S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Direct Port Methanol Injection Setup

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Direct Port Methanol Injection Setup

A couple things I'd like to address BEFORE I get started. I'm no expert, so please don't take anything I say as gospel, just sharing what I have learned, from reading and talking to others. If you have any questions, or something to add/modify, please let me know.

Single nozzle, multi-nozzle, and direct port setups all have pro's/con's. I think it's VERY important to identify your needs, and build a system around that.

I've done a fair share of research/talking/etc to figure out what I think will work best, before I just dove into something ill-prepared.

I am graduating from my single nozzle AEM kit, which in my honest opinion was perfect for me and anyone in and under the 500/600whp range (6xx being in the upper limits imo).

Beyond that, I believe you are walking a fine line using a single nozzle setup, even though I'm aware others have had good luck. To maintain a safe and reliable setup, I think you are grazing the limits of the nozzle/pump at that whp levels on our motors w/stock compression/etc.

I looked into upgrading my current setup w/addition of another nozzle, but I found in the end I needed more assurance and confidence that a direct port system would provide.

**I still maintain, an s2000 maxing out a 30r w/a single nozzle setup on pump gas would be a crazy beast w/o alot of money invested..., lol hindsight.

As some of you may know, when I tore down my motor, I saw signs of heat in cylinders 3 & 4. This led me to believe I wasn't getting enough of my 50/50 mixture in the furthers 2 cylinders that a single nozzle could provide.

Companies.

I looked into a few companies out there. AEM, Devil's Own, and Coolingmist. To be honest, the biggest factor wasn't the quality of the parts, or the catalog they offered, but the customer service. I placed a call to Devil's own a few times with no response. Finally left a voice mail, waited another day or two, no response. The same applied to AEM in regards to pump pressure and nozzle specs. I then checked out coolingmist. They have a built-in aim chat. A guy was there to assist me w/some questions I had. After piecing together what I thought I needed, I called. After a lengthy conversation (45mins), we happened upon a better deal than I had hoped. He put me in a cheaper kit and added the parts I needed, which was cheaper then buying them all separately, and still gave me a discount on top of that.

What I decided to do.

Here is a short breakdown of what I ordered.

Includes:
Progressive controller
0-100 gauge
Flow sensor
Hoses
Checkvalve
(reusing my aem tank)
CMGS 1-100

Nozzles:
x4
180cc/min

Manifold:
4 port distribution block
w/fittings

Also added a few misc relays to wire up pump/etc.

This gives you a good idea of a complete system, or at the very least I think one that will meet my needs.

Something I didn't focus on currently is the issue of flooding after spraying. A negative effect of a direct port system like this, is when the system is primed with fluid, and your motor goes from being pressurized to vacuum. This can cause the remaining liquid in the lines to be sucked into the motor. This can cause a potential rich condition for a second or two after WOT, and cause the motor to stumble.

If this is an issue for me, the only way I have heard to fix this is with a solenoid on each line. This can get rather expensive, so in the meantime, I believe I can just live with it until it becomes an issue. From what I've been told, a check valve on each line will not work, b/c each check valve requires xx pressure to open. This reduces your pump capability overall to perform to it's max level.

I hope this helps clear up some thoughts for people. I'll be sure to post my results.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

^^^ Good deal. As mentioned in my previous water meth post I have ditched the AEM progressive controller in place for a custom set up using the Hobbs switch relay and solenoid. I'm so happy with the results in lighting fast response, but like you...I have been trying to decide if I want to use my primary or even secondary stage as a multi port to insure better distribution, wile also recognizing the potential for flooding the cylinders. There always seems to be some draw back

I haven’t made up my mind yet, but I’ve been doing some research on Cooling Mist site for prices on the few parts I would need, which I guess would just be the 4 injectors/nozzles, and distribution block you happen to have listed. I have everything else already for the 2 stages. I will post as I continue to make improvements/changes as well.

Good Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would still like a contact at AEM, there is an engineer there that is highly knowledgeable and helpful with meth systems in general. Believed he is a lead developer in their meth kits and actually came from another competing methanol system company.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Stuff just showed up right now in fact. Ordered Wednesday night, here already.

Only thing I didn't care for, was their clear line, so I ordered some black line as well.

$1.00/ft
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What about plumbing up an independent fuel rail and system, 4 fuel injectors, run whatever blend meth through it, and use the staged injection functions in your EMS?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by siadam,Feb 7 2011, 11:15 AM
Stuff just showed up right now in fact. Ordered Wednesday night, here already.

Only thing I didn't care for, was their clear line, so I ordered some black line as well.

$1.00/ft
The clear line is kind of nice if you want to see the fluid, could be handy in any trouble shooting situations.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by boostedf22c,Feb 7 2011, 11:17 AM
What about plumbing up an independent fuel rail and system, 4 fuel injectors, run whatever blend meth through it, and use the staged injection functions in your EMS?
Well that would be a great way to spend some more money anyway. If there was some benefit to this over taping directly into your intake runners... like say the fuel rail might give you more feasible options to keep the injectors from draining into the combustion chamber under vacuum, then that would be a worthy cause.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how far was your nozzle from the tb? i was reading that the further away the better for atomization, but decreased effectiveness of cooling the charge
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by boostedf22c,Feb 7 2011, 11:17 AM
I'm lazy, lol.

I know they made civic manifolds w/dual 8 injector bosses, something like that would be perfect for us meth guys...

To much trouble imo, when something like this will work well imo.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Feb 7 2011, 03:29 PM
Well that would be a great way to spend some more money anyway. If there was some benefit to this over taping directly into your intake runners... like say the fuel rail might give you more feasible options to keep the injectors from draining into the combustion chamber under vacuum, then that would be a worthy cause.
I think it'd be an awesome way to go about it. Talk about full control over the system.

It would be more expensive, but it would also be a much better system. It's all relative though. Cost is important to me, but it's not the first thing I think of when making choices for parts. Reliability, and function comes before cost in my eyes. But it's a give take of course.

Quick Reply: Direct Port Methanol Injection Setup