S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How-To: Add Second 12v Accessory Outlet

Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face How-To: Add Second 12v Accessory Outlet

So I bought a GPS a few months back. After wrestling with the power cord for a few trips I decided to bite the bullet and add a second 12v Outlet. This requires cutting of a panel. Good News the Panel is only about $15. After I priced it I wasn't too worried.

DISCLAIMER - I do not guarantee any procedures or products that are demonstrated here are the best for your car as I cannot control your circumstances.
So if you screw something up - it's not my fault. Please Read Very Carefully, feel free to PM me with Questions.

Okay. Disconnect the Battery.

Tools and Supplies You'll Need:
  • Philips Screw Driver
  • Soldering Gun and Wire
  • Electrical Tape
  • Electrical Wire (16-18g *guess*)
  • Wire Stripper
  • 2 Male And 2 Female Connectors
  • 1 Ring Terminal
  • 1 "Mini" Add-A-Circuit (Bought at Autozone)
  • 1 12v Outlet *The one used here is out of a 2004ish Trail Blazer* H and A Accessories Sells the OEM Honda for the Element for $11.
H and A Accessories - Near Bottom

1. I started by Cutting my "power wire" to about 4'-6" (Just to be safe)
On one end - add either a Male or Female connector (I soldered them too - but I don't imagine you would have too) and Tape *See Pics*
The Other End just leave bare as you will connect this to the Add-A-Circuit.

2. Next Cut a Smaller Wire (Approx: 8"-12") and Attach a ring terminal on one end (Depending on the size you use, you may have to cut the Ring itself to allow it to fit under the bolt - shown in next Pic)
On the other end add a Male or Female connector.

(Here is a Pic of all the Connections)
(Left *Orange=Power from 12v Outlet *Black = Ground from Outlet)
(Top *Red = Power end From Step 1)
(Right *Yellow = Ground -one end male or female to connect to Black Ground on 12v and the Ring to Ground on Frame)

3. Next I added male or female ends (depending on how your choice in the first two steps) to my 12v. Remember this is not OEM Honda. So this step could be different depending on your selection of 12v Outlet.

4. Next Remove the Panel on the Passenger Side just to the Right of the Head Unit. This Will require the philips screw driver.

Remove the Screw and Carefully Pop the Panel Off - (**There are Two Clips that hold this in place one at the top directly above the screw and one in the back - See Pic Below**)

5. Once this is removed - you should measure the 12v you have selected and mark on the back of the panel. This may take some creativity depending on the size.

As show in the photo you should make the hole above the screw hole, as you only have a specific place where it can fit next to the Head Unit. *See Pic Below - To the LEFT of the Support Bar is where the "butt" has to go*

In other words, make it as close to the Line (near the 4" as shown above) as possible. See Next two Pics for Visual
*REMEMBER- CHECK - MEASURE - RECHECK- REMEASURE - RECHECK- REMEASURE -Cut*

I started with a smaller hole, and used a Dremel tool to slowly increase the diameter of the hole. Making sure it would be a snug Fit.

This should be a Similar Result

6. Next you can either begin to Wire or Add additional security to the Plug and Glue it in from behind. I used the Dremel to scuff up the surrounding area on the back of the panel to give the glue something to "bite" to. I did this just as an extra precaution, it was very snug with out but now it's not going anywhere.

7. Next Wiring.

Using the Add-A-Circuit "MINI" - connect your Power Wire and Add-A-Circuit together.

Add a 10amp Fuse (provided in the Pack)

Run the Power wire Behind the Head Unit and out the Side where the Panel is removed on the Passenger Side (A Helper would be good here)

Next Remove the Bolt as Shown in the Pic and Ground Here - using your Yellow Ground Wire - Ring End. (Here you made have to trim the ring itself as I did mine)

Next Make the Proper connections (Ground *Yellow* to Ground *Black* & Power *Red* to Power *Orange*)

Reinstall Passenger Panel.

Now Remove the 10amp Fuse from the 12v Accessory Slot on the Fuse Block under the Dash - Take the 10amp from the fuse panel and insert it into the second slot on the Add-A-Circuit.

And Insert the Metal Clip of the Add-A-Circuit into the Fuse Block.

Please note I used a different location that what will be suggested. So my Pictures will be a little off.
The fuse slot you should be looking for is the 12v Accessory a 10amp fuse. *Located where the Red Wire is coming from*

I did not use this b/c I have a "Yellow Box" that is powered using this slot, so I chose a constant power source (which will remain on even with the key out of the ignition). *You can see where the Add-A-Circuit was used*

This is where I went back and retraced all the wire and zip tied it in various locations under the dash to make sure any loose wire was out of the way of myself and any moving parts.

That's It -

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, can't say Ill be any help but Ill try.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

nice write up. Stickied too
Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like everything except the fact that the cig plug is from a GM
Old 06-22-2007, 07:25 PM

sorry i am not so well at English,
please tell how many wires in total have to connect?
2? or more?
if it is 2 , is it just power it, and ground it???
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Yes Basically Two

Add-A-Circuit + Power Wire -> Power on 12v Outlet

Ground From Support Brace -> Ground on 12v Outlet
Old 06-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by imdarkrider,Jun 22 2007, 08:17 PM
I like everything except the fact that the cig plug is from a GM
Well I agree - I wasn't "all about it" at first. But the OEM Honda Plugs all have a Cover that sticks out and says "12v outlet" or something. This one was pretty much flat and had a nice trim ring that was black as well. Plus it was Free.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jun 22 2007, 06:00 PM
nice write up. Stickied too
Thank You Sir
Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to be one of those, but unless you are moving your GPS from car to car, why not hard wire it?

By the way, VERY nice write up I like it very much, certainly better placement than the OEM outlet lol. nothing like draping wires across your interior for your GPS or Radar
Old 06-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by blackout,Jun 23 2007, 02:59 AM
Hate to be one of those, but unless you are moving your GPS from car to car, why not hard wire it?

By the way, VERY nice write up I like it very much, certainly better placement than the OEM outlet lol. nothing like draping wires across your interior for your GPS or Radar
Well, b/c I do move it. I don't drive the S everyday. Plus even with using the cell phone charger it gets on my nerves. So it's not just for a GPS, if you've ever been on a long road trip with your SO...and both cell phones are about to go - guess what? One of you will be shit out of luck, and Ill give you one guess as to who that is......

So having two outlets has it's perks.

Thanks for the input though. Everyone has their way of doing things. This is purely a visual aide for those who are curious as to what it takes to do the mod.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by blackout,Jun 22 2007, 11:59 PM

sorry to bother.
but can u tell how to hard wire it??

Quick Reply: How-To: Add Second 12v Accessory Outlet