaino is not.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:47 PM

If it looks too good to be true...well, you know.

Real research-- I'de recommend the following: FIRST, if it a "WAX" (eg. Carnuba) then its bullshit. I can go into why, etc.. but if thats carnuba, its complete garbage compared to other wax (Zymol, Blitz, Etc..).

Now-- if its synthetic, and I think it might be, I'de FIRST talk with Sal Zaino at (owner/maker) from www.zainobros.com he's VERY knowledgable about synthetics... get some fact from him (and please post them).

Also, if its cheap, why not order it and try it out? No harm in doing so I'de think.

I have a study coming up on carnuba vs. synthetics (about 1 month from now) which I'll disclose later... I'll also see what I can find out about this product.

Until then, use your best judgement... see what others are using and have tried. Call around (SAL WILL tell you the honest truth, even if 311 is a better product, etc...).

I personally have no experience with this product and will look further into it... more to come in a few days.

-- Aaron
Old 09-10-2001, 08:24 AM

Formula 113 is a good product. The guy came on the corvetteforum awhile ago and starts bashing Zaino. It does contain abrasives though. If you car looks good, I would not use this. If your car needs work (scratches, bad paint, etc) it would be a great product.

I personally have never tried it. I tried to get a sample kit to compare with Zaino (that I currently use) and he never contacted me again. He and Sal got into it because this guy was making ludicrous claims about Zaino. Sal doesn't like the guy but stayed very professional. It was amazing. He basically asked the guy to never talk about Zaino. Sal never said one bad thing about the guy or his product.

I think that makes Zaino shine all that more, but I would still like to try formula113. Maybe if the owner reads this and sends me a trial I can compare.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:25 AM

This is the response I got from Sal (he's prompt, if anything):

"I am very familar with Formula 113...
I think it is an good one step product for neglected paint finishes.
It is a Carnauba based Wax product... it contains abrasives and silicone oil... Formula 113... is a cleaner wax.which is clearly stated on his web site.
Quote "Removes heavy to light oxidation, fast and easy" yet
later says "Contains no harsh abrasives." Harsh or not, it's still
abrasive. Zaino is not.
Heavy oil based products give incredible initial gloss, but have no durability.
Below is my response that I posted on the Viper forum...

Don't be fooled... Polish/Wax is very subjective.. There is more to a polish/wax then just an inital shine..
Carnauba Wax and Gloss
The truth of the matter is Carnauba is a, dark yellow, brittle wax. It has no durability. It also has no high shine. In reality it's actually a dull wax. It is not optically perfect and leaves a film (haze) on the paint finish. If you took two identical colored cars and placed them side by side. The one with Zaino would be the true color. The other car would have a slightly different tint to it.
What you are seeing with Carnauba is a combination of carnauba wax, polyethylene wax, paraffin wax and the key gloss ingredient SILICONE OIL. Silicone oil is inexpensive, greasy, smeary, not durable, but shines like crazy. Just try Pledge furniture polish on your car. Voila same shine. Hmm. Pledge is loaded with silicone oil, so is Armor All tire dressing. Did you ever notice how greasy, smeary and dusty, furniture looks with Pledge on it. How soon does your car get dusty after you polish/wax with your favorite product????? When does the gloss start to drop??? I already know..

Now here's the best part. Silicone oil and other oils are an essential ingredient of Carnauba based products. It's the
only way to achieve a shine. That's why it's used in all Carnauba based polish/wax. However, it has no durability, does not last and it attracts dust and dirt like a magnet and once dust settles on it, it sticks to it. Dust on paint causes tiny Swirls and Scratches. Also Carnauba is very brittle. It will not stay on the paint surface for any length of time. The sunnier and hotter it gets, the faster it deteriorates. Remember wax melts and oils tend to migrate to the surface and evaporate... Sad but true.

Fact: On a sunny 80 degree day, the surface temperature of black paint will reach 149 degrees and go up to 198 degrees if the ambient temp reaches 90. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens to the wax.

When designing and formulating a polish. These are just a few of the factors that you want to avoid.

Show Car polish has a wet looking gloss, incredible durability, water beads like crazy, is not effected by the sun and does not attract dust or dirt. There are no oils, abrasives or wax in Zaino. Nothing sticks to Zaino Show Car polish.

I am probably the most anal person when it comes to optically enhanced paint finishes and protection and polish/wax. I've tested over 300 polish/wax to date. Nothing even comes close to the Zaino system.
Interesting isn't it.
IMHO Carnauba just doesn't cut it....
Hope this helps...
Need more info... please call me...
-
Thank You,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
http://www.zainobros.com"

I'll post the reply from formula 113, IF I get one.

One question that Sal did not answer was about how well Zaino protects against the environmental contaminants like sun, dirt, rain, road salt, birds, etc. Anybody have any comments about this issue? I'd like a great shine too but I need the protection just a badly.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shizon'00
[B]Formula 113 is a good product.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
I'm with you, I hate it when one company bashes another.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:44 PM

I would NOT use this product on my car for the following reasons (directly from their website):

Removes heavy to light oxidation, fast and easy.
Contains no harsh abrasives.

First, it removes heavy oxidation..why? Because its REMOVING something... why? Soft, non-abrasive "waxes" do NOT remove anything.

Second, and MOST important:
Contains no harsh abrasives.

Let me rephrase this for you... remove the word "harsh".. this means it DOES CONTAIN abrasives. What does this do? Removes paint, period.

Given they admit its abrasive, this product will never see my s2k.

-- Aaron
Old 09-16-2001, 05:03 PM
GVC

I have 4 or 5 bottles of Formula 113 wax. I'll make someone a great deal on them. OK stuff I just prefer Zaino.
Formula 113 does make a product BeadX that I use. Great stuff.

Make me an offer

GVC
Old 09-16-2001, 07:49 PM

I sent an email to both Zaino and 113. I have yet to receive a response from 113. This tells me something so I've gone ahead and ordered the Zaino. They may have a legitimate reason for not replying but I'm not going to wait forever considering that Sal replied to me within hours of me sending the email. The same happened when I emailed Coastal Metals about the front grill cover. I simply refuse to go chasing after a company to sell me something. They should be chasing after me to buy.