UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sad.... One less S2000 on the road

Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Sad.... One less S2000 on the road

It's a sad evening for me and the S2000 having parted company on the motorway earlier.

My 32 year driving record is badly blemished, but both my 12 year old son & I have walked away unhurt.

The S looks like a write off which is a great shame for an immaculate 02 plate with 34k on the clock from new. The engine, cabin and passenger side are all fine, but....

We were leaving the interchange roundabout (yeah! I know) between the M27 & M271 heading south on the M271 towards Southampton. The roads were wet and glossy and we've had a casual drive, no heavy control inputs and no VTEC blasts.

As we exit the roundabout we join the main M271 carriageway along a very gentle curve. I'm in the outside of two lanes, taking it easy because the traffic is bunched up after the change of traffic lights on roundabout.

As the very gentle curve straightens out I'm about to shift into fourth just as we cross an unseen transition from the wet tarmac road surface onto a very wet corrugated concrete road surface with ridges full of water.

I'm guessing that one wheel was on tarmac surface and the other on the concrete surface for fractions of a second and W O W

There's traffic on the inside lane next to me and lorries coming up my arse just as the S2000 flicks to the left as the back is moving out to the right towards the centre barrier.

It think I just started to get it back on course but by now we are moving across the flow of traffic on the inside lane. Then, probably with a bit too much correction, having taken a rubber catseye out of the highway centreline the S2000 is now doing a 360 degree spin on the wet concrete across the inner carriageway.

I again try to correct this only to find that we are now spinning backwards towards the lefthand crash barrier.

We hit the barrier hard with the rear off side corner taking out an Armco barrier post. This destroyed the rear bumper, rammed the off side exhaust up underneath the car, broke the driveshaft, burst the rear tyre and pushed the rear wheel up under the wheel arch!

The car is now facing the wrong way and very soon the offside frontwing & side of the car wallop the barrier. The front wheels are at full lock and after the wheel hits the barrier the steering is no more!

Now we continue to slide backwards along the barrier until we hit another barrier post which brings the car to an abrupt halt swinging the front now to the left out into the main carriageway again.

Stunned and disorientated, not sure where I am or which way I'm facing, I'm waiting for the cars that had been beside me in the inside lane to plough into the car. They didn't! Surprisingly, the S2000 hasn't stalled.

Thankfully it all went peaceful before another driver was banging on the passenger window to see if we are ok.

My son and I were able to open the doors and get out all in one piece and unhurt at all. Well built these cars are you know.

The front, bonnet, passengers side, boot and roof and cabin are all fine. However, the drivers side rear wing is demolished, the rear bumper is in bits, the drivers door is creased and the drivers front wing has a couple of gouges.

I'm feeling a bit pissed just now, but glad to be alive with my son shaken but unharmed.

Instinct tells me that although the bodywork might be repairable, when combined with the mechanicals this is probably a write off

But we will see. If not then a good set of blue seats, a great 34k engine, lights, roof, panels and bits should be available soon

Remarkably, the Highways Authority guys were on the scene quickly in their Range Rover. Then cool as a cucumber one of the HA guys says to me that this is a regular event for rear wheel drive cars just at this point on the road. Shame someone couldn't act on this information before I too learnt the hard way!

Anyhow, I'm now carless and waiting on the insurance assessor.

Looking forward to getting it back or buying another soon though!

To the rest of the good folk on the forum, keep safe, take care and have a good New Year.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this but very glad you and your son are OK.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Horrible thing to happen especially with your son in the car but very glad you are both unhurt.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We've had a few so far this year so your not alone.

Glad to here you and your son were unhurt, think of it this way...insurance pay out you get another S, back on the road, happy days
Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Graham

Sod the bloody car.

You and your son are safe.
No one else is hurt.

That is all that counts.

Count yourself lucky.

Now go out and buy a nice 07 08 09 model
Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
J_D

Ouch, sounded like ice, this is why I only take mine out on dry winter days when I can.

I recommend everyone to do a car control day or a drift day, If your running yours through the winter.

Glad your both OK mate.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Really sorry to hear this, but glad you are both alright. Amazing you didn't get hit by someone else, I know how you must be feeling.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Eeek, sorry to hear about that, I was only reading your 'grease for sale' thread earlier Bearing in mind my S is a daily driver, it's for such moments that I wanted a MY06 car with VSA. Hope the insurance co do the right thing and you find another minter you're happy with soon.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM

I know this corner very well and have seen over 20 cars do the same thing in the last few years. There is a very bad combination of changes in Tarmac gradient etc and I have often lost traction in 4th gear in my CTR I feel for you man but as said at least no one was hurt. If you need any help with anything feel free to pm me
Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're both OK shame about the car though.

Quick Reply: Sad.... One less S2000 on the road