S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Blox Round Shift Knob Review: Blox 142 & Blox 490

Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Blox Round Shift Knob Review: Blox 142 & Blox 490

Well, the first thing I wanted to buy for my new S2000 was a nice round shift knob. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the "round" knob feeling, but actually it's very pleasant. It fills the palm and is comfortable in just about any position.

In any case, It just so happened Blox had their open house today and I was able to pick both the *142* and the *490* up for a discounted rate. I just HAD to know for myself what these knobs felt like. The internet can only tell us so much about how the shift knobs feel, weigh and look. Since there wasn't a very definitive review for BLOX knobs and comparing the two, I thought I would take the liberty. I will be reviewing about height, weight, tactile finish, and diameter. These two knobs are Blox's primary Round knobs.

I knew I had several selections such as the following, but because of the discount available and the convenience of buying locally, I just went for it.

The Moddiction Anvil Countersunk - Backordered
Rick's Voodoo Knob Countersunk - Didn't like the styling of the bottom stem
Ebay Vision Knob Not Countersunk - Ebay quality is iffy
TWM knobs - Pricey
MUZ knobs - Even more pricey
S2000 CR/JDM Type-R Knob Not Countersunk - $60.00 -$80.00
Blox 142 (smaller) and Blox 490 (heavier) both not countersunk - ranging from $30-$60

I'm gonna let the pictures do most of the talking, but my impression of the stock knob is that it's a little too small and too tall for my hands. The Egg shaped stock knob, is somewhere in the middle for weight. I don't have a scale, but it's good if you don't wanna spend money on it. It works, It's stock.

The 490 is a stainless steel weighted NON-countersunk 490 gram knob. But it does sit significantly lower than the Stock Knob even without the retaining nut on the stock knob. The "Limited Edition" 490 line has a coating on it that makes it pleasantly smooth and not sticky but highly chrome-reflective looking. It is heavy. I almost don't like the fact that it's so heavy because it feels like it dampens sensitivity that you can feel from the car and is a little "top heavy", but it's size, polished finish and height (without retaining nut) make it my favorite knob. Without being countersunk it already sits low enough so I can rest my elbows on the s2000 console to shift.

The 142 is a aluminum, light, non-weighted knob. It's basically 142 grams. It's diameter is a .2" smaller, which doesn't sound like much but it just feels smaller. It sits the same on the shifter as the 490 but feels oddly small if you have larger hands. The matter silver finish makes it feel a little tactile and tacky but it's also very beautiful and matches the stock silver dash trim. Some people like the feel of a lighter smaller knob and how responsive it needs the driver input to be. You have to help it snap into gears, while for a weighted knob, it just kinda cleanly mushes into the gear. I'm kind of torn, but it's not a bad feeling either way.

In any case,It goes perfectly with the TAN S2000 interior. I personally really like it and think it makes the interior pop. But it might be too much bling for some. The 142 I bought right after just doesnt feel the same compared to the 490. So my plan is to buy another Limited Edition 490 but in a less awesome color like...silver. The stock knob feels a little too small for my hands now.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 PM

You bought a different shift knob because your girlfriend didn't like the other one? Wtf?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's funny you post this...I was just going to post a review on mine. I got it on Friday and have really been enjoying it. Shifting is much smoother, and the overall feel is great. Kinda makes me feel like I'm driving my Z06 again.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MattZ28,Jul 11 2010, 07:20 PM
It's funny you post this...I was just going to post a review on mine. I got it on Friday and have really been enjoying it. Shifting is much smoother, and the overall feel is great. Kinda makes me feel like I'm driving my Z06 again.
Which one did you have?

I really do enjoy the BLOX knob. I mean, I really can't compare it with anything other than the stock one, and the old school type-r knobs from my past civic.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all the knobs have their logo on them? I hate logo'd aftermarket stuff
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how much for stock knob?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Jul 12 2010, 04:59 AM
Do all the knobs have their logo on them? I hate logo'd aftermarket stuff
Actually, I feel your pain. I really hate branded stuff too but the BLOX logo is tiny! and it's hardly noticeable.

Not bad bang for the buck if you don't care about all the other brands out there.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

payment sent
Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 PM

if your girlfriend doesn't like your knob, the future isn't too bright for that relationship.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can I order these?

Quick Reply: Blox Round Shift Knob Review: Blox 142 & Blox 490