S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Had a wreck!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a wreck!

I just got back from northern CA. I went there for 10 days to care for my 3 granddaughters, while their parents were out of town. The eldest - age 14+- was in charge while I went out for a supposed 3 hour ride on a Honda VFR 800. I seriously flogged some very empty and very exciting canyon roads north and west of Fairfield, CA. I was on my way back to Fairfield cooling down on CA 29 just outside of Calistoga (Napa Valley) when I T-boned a minivan, which pulled out in front of me. I did a full braking front wheel stoppie that resulted in a 360 motorcycle flip. I bailed off at the top of the circle with the bike slamming off the front of the van and me highsiding into the A-pillar and drivers side window. Like in a cartoon I hit body front leading and then seemingly sliding down to the road. The air totally out of me, I just laid there on the road for a minute or two trying to breathe. I started moving body parts like a chechlist and when convinced got up on my knees to remove my helmet and open riding jacket to help my breathing. I was just stunned and thanking my lucky stars. In minutes there were 3 CHPs, 2 fire trucks, one ambulance, and a paramedic vehicle. Traffic stopped in 3 directions and dozens of people gazing. I wonder what they thought of my grey hair and 60 year old features? I walked away this time, perhaps with the help of 30 years of riding experience and wearing proper protective gear, or just plain luck. I got one sore knee, two cut and bruised forearms, a sore shoulder and collar bone, bruised sternum and ribs, plus a lingering stiff neck. I refused to go to the hospital, primarily because of the grandchildren waiting at home. The bike and protective gear are trashed. What's worse is that the car had no registration or evidence of insurance. The driver and passenger - both young Hispanics - could provide no ID and were handcuffed and removed immediately. The car was impounded. It's 10 days later and I still have no information other than results from the CHP running the van's plates. I had to come back to Ohio and now have to deal with this mess from long distance. I guess there is a message here for us vints. Make sure all your affairs are in order and that at our age medical issues are of greather consequence and rebounding is considerably slower. As a survivor of two major T-bones in 10 years, I assure you that there is never time for last thoughts or goodbyes. Again this time, I was fortunate and am grateful.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I'm glad you are ok.

I hate reading stories like this. Almost the exact same thing happened to me 33 years ago. I spent 14 days in the hospital and almost didn't make it.

You are absolutely right about having your affairs in order. You never know.

I'm glad you are ok.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:08 AM

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,614 Posts

So glad to hear you dodged a major bullet. But it must be a pain to try to handle this from long distance. Does CA have an uninsured motorist law? In VA, I think they do. Not sure exactly how it works. I witnessed a motorcycle accident in downtown DC years ago, which was pretty frightening. I was glad when my ex got rid of his. Get better soon and good luck!!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 443 Likes on 319 Posts

I am sorry to read what happened to you but very relieved that you were not injured severely considering the magnitude of the accident. Your post illustrates no matter how safely you ride your motorcycle, there are those careless and thoughtless drivers who can quickly turn your world upside down. I hope you recover fully and cherish time you spend with your grandkids.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 AM

Now THAT was a miracle ...

how many lottery tickets did you buy that day ?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:37 AM

I guess there is a message here for us vints. Make sure all your affairs are in order and that at our age medical issues are of greather consequence and rebounding is considerably slower.
We have all known or at least read of so many people killed in motorcycle accidents that would have only been fender benders in cars. The message I get is "stay off of motorcycles."
Old 10-19-2005, 04:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so glad to hear how this turned out for you John. I was almost too afraid to open the thread. I know the legal and insurance matters will be a pain to deal with from this point on, but not as much as they would be posthumously.

Thank the powers that be that you're ok...and do buy some lottery tickets just for the hell of it!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:24 AM

Received 5,254 Likes on 3,143 Posts

It wasn't your time, thank goodness. You are indeed fortunate to walk away with no serious injuries. The air smells sweater today, doesn't it?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Good skills. Good reactions. Experiences pays.

Glad you're here to write this.

Heal quickly. Still gonna' ride I assume, it seems like it's "in your blood" so to speak.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 764 Likes on 462 Posts

Glad you're doing as well as you're doing -- that could have been a catastrophic accident!!!! We gave up motorcycles several years ago after +1 broke his back in an accident. Your reaction times/etc. must have been fantastic. Hope all this mess works out without a lot of problems for you.

Quick Reply: Had a wreck!