S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

single vs dual exhaust

Old 02-27-2002, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single vs dual exhaust

Why did the factory use dual exhaust? Isn't single exhaust a straighter shot?
Which is better? Any performance gains besides the weight savings?
Which single is best and lightest?
Old 02-28-2002, 09:55 AM

I prefer the look of a single outlet exhaust and on a 4 banger I think a single would have been a better choice. However I am in no way an expert and do not doubt for a second the decision made by the engineers at Honda to put in a dual. There has been several debates between the different brands of exhaust (ie Mugen-dual vs. Spoon-single). Both gained hp and tq but in different areas on the power curve. The weight advantage goes to Spoon but Mugen is considerably quieter. There are some single Ti exhaust Amuse, Veilside, and others that are really light but reaaaly loud.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:20 AM

singles are mostly louder than duals. singles are usually lighter than duals.

dual exhausts (by themselves) have proven to gain very little power (zero, by all the third party testing, on the Mugen - but it does save you significant weight) - Neuspeed's internal testing shows 5HP gains at peak, but we have lots of cynics on the board any no one that i know have done a back to back (same day) comparison vs. stock.

according some owners single outlet exhaust made more significant power (especially for the amuse R1 Titanium). our prototype N1-Street exhaust made pretty good gains, but some people prefer not to accept that until another 3rd party testing can be done.

when you get down to it it's all about personal preference and tastes. DC loves his exhaust, but i thought they looked like perky nipples the way the tips come out so it's all about personal taste
Old 02-28-2002, 01:56 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, what Mingster said.

I think of it this way: Honda probably wanted the *look* of a dual exhaust, which has come to be associated with fast, powerful cars. (This association resulted because, for decades, fast powerful cars have had V-engines with twin headers, so a free-flowing exhaust system would naturally consist of two straight pipes.) So Honda designed a superb exhaust system which happens to have dual tips. The tradeoffs, unfortunately, were higher weight and, to some people, a somewhat contrived look (since they know it's a 4-banger with a single header). So by going to a straight-pipe design, you can save significant weight (up to 40 lbs!), gain a couple horses (not much since Honda's design is so good), plus go back to the more "genuine" look of a high-performance 4-cylinder car. On the other hand, unless you "fix" the rear diffuser in some way, it might look like you're missing one exhaust tip!
Old 02-28-2002, 02:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mingster
[B]dual exhausts (by themselves) have proven to gain very little power (zero, by all the third party testing, on the Mugen - but it does save you significant weight) -
Old 02-28-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

My car made 3-9% more HP and 5-12% more torque than five other cars, including those with single exhausts, using the Mugen exhaust.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&highlight=dyno

Perhaps you want to show some SAME DAY/ SAME DYNO / SAME CAR results to back up your statements. Otherwise I am forced to say again that that you are making unsubstantiated statements.
i was quoting VaporS2K (the first member to actually get the Mugen exhaust and dyno it) from his first dyno experiences, plus mine. they weren't done on the same day - I don't know about VaporS2K's dyno. i know dyno numbers fluctuate day to day, but when i had mine on it made no gains on the 6 separate runs i had with the mugen exhaust vs. the 6 runs i had (all corrected) with bone stock numbers. (shrug), maybe you're lucky Chris, and after seeing all the dyno numbers members put up (from 17x to 20x stock?), i wouldn't be surprised to see variations between different cars. you made more power than other cars on the same day? good for you. i witnessed almost 9% difference between my stock numbers and Socal28s - and though i do envy SoCal28's stock numbers, it still doesn't mean his stock exhaust system is better than mine
Old 02-28-2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by mingster
- and though i do envy SoCal28's stock numbers, it still doesn't mean his stock exhaust system is better than mine
Exactly! You can prove little or nothing with different dyno/car/day comparisons.. that is why I suggest everyone gives up the line that one exhaust is better than the next unless they have CONTROLLED test results.

Mingster, like I said to start with.. your comments regarding duals is misleading and could be totally wrong.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:59 PM

Uh boy here we go again.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:51 PM

Why do all Dual exhaust owners argue about this. Every Sinlge owner claims to get gains off a single, and most owners of duals say they gain little, but there is always someone to debate statements.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Pappy
Why do all Dual exhaust owners argue about this. Every Sinlge owner claims to get gains off a single, and most owners of duals say they gain little, but there is always someone to debate statements.
Because you make claims that you can't back up with documentation. It is all about back to back controlled tests or you have nothing but unsubstantiated claims and gee-whiz dyno numbers.. and butt dynos are like opinions...

Quick Reply: single vs dual exhaust