UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TomTom 510

Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TomTom 510

Has anyone got one of the new TomTom's in their S2000? (510, 710 or 910).

I'm toying with a 510, but would rather vent mount it, as my last S got broken into, I assume because of the PDA mount being on the screen. Don't want to have to mess around sticking/ unsticking from the screen and having to hide the mount then rub the screen mark off etc.

Looking at the side view of the 510, I'm not sure it would take well to being vent mounted, due to it's wedge shape (thin at the bottom and thick at the top) and I wouldn't want it sticking too far out from the dash.

A Google search has not come back with a vent mount kit for the new models. If it's not a suitable option, I might by the old TomTom One, upgrade the firmware to version 6 and do this to it (sadly, all but one photo has gone on this link).

I will be buying either the 510 or a ONE, as I already have TomTom Navigator and am a big fan, so no use trying to tempt me with anything else!

Any thoughts? I'm flying out from Manchester later on and I see Dixons Tax Free shop has the 510 for
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neil, i've got the TT One on a vent mount. I keep it in the car out of sight. Next time remind me & i'll show you.

Ed
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Cheers boss!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got my TT One on a vent mount - left hand side. Its a bit tight to my hand when driving energetically - but mostly I find it OK. The old style TTs were far to deep to mount on the central vent

Peter

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM

Here's my setup, a TT One on a custom mount, I found the official vent mount makes the unit stick out far too much and forget about getting any of the GO series (new or old) anywhere in an S2000 neatly, trust me I have tried!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:48 AM

Thanks all - a TomTom ONE it is then!

Quite literally, gotta fly!

Neil
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 AM

Hi guys, I'm about to go on holiday driving the S through Europe, possibly to Italy. I have used Tomtom on my PDA in my other car (406 Coupe) for about 4 years now it's definately the sat nav to have.

Back to the point, I want to fit Sat-Nav to the S as I've grown totally dependant on it (slightly embarrasing I know). I don't want to put the PDA in because its not exactly neat and the screen is really bright at night and pathetic in the day, particularly if I had the roof down.

I've pretty much decided that the Tomtom one is the way to go now.

Phenom I am loving your mount, is it fairly rigid, doesn't it shake about etc. being on a vent?

How easy is it to remove for security and in case you want to use the vent!

What have you done with the wiring? Is this going through the vent as well?

Its by far the neatest solution that I've seen so far, can you post up some pics with the unit off, or even better, some how to's.

I'd also like to know how you got the S2000 logo on the screen - Looks awesome.

Neil.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:58 AM

Neil and erm... Neil, I plan to take some photos and explain it better as you have both asked me and iv been busy with other stuff but ill post up some pics soon! All you need is the mount that the TT One comes with and no wiring is required apart from getting the power lead hardwired under the dash and plugging it in when it needs a charge, other then that just tuck them out of the way and its all good! The battery lasts eons! Anyway, pics soon and thanks for liking my work
Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Phenom, I've bought a TT1 today and am desperate to fit it, I've had a look at trying to work out what you've done but just can't see how you could have done it!

Can you post some brief instructions if you've not got time to take the photos so that I can have a go?

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that you used rubber hosing to tighten the mount onto the vent? How did you use this?

Sorry to hassle you, I'm just really impatient and your setup looks soooo good.

Thanks Phenom.

Neil.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nezil,Jun 21 2006, 07:26 PM
Phenom, I've bought a TT1 today and am desperate to fit it, I've had a look at trying to work out what you've done but just can't see how you could have done it!

Can you post some brief instructions if you've not got time to take the photos so that I can have a go?

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that you used rubber hosing to tighten the mount onto the vent? How did you use this?

Sorry to hassle you, I'm just really impatient and your setup looks soooo good.

Thanks Phenom.

Neil.
I too am thinking of buying a TomTom so I await piccies with interest....

Quick Reply: TomTom 510