S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone use an oil catch tank???

Old 11-06-2002, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use an oil catch tank???

Anyone use an oil catch tank??? If so, where did you install it? I'm planning on using one but can't find a good location for it. Best option so far is to relocate the battery and place the tank where the battery currently is.

Any thoughts??
Old 11-06-2002, 11:00 AM

talk to jdmwhore
Old 11-06-2002, 11:21 AM

It's not a good idea to get a oil catch can for a car, unless you are going to race it eveyday.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:56 AM

i got the cusco...
its pretty...
besides that...no notable improvements
Old 11-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by TSS2000
It's not a good idea to get a oil catch can for a car, unless you are going to race it eveyday.
Care to add some substance to that statement? Isn't an oil catch can just there to prevent oil from being sucked through the PCV valve into the intake manifold? If so, why wouldn't it be beneficial for any use.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:48 PM

An oil catch can is probably one of the best things you can do to your car. Over time, the oil vapors gum up the intake manifold.. and it's really nasty.

If I had a brand new car, the first thing I would do is get an oil catch can. Then you can either vent the clean air back into the intake tract, or to the atm. However, if you vent to atm, this is considered illegal in emission-regulated states.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by TSS2000
It's not a good idea to get a oil catch can for a car, unless you are going to race it everyday.
I have no idea why this wouldn't be good for the car?? Have you ever seen the inside of a Honda intake manifold? After time the oil sucked out of the valve cover completely coats the inside of the manifold like tar. Why would it be a bad thing to trap some of this oil before it reaches the manifold?
Heres a pic of my install:

-Preston
Old 11-06-2002, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JDMwhore
[B]

I have no idea why this wouldn't be good for the car?? Have you ever seen the inside of a Honda intake manifold?
Old 11-06-2002, 04:14 PM

Nice install JDMwhore!
I'm still using the stock intake so that location is fairly unavailable to me. I even tried placing it horizontally where the factory horn is but there isn't enough space their either.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:14 PM

It is a good idea for high performance engines to have oil catch cans. The positive crankcase ventilation scum and vapor eventually accumulate around the valves, seats, port mismatches, and inside the combustion chamber. When accumulated in the combustion chamber or on valves in larger deposits, those spots can become a heat sink in the combustion chamber which can glow super-hot and cause pre-ignition or detonation. This is more common to cars with inefficient combustion chambers, but is a possibility of a problem easily eliminated. Catch cans are more frequently employed in forced induction cars because of the possible contribution to detonation.

The only reason I can think of that catch cans aren't usually used in production cars is that having to despose of the scum is an environmental hazard and an extra maintenance cost.

Quick Reply: Anyone use an oil catch tank???