Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What bike is good for me

Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bike is good for me

Hey guys im in the south florida s2ki forum and im thinking about possibly getting a bike soon...

Check it

I have a little experience on a dirt bike and a 750 i rented for 2 weeks about a year ago on a trip in thailand....

I think im good if i get like a 600

but i also want to know whats a good price for a decent bike for someone like me who works and goes to school at the same time and has about 2 grand already saved up... thanks..
Old 02-05-2007, 08:25 AM
EJO

It kind of depends on what kind of riding you like to do and what look you like; Sportbike vs. Stardard or Sport Tourer. Almost any Japanese 600 or 750 is going to be a good bike as far as reliability and to a beginner rider the handling is going to be indistinguishable. Just from my experience I Love the feel of a true sportbike but can only take riding one for 2 hours at a time. My SV650 is much more comfortable and I could ride it forever but it just isn't quite as fun as the TL1000.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for a used SV650 as a modern inexpensive beginner's choice. it'll hang on any highway in America so you don't strictly have to outgrow it (as you might for a typical 400 or 500 cc "beginner bike").
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 AM

SV650? i dont like the look at all...too naked
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM

How much are you willing to spend? Bodywork costs money. What do you like the look of now?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Feb 5 2007, 01:15 PM
How much are you willing to spend? Bodywork costs money. What do you like the look of now?
im willing to spend like 3,000 or 4,000 on a nice bike from like the year 00 and up.. used if anything

..i would like everything covered up... an extreme example would be the hayabusa. but something sort of what the 750's look like
Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Sounds like you might dig the 2000 Honda VFR800FI or CBR600F4. problem is, you are more likely find clean ones for 4-5K, not 3-4K. Check out models you like at KBB.com to get some idea. You might get lucky on a much lower price.

I know you're not into the look but that SV650 is one of the bargains of the century.

Don't forget to price insurance too. Costs vary wildly by region, company, and bike so don't ask us here. Call a few agents and get some real quotes.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 AM
jah

everyone is built different, some peeps can ride a sportbike aggressive for like 10hours and be ok and they be 40-50year old. your body will need 1-2mo to adj to the bike. going to the gym helps as some sort of limited physical reserve is necessary.

if you need a loan for the new bike, secure it some way other than a typical auto loan as full coverage after your 1st speeding ticket/accident is high.

a sportbike >15Kmiles is used up. expect 40-50k miles total run time. ebay plastic is affordable. sportbikes are kinda fierce, color is a dont care. naked bikes are difficult to keep clean/gay.

get a used bike, if you had success with the rented 750, get a 750 or 1000. a 1liter bike is easier to stunt. good or bad a 1000 is way different than a 750:
-difficult to keep desire in ck with ability, if you are able to do this you get to live
-an 80% day is unacceptable, take it easy
-with any bike the biggest bad is other drivers.

a hayabusa is stright line fun, an r1 is a different tool. a 00 gsxr750 was the first modern sportbike. honda has a stout frame for stunting, r1 mid way, frame welds have been reported breaking on some later gixxers (>2004). fuel injection is a must. bikes are generally easy to work on, you will need bike stands, frame sliders and front ebc-hh pads. a good idea: front ss brake lines, change the rear sproket 2 teeth. if the bike plastics are originally pristine save them and buy a set of junk scratched up ebay plastic $600.

save some money for gear: helmet, race gloves & boots, leather jacket pants with hard plastic, get a summer jacket. get the very best, used ok tho.

security is an issue, have a place to lock up the bike.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Let's face it--if you're in Florida, chances are you'll be doing most of your riding in a straight line.

A 600 would be fine. Please though, no neon or extended swingarms!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Feb 8 2007, 07:28 PM
Let's face it--if you're in Florida, chances are you'll be doing most of your riding in a straight line. ........
Those are wise words to consider.

I owned sport bikes, adventure bikes, dirt bikes and standards. Then I moved to central Illinois and most of the enjoyment went away. I had never been able to see myself riding a cruiser, but then I bought a Victory and saw the light. In a flat place it is the way to go. I enjoy biking again and I spend a lot of time exploring backroads all over central IL on my Vic.

Steve

Quick Reply: What bike is good for me