S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MOVING CAR with NO DRIVER

Old 06-01-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOVING CAR with NO DRIVER

I was parked at my girl's house which is on a 20-25 degree incline. I haven't had any trouble with it before. On sunny days or raining days. I always parked in neutral (for lack of experience) .

Yesterday as I was practicing some softball right infront of her house, and some old guy walked by and all a sudden either

a) the old guy was playing a trick with hi jedi power
b) it was pure fluke

that the car start rolling back (with the e-brake on of course)
and I happened to be right at the end of the driveway.

I was thinking SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT , as I ran up, and start trying to push it or rather to stop it. Maybe i was lucky that I was able to stop it in time, and it ended up half way on the road. (phew) ...

couldn't imagine what would have happened it I wasen't there.... and I still ponder how it happened and how come it happened at the only time I have gone out to play baseball. it was like 1/1000000 chance that I happened to be right there.... just in time at the right place to be able to stop it......

Old 06-01-2002, 02:55 PM

What likely happened was that the rear brakes were slightly warm and the handbrake wasn't engaged enough. As the brakes cooled, the handbrake couldn't hold it. In the future, park it in gear and turn the front wheels so that they'll get hung up on the curb if the car starts to roll.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try leaving your car in FIRST GEAR along with the E-Brake, and if its on an incline, turn your wheels so the car will roll back into the curb, not down the street.

glad you caught it in time.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:01 PM

You're batman.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:03 PM

That happened to me once. I was parked on my friends driveway. When we came out like 20 min ago, the car started to roll down the driveway. It was really weird that it just started as we walked out the front door.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Always park your car in gear AND use the handbrake!
(If you own a motorcycle, you should always park it in gear. You wouldn't believe how much grief NOT doing this has caused.)
Old 06-01-2002, 04:41 PM

the same thing happened to me once...except mine was still running...i parked on a medium incline and left the car running while i ran inside a house...when i came out the car was rolling slowly backwards down the hill...i was able to walk over and get in to stop it, but i learned my lesson...when parking with only the parking brake on, make sure it is fully engaged before walking away...no harm, no foul
Old 06-01-2002, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Schatten
try leaving your car in FIRST GEAR along with the E-Brake
glad you caught it in time.
Does it have to be in FIRST GEAR? Or will any gear be OK?
Old 06-01-2002, 05:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by auDD

Does it have to be in FIRST GEAR? Or will any gear be OK?
1st gear and reverse has the most mechanical advantage. If you were on a very steep hill like some of those in San Fran, 6th gear might be a bit iffy.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always leave it in second gear since it has triple-cone synchros. I figure it will get less damage, if any. Maybe I'm just stupid, lol.

Quick Reply: MOVING CAR with NO DRIVER