Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

AP1 Gang

Old 05-28-2019, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AP1 Gang

Just picked up a clean 2001 AP1 GPW with red interior! It has all 10 matching VIN panels, clean title, never been in an accident!
It has 179k miles on it now and everything is perfect except the AC. I think it needs a new compressor but if Im lucky it just needs to be vacuumed and refilled.

It has a brand new soft top last year with the glass window too.

I have been looking for about 6 months, several times per day on all the online sites nationwide and finally this popped up last friday.
I was really looking for an AP2 Laguna Blue (for a lot more money) and was about to go fly and pick one up across the country next week but this came up and was too good a deal to pass up.

First on my list is to check valve lash and adjust if necessary because the PO didn't know when the last time it was done.

Need to do an oil change and then track how much oil it burns, on a side note how the hell do you read these dipsticks? It is really hard to get a clean reading especially with fresh oil...I can't see where the line is.

Need to fix the AC

Full detail and wax and then it should be good to go!

It also has a Thinkware Dash cam behind the rearview mirror which I have to figure out how to use and probably get the modifry radio control thing so the stock left hand controls work with the aftermarket head unit.
Attached Thumbnails AP1 Gang-img_8938.jpg   AP1 Gang-img_8944.jpg   AP1 Gang-img_8942.jpg   AP1 Gang-img_8939.jpg   AP1 Gang-img_8941.jpg  

Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Oh and I was hoping one of you could maybe help me, I have only ever seen this exact seat color in one picture online (in a for sale ad for a 2007 GPW with Red/black seats).

Every other red/black seats I have seen were inverted with the black around the edge and red in the middle. I honestly like this style way better than the normal red/black. I wonder if these seats are from a newer 2007 GPW car? I think 2007 was the only AP2 GPW year with red/black seats.

These for sure look OEM, not reupholstered and there is some bolster wear like normal but they are in really good shape for the age and mileage.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

My guess is the seats have been changed, I think the 01 red seats were all red with red/black doors. Anyhow...nice find, I like the look of your car.
Levi
The following users liked this post:
CTSV (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car! Looks great for 179k and with proper maintenance it will last for quite some time to come.

Read both sides of the dipstick and use the lower reading of the two. And yes, with very fresh oil it can be hard to read.
CTSV (05-28-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If you take a propane torch to the end of the dip stick it darkens it so you can read light oil better.
CTSV (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
If you take a propane torch to the end of the dip stick it darkens it so you can read light oil better.
Nice I will try this. I was going to try sand paper to scuff it up a little but torch is easy.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Congrats and welcome! Can't go wrong with GPW and on the dash cam! You might find this thread helpful, i.e. if you haven't already read over it - Just Bought a Used S2000.
CTSV (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Nice car! Welcome to the family.

I also just put the dipstick under bright light which helps a bit. Each X on the dipstick equates to roughly 100mL of oil.

Seats could have been re-upholstered. But they look good in the white car!

They do use some oil, even at lower mileage, so most of us just check it at least once per tank of gas, more if it is being autox'd or tracked.

There are some good resources on here for the car, so poke around and read up. Billmans posts have great info in them and will help you learn the ins and outs of this car from a mechanical standpoint.
CTSV (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a year 2000 AP1 and I've been adding about half a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (I check mine every other fill-up).

*EDIT* I should say most I've added was half a quart every 1,000 miles.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info, I have been searching for an S2000 for 6 months or more but have wanted one for a long time so have already read a shit ton on here.

This place is great and has a ton of info!

I am definitely curious how much oil this one burns, it seems ok so far but haven’t driven very much yet.
I had a heavily modified forged motor big turbo 2007 Subaru WRX so I am no stranger to burning oil and having to check oil every fillup lol. Those cars drink oil like it’s their job.

Gotta fix the AC first and foremost, it is high 90s down here already so it’s pretty miserable driving in the sun even with the top down.

I already ordered all the honda oem gaskets, seals, NGK spark plugs, and the valve adjustment tool so I can tackle that all this weekend.
The PO that owned it for like 140k miles before the guy I bought it from was an aircraft mechanic and everything looks really well maintained so I have a feeling the valves have been adjusted but doesn’t hurt to double check.
There is an OEM Honda oil filter on it now which is a good sign and I just bought a new one to do an oil change so I have a good base to see how much oil it burns from here on out.
Also going to do a UOA from Blackstone like I do on all my cars to make sure things are healthy.

I might do a compression check too just for shits and giggles to see how it looks.

For the seats, I have seen reupholstered S2k seats and they never look this good and if they were I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have also replaced the bolsters. Either way I like the seats and the rest of the interior is original.
Missing the red floor mats tho and they are all like $200 for replacement OEM red mats!

The front tires are dated from 2011 but still have tons of tread left, I have a feeling this car wasn’t really abused and was pretty much all highway miles.

Last edited by CTSV; 05-30-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: AP1 Gang