S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cel code

Old 05-01-2005, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel code

I just recently did a cel code scan and found that my car was giving me these cel codes.

P0302
Cylinder #2 misfire detected

&

P1399
Manufacture Control ignition system or misfire

Can anyone describe these? im also off to honda to check to see if i got the spark plug recall. since my car isnt under warranty and it does happen to be the spark plugs will they replace it?

I still havent done a leak down test, im waiting to see what recalls have been done. im pretty sure once i do that test i will get to see how the spark plug is and whether or not its giving the right compression.

Anyone else think of anything esle it could be? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

302 is a misfire in cylinder #2. For this, the manual tells you to swap the coil packs around, reset the ECU and test drive.
1399 is a random misfire in all cylinders. This is a tougher one to deal with. Could be a fuel system malfunction. Could be a bad ECU. This could also cause destruction of the catalytic converter.

It could be any of those things I mentioned in my PM to you. Worst case, it'll be a bum ECU.
A leak down won't likely tell you much here.
More important than inspecting what each plug looks like is to determine if any of them have loosened.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 PM

for the coil pack you are talking about those one that are equivelent to the spark plug wires (but in an s2000 they are coil packs? )

also, when i reset the ecu, i am pulling the fuse of the ecu from that fuse box that is located on the right side in the engine bay?

as for a bad ecu or a bad catalytic converter, my car only has 23k miles on it. but this is possible with that low of miles?

i will check if the spark plug is secure tightly.

thanks viper.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:29 AM

Coil packs = those things that sit on top of the spark plugs on an S2000.

Resetting to ECU:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183490
Don't mess with the fuses under the hood.

A bad ECU is a factory fault and has nothing to do with the age or mileage. It just happens. eg. Rick Hesel had ramdom misfires for many, many months. They did everything to fix it. It wasn't till they replaced the ECU that the problem went away. Cats can be destroyed due to misfiring of the engine and also has nothing to do with age and mileage.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 PM

i went to the extent and just tried to see if there was any oil on the spark plug wires. 4 & 3 were find. no matter how hard i tuged and pull'd. #2 didnt want to come out. could this cel code be a possibility?
P0302

and #1 had oil all over the plug.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rusler Firbrand,May 2 2005, 09:38 PM
i went to the extent and just tried to see if there was any oil on the spark plug wires. 4 & 3 were find. no matter how hard i tuged and pull'd. #2 didnt want to come out. could this cel code be a possibility?
P0302

and #1 had oil all over the plug.
This could be a bad sign (or it could be a coincidence) but #2 coil pack being stuck on there could indicate that the plug back off and the area above the plug got really hot and melted the coil pack to the plug. Could you even rotate the coil pack slightly? 1/8" or 1/4"?
When you say oil "all over" the plug, do you mean on the tip (the part that is inside the cylinder)? If this is so, then this is not a very good thing. If it's on the outside (the part that's inside the plug well that the coil pack tube slides down into), then this is not unusual.
Code 302 is for #2 cylinder. If the plug backed out and the coil pack tube is melted onto the top of the plug, the may have been the cause of the misfire.

I see that you have a MY2000. Did you ever have the spark plug recall done? You should see stickers added to your owner's manual showing the new plug part number. Also, you will see a dot stamped above one of the digits in the VIN on the firewall by the battery. If you never had it done, this could be the result of that oversight.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 2 2005, 09:29 PM
This could be a bad sign (or it could be a coincidence) but #2 coil pack being stuck on there could indicate that the plug back off and the area above the plug got really hot and melted the coil pack to the plug. Could you even rotate the coil pack slightly? 1/8" or 1/4"?
When you say oil "all over" the plug, do you mean on the tip (the part that is inside the cylinder)? If this is so, then this is not a very good thing. If it's on the outside (the part that's inside the plug well that the coil pack tube slides down into), then this is not unusual.
Code 302 is for #2 cylinder. If the plug backed out and the coil pack tube is melted onto the top of the plug, the may have been the cause of the misfire.

I see that you have a MY2000. Did you ever have the spark plug recall done? You should see stickers added to your owner's manual showing the new plug part number. Also, you will see a dot stamped above one of the digits in the VIN on the firewall by the battery. If you never had it done, this could be the result of that oversight.
I tried lifting the coil pack and it didn't move one bit. i even asked my brother to help me also and it didn't move one bit. the other coil packs 1,3,4 came of easily.

as for oil "all over" the plug, plug #1 looked "glazed" w/ oil. not drenched, but maybe dipped and dried up i'm assuming, since i haven't driven it for two days now. i tried checking the inside where the coil plug goes in and i could barely tell.

I have never gotten the spark plug recall. I am the second owner of this car, and the previous owner did not tell me, nor was i aware that there was a recall on the spark plug.

I've already went to the extent and check up on the dot stamp above my vin near the firewall, i didn't see any. i'm assuming it was suppose to be above the 1 or i. and no sticker in my manual. Today, i also went to check to see if the previous owner got it done. Unfortunately, he did not get the spark plug recall done.

If this is the problem to it all, could i explain to the dealer that the problem I am having leads to what I've been reading on tsb 02-042? also, do you have a more brief description on that tsb? i know there floating around here somewhere, but I've checked and found no luck. I remember reading about other tsb description, IE: buzz deacceleration.

thanks xviper on your input. i almost feel helpless asking for answers. oh btw, would honda be able to help me if i mention that i think its the spark plug recall led to my car misfiring? Or would they have to do the inspection and charge me an arm and a leg for the diagnostic?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 PM

My question is can an after market intake installed correctly cause serious malfunction to a motor?

as for the conditions weather conditions for the car being mainly garage kept, and only driven in a weather free from rain, and wind.

Also, no type of driving abuse on the motor.

Is this possible?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 298 Likes on 277 Posts

If the air filter doesn't do it's job, you can damage the piston rings/bores from the dirt entering the motor.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:32 PM

But is this common? Ive seen many people run all types of intake, cai, and I cant seem to find anyone that has had a problem with the intake that led to a spark plug seize. my car is a 2000 and has only 23k miles.

Quick Reply: Cel code