Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Found Another 1 Help on Inputs

Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found Another 1 Help on Inputs

Well I'm close to owning a 01 GPW S2K with Red interior, I went today to check it out a 2 hour and 30 min drive there and back home. When we got there the car was gergous just a beautiful car. The car has 28k miles on it and its an 2001 the guy is a 2nd owner of it but on the carfax it shows 3 but no big deal he showed me all the maintance and all the records of the car that he has and has done just some oil changes and new tires. So I get there I hop in and put the top down (I had too) and take it for a spin. The owner had noted the lil door ding and a a rock chip and the clutch noise. This is what he stated in the email "The car has the clutch noise on deceleration that was pretty common with the early S2000s, but I was told that it is just a noise and is not a problem." As we get up to speed I ask him about it and try to hear it and I do. It's kind of a scary sound not something you would want to hear. The sound comes from 2nd gear when your at 3-4k when the RPMS are dropping around that range. This also happens in the 3rd gear and it's less noisy up the gears. I was just curious about this sound that scarys me what could it be? Is it common in the s2k early ones? How can it be fixed? Is the tranny bad or the clutch or what? Please provide me with some good info because I really want this car. Oh he also stated that he took it to Honda and they said its a common thing for them, the early ones do it thats what they said and i think he said that a new clutch would fix it. All comments and opinions welcomed!

Thx for looking
Old 09-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only sound I get from my '07 is the drone of the Invidia but nothing from the clutch or transmission.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 PM

It's like a buzzing sound. Does it mean that so long as a new clutch is changed the sound will be gone? If I simply ignore it will it have effect on the car? will it damage the gearbox? or engine? Please kindly advise and thanks for the time guys! Oh and I also notice that the clutch pedal also vibrate alot, I pressed the clutch just a little bit when it was decelerating from 4k and down and i could feel it vibrate.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 PM

Just the fact that your asking means you shouldn't ignore it. It obviously bothers you and I have not heard of it before so I would check it out. There are lots of S2000 for sale either close to you or not, but don't rush your decision.

I definitly would show some concern, especially if someone told me to ignore it. If you stuck on this car then take it in, pay some money and get it tested. Find another S owner near you and take them with you next time you go out and they can tell you if the sound is something to be worried about. I can't comment on older models but that type of noise would put me off.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 AM

its the clutch springs buzzing this is common on 2000-2001 models i had an 01 and this problem it doesn't hurt anything its just annoying
Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Oh I stand mistaken then..., perhaps it is nothing.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM

i don't know, maybe shop just 2002+...
Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM

As mentioned, this sounds like the infamous "Clutch Buzz". Do a search on that, it's a well discussed and documented 'PROBLEM' with that MY. Personally, I would just go for something a little newer. Best wishes with your search.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Yea, I think I'm rushing into this more then I think I am. I'm just goning to wait for it when the time is right get the one i want. I'm still in school and we have some bad winters here and can't keep both cars and I was planning on having the S as a DD so I dont think it's the best idea to purchase it now but I was so excited on owning one. I guess when the time is right it'll come to me. Thx for everything guys much appreciate it. I'll get an S sooner or later.

Oh and the price that the guy gave me was 14500$ which is not that bad actually for an 2001 with 28k miles on it 2 owners. I don't think its a bad deal but a bit old.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 PM

you can find em cheaper than that! I bought mine from a dealer Nissan of East Providence(RI) last year in june 2007, it is a 2003 it had 14995 miles on it when I drove it off the lot and paid 14500=) My moms a good negotiator for car prices ha She didnt want me to spend to much.
You said you have not so great winters were your from so also if the S is your DD it will be fun make sure you have spare tires prob. blizzak winter tires and you know how to drive a rwd car in the snow and be easy on it.

Quick Reply: Found Another 1 Help on Inputs