UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ITR/ATR/S2000

Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR/ATR/S2000

I've had the ITR for almost a month now so thought I'd post my thoughts on it compared to my other two Hondas. Honda - if you're reading take note to remind yourselves what you are best at, and start making some replacements for these fantastic cars.

S2000 - It is almost as raw as the ITR but much scarier to drive quickly. For me it's a terrible winter car for commuting!!! Which is why mine has rarely been out since October. Next year I'm going to SORN it and keep those new bushes and bolts away from the salt - should've SORNed it this winter for the amount it's been used (twice since October). I still can't see me selling it, as nothing else appeals as a replacement

ATR - This is my wife's car, although we share it much more now that we have the ITR. This is one of the most underrated sports saloons ever made IMO. I used to own a standard MY00 Subaru turbo and found it too dull at road speeds and too thirsty. The ATR does everything that the Scooby didn't - 30+mpg, exciting engine and more involving handling. Every time I get in it, I consider it to be the perfect compromise car. The suspension is just stiff enough without being uncomfortable so it is every day usable, but with a real manic character when you choose to thrash it.

ITR - It's a go-kart . It drives very like the S2k but with better steering and without the fear that it's going to kill you at any moment. When you're on the right road in the right weather and in the mood, there is little to touch it. When you're not in the mood and on the way to work at 6am, it's less appealing. Whenever I give my friends the keys to the Teg and tell them to take it for a drive, they come back with a kind of manic terrified smile on their face. A truly great drivers car. It wouldn't be the only car in my garage - it's just too uncompromising. Having said that, I can't see myself selling it until it breaks....

All superb cars, S2000 is still my favourite but the others arent' far behind
Old 01-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant see myself selling the S2K quickly either, but it is a PITA when its wet, cold and dark!

Used to have a CTR and i reckon its the closest thing you will get to a combo of the ATR & ITR.
The CTR used to feel quicker than the S - because of less transmission loss.
It was a good comfortable and spacious car (shagging in the passenger seat was the more comfortable than a mondeo estate)
This was ok until i spotted an old chav driving one like he stole it... thats when i said it had to go. Chavs have given the CTR a bad rep.

Brilliant car for the money [URL=http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/HONDA+CIVIC/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-112-240-4294966988-4294967196/advert.action?R=200903327015827&distance=168&postc ode=bt191hf&channel=CARS&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&mi n_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufactur e=2002&vehicleRegLetter=02](
Old 01-29-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the mention of ATR's gets me all nostalgic

I miss both of mine

Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 AM

no ITR pics yet
Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

"I've had the ITR for almost a month now so thought I'd post my thoughts on it compared to my other two Hondas. Honda - if you're reading take note to remind yourselves what you are best at, and start making some replacements for these fantastic cars."

Unfortunately, many buyers are too inane to appreciate the finer points of the cars, which is why they haven't.

The EK4 VTi is a 'Teg watered-down for commuting, with soundproofing amd moving suspension parts and shit. The extra stroke and cams would be appreciated at times (this car defies the laws of mechanical engineering apparently; I didn't know it was possible for an engine to have no torque and still move the vehicle forwards) but it is refined, a great handler and it's not that slow compared to modern fatties.

The BB8 VTi is the kind of chocolate box Accord; lower the CoG, lose unnecessary wheelbase so one sits in the centre and add active 4WS. The result is one I'd recommend you try. It was the future of fast cruisers.

I'd like to use the S2000 FAR more than I do and I'd not SORN it. With the mods I've made, it's really quite entertaining on cold, slippery roads. At least it cannot say it didn't warn me!

I think when the K-wave changes, an NSX is needed.

Mind you, Esem pissing 'round with that CRX has got me thinking about yet another failed Honda that was a joy to drive...
Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 AM

So still need to add...

CRX
Prelude
NSX.

better start saving
Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Gaz

I've had 3 DC2 ITRs, 1 DC5 ITR, 1EP3 Civic and numerous Civic VTi's before I got my S2k. My brother also has an ATR and my pop runs an ITR GrpN rally car.

The ITR is definitely awesome car in DC2 guise. Very raw, yes, but superly balanced and so much fun to drive and control its poise with the throttle. All those who worship it as one of the best FWD cars ever aren't far off the mark.

I find the S2k, with its traditional sports car layout, a more invigorating drive though. Although its not as raw to drive, the RWD layout and engine lend a sharper edge to it than the ITR. This arguably draws the driver in more and lends it a bit more involvement.

I love the ATR too, although I've only had short drives in it. Very comfortable for a Type R and also very well balanced.

The EP3 didn't do a huge amount for me. I know they're tuneable, but my brother's lightly modded DC2 left my standard EP3 for dust when we had them. They're not a bad car, but they lack the purity of the original Type Rs and it's obvious that there was some compromising to make them more marketable to the UK.

As for the DC5, I find it strikes the best balance. It's noisy, raw and definitely has the Type R heart. However, it's a more comfy car than the original DC2 and with the 6spd box, motorway driving isn't as big a pain as it is in the DC2 either. The interior is a nicer place to be and (running on super) I found it a lot more rapid than my EP3.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:48 AM

My old DC5. Loved every minute of it. Coupled with the Gruppe M intake the noise on V-Tec was incredible.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 AM

I've had 2 x DC2 ITR and an S2000 as well as regular drives in my mates old ATR...

The first ITR one in white was one of the first batch officially imported, I had as a company car and did 78k miles in 18 months in it. I loved it and still miss it in spite of it being a little wearing on long motorway drives. The second in black I ran for 5 months a couple of years ago - I'd still have it now except for splitting up with my ex... I could only drive one car at a time and the S2000 won! It had an AEM intake and the noise in VTEC was brilliant...

I found the ATR a great drive but a little less focussed - a great compromise, comfort, balance and poise...

The S2000 was NIOP, it was a daily driver and I kept until I had done 70+K miles in about 2 years, again, I still miss it...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM

My Teg was a truly awesome car. I don't think you could find another model that ticked all the right boxes for anywhere near what a decent example would cost to buy.

Quick Reply: ITR/ATR/S2000