Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Oil Burner Advice

Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 AM
pip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Burner Advice

I'm moving back to London shortly and I'm looking at selling the S and getting something sensible for a bit. Mainly because my mileage will go up to about 20k a year and the insurance in NW6 will be horrendous for me as I'm paying 1750 in Hemel already. Plus, I want something that will take more than one passenger. And I'm not too bothered about having a sports car right now. I can always get another one when circumstances suit.

I'm sort of thinking about a Leon Cupra TDi as that seems to be fairly decent for the cash, but I've not checked any out as yet. Insurance Group is 13 which should be ok. I would go for something like a Civic Type-R/Cupra R but IG 17 is no good really. The Golf TDi with the 150bhp engine is another alternative.

Does anyone have any experience of either, or have any other possible options? I'm looking for something that won't eat fuel, isn't IG15+ and has "some" guts for motorway driving. The reason I am looking at TD's is because it seems the fuel consumption for the poke seems to be better than petrol alternatives. I could of course be wrong, hence I'd like input from others.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Didn't like the understeer of the V5 I drove a few years back - I can't imagine a heavy diesel engine helps the Leon's handling. However, that was the last generation, and you can't deny they give good bang for the buck.

If you're thinking about diseasel, what about the 2.2 Civic? Group 10, as fast as the the 170BHP Seat, more economic, better residuals.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_the_greek,Jan 10 2007, 08:47 PM
Didn't like the understeer of the V5 I drove a few years back - I can't imagine a heavy diesel engine helps the Leon's handling. However, that was the last generation, and you can't deny they give good bang for the buck.

If you're thinking about diseasel, what about the 2.2 Civic? Group 10, as fast as the the 170BHP Seat, more economic, better residuals.
I'm running an 06 2.2 Civic as a daily driver and it averages 50mpg even using the fairly good acceleration most of the time (the traction control is quite good too - you can floor it on wet roads and get max acceleration without worrying about wheelspin).

It's horrible getting used to the complete lack of revs with a diesel though and you can hardly see anything through the back window when its clean (and you can't keep it clean because there is no rear wiper option). If you want to see what's behind you don't buy one of these
Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
pip

Thanks for the input. I should have added I'm looking at second hand (04ish). I think the only TD Civic is the 1.7 before 06 isn't it?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 AM

I just recently bought an '05 Golf GT TDI 140, and before buying that I tried a Seat Leon TDI 140, an A3 TDI 170 and I have prev tried the Civic diesel. Liked the Civic, esp funky dash, but wasn't so keen on the gearchange, and the engine in one we tried was a bit whiney.

Mechanically the Golf and Seat have a lot in common, but I think the interior of the Golf just looks and feels a much classier place - I much prefer the whole dashboard layout. Also think the Leon is a bit of an odd looking car, although I'll admit the Golf is a bit inconspicuous and common.

I thought the Leon ride was a bit more harsh and uncomfortable over some back roads, the Golf is a better all round compromise, although clearly not a sports hatch.

The 140bhp engine provides plenty of grunt for motorway driving - can't remember torque fig, but it's big - and the Golf rear window is much larger than the Seat, better hatch opening as well.

I would still prefer to jump in my wife's MkV Golf GTI for a drive, particularly around town and on the twisty stuff, where you notice the diesel noise more and the initial sluggishness, but for any motorway / d-c driving, you'd be mad not to use the diesel.

With regard to the A3, despite Audi being the perceived best cars in the VAG group, I was quite underwhelmed by the Audi - didn't think the interior was any better than the VW, it didn't drive any better, and in my relatively short drive I couldn't tell a great difference in the grunt. I'm sure you would notice the extra grunt on a longer comparison, but if I ever want to, for
Old 01-11-2007, 12:15 PM

I've had a Mk1 Focus TDCi Sport for 18months and 30k miles (looks just like an ST170, different alloys, Zetec suspension), and it's been good fun. Not 'teg or S2000 fun, but still entertaining, decently M-way rapid, good steering feel and poise, with the only downside being a semi-harsh ride and a few build niggles. Easy to chip, too!

Would definitely recommend one. '04 plates are as new as they go, should be
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 AM

Another vote for the Golf here...

My ex bought an ex-demo 3-Dr TDI 140. It has run faultlessly for 45k miles, has averaged over 40 mpg - her only complaint is the cost of the tyres (it's on 17s) - go for Conti Sport Contact 2 they last longer and don't seem to lose too much in the grip department. My only complaint is that it is a bit gruff sounding when cold.

It's so much better in terms of ride and handling than the Mk4 Golf Diesels I drove when she was looking... It's not the last word in fluid handling but I found it quite willing and the TC/ESP is pretty good too.

Performance wise it is acceptable... it has about as much peak torque as a Volvo T5 (and 90% of this from about 1700 rpm) so on the motorway it's fine. I have seen less than 30mpg when ragging it but in general driving it sees between 40 and 45 mpg.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 PM

We just got an old Passat for
Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Jan 12 2007, 04:56 PM
Another vote for the Golf here...

My ex bought an ex-demo 3-Dr TDI 140. My only complaint is that it is a bit gruff sounding when cold.
if you leave the car outside overnight..they will be a bit of a tractor when you start them.. apparently something to do with the emission controls..

leave it in a warm garage then it will be much quieter..
Old 01-14-2007, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kobe,Jan 12 2007, 09:54 PM
leave it in a warm garage then it will be much quieter..
No chance - Tammy lives in the garage

Quick Reply: Oil Burner Advice