Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

05 S2k - Purchase Advice

Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S2k - Purchase Advice

Hello everyone. Want to first off say that i have done some searches. And some reading the past couple of days on here.

I am going to look at a 2005 S2000 today, silver with red interior. Has 32k miles. Test drive and take to my mechanic to look over. I found a few threads when searching, what to look for when buying an s2k. Main things i found were check oil, check any codes with scanner, and a 1st to 2nd grind.

Anything in particular to look for in a 05 model, or the AP2's that are common problems, or things to watch out for.

Also, what price should i try to get the car from them for.

I currently drive an 05 Corolla XRS (2zz-ge celica gt-s motor with 6speed).

Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spacers. Even though it's used, they've been known to still be there.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by 3ngin33r1,Apr 15 2008, 05:36 AM
Spacers. Even though it's used, they've been known to still be there.
Can you explain what you mean by spacer? I mean are we talking wheel spacer or am i completely off here?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM

spring spacers that are put in during shipping.

Do a search here for spring spacers and you'll find hundreds of threads, mostly on new cars but there have been reports of used cars still having them.

Removing them is part of the dealer checklist but it is sometimes overlooked.

If I were to buy again from a dealer, I'd have them put the car on a lift so I could inspect it underneath, even if it was a new car.

There is no reason they should refuse that request, looking under the hood will only tell you so much, everything else is under the car.

The other item that sometimes gets removed or not installed are the front strakes. Check for those too, they make a big difference during driving.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I am taking it to my mechanic and we are putting it on the lift to overlook it. I wont be purchasing today, but look to buy by the end of the week. I have a few things left to revert back to stock on my corolla.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM

While you're there, check each door, hood and trunk lid for the VIN sticker and make sure they match if they are there. If the sticker is gone or doesn't match, it was replaced, then you get to ask why. I haven't seen one fall off...
Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Also, get it in some light next to other cars and look at their reflections in the paint of the S2000. They should be smooth and follow the body styling. If the reflections look a bit off where they should look smooth or are wavy, chances are it has seen some damage and been repainted.

And depending on the color, check for mismatched panels, the bumpers, side strakes (if installed) lips and spoilers won't be an exact match but some colors flop when changing angles and light conditions. At least I know Suzuka Blue flops. If it doesn't flop or flops to an odd shade when looking at the rest of the panels, it's probably repainted as well. This can be hard to check as not everyone sees the flopping the same way.

When I had some door damage and a repaint, I couldn't see the mis-flop but a friend of mine could and the shop repainted it again.

Check the seams on the doors, hood, bumpers and trunk, they should measure evenly all around. If they don't, they may have been removed or replaced.

Check each wheel for curb rash too.

Crank the heater up and let it get hot, kick on the AC and spin it cold and see how long it takes to cool down. If you're got a thermometer, check the temp of what it's blowing out both hot and cold. Once it's cold, spin it back to hot but leave the AC on.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Wow!! Great advice. Thank you so much. Its 05 silver with the red/black interior.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, another issue I hear a few are having is popping out of gear. Some say at high speeds, their gear seems to pop back out to neutral. Some say it happens at low speeds. I would check both cause it doesn't hurt to. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by killer2239,Apr 15 2008, 12:31 PM
Wow!! Great advice. Thank you so much. Its 05 silver with the red/black interior.
Check the bolsters on the leather seats for wrinkled leather from larger hind quarters. Compression in these can cause premature wear on the sides of seats which would result in a hole.

Also, check the soft top fabric for wear marks. Do a search here for holes and you'll find a bunch of threads with pictures showing where to look.

Check the rear glass area for any rips, loose threads, broken defrost element wires, etc. and don't be afraid to lift up the flaps back there and look underneath.

Put the top up and down several times and make sure it works correctly.

Take the parking brake off and make sure the top doesn't operate. Drive it slowly and make sure it doesn't work then either.

Bring a CD and make sure the headunit works.

Check your cruise control too, and not just on/off with the switch, make sure it disengages on brake AND on clutch in. You should be able to tap the clutch peddle and it will disengage (nice feature, keeps your brake lights from flashing and throwing off other drivers behind you). Once it disengages, make sure the resume works.

Quick Reply: 05 S2k - Purchase Advice