Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Great time of year to buy a Convertible!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great time of year to buy a Convertible!

Hi Everyone:

I purchased a new 2005 New Formula Red S2000 yesterday. Since it was single-digit cold last night and we're supposed to get snow today, I haven't had much of a chance to drive it yet.

I have a long history with cars (which I won't bore you with), but my last two were a 2001 Miata SE, and a 2004 Corvette Convertible.

I loved both of those cars for different reasons, and the S2K seems to be sort of between the two. It has the frenetic go-kart handling like the Miata (but better), but is closer in all-out performance to the Corvette.

I usually get Mod-Fever when I buy a new car, but this one doesn't seem to need much. I'll hard-wire the Valentine One, but don't have any plans beyond that (other than waiting for Spring).

A couple of questions: I learned from doing a search here that the driver's light is supposed to be lower than the passenger light. To me, they both seem too low. With the sharp cut-off, I find myself staring at the convergence point instead of at the road. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in the lighting. I love the brightness and color, but the aiming seems to detract from their effectiveness. Is this something I'll get used to?

Second, what's up with those alleged sun visors? On my test drive, I turned toward the sun. It was shining in from the left front and there's a huge gap between the left edge of the visor and the A-Pillar. When I tried to unlatch the visor to move it over...well, you all know what I discovered.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to this forum. The Miata Forum and Corvette Forum were both very helpful, and I'm sure the S2Ki forum has plenty of interesting and helpful folks as well.

David Futrell
Noblesville, Indiana
Old 12-06-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome, David!

Best wishes with your new S! Yes, the deals on the residual MY05s, particularly now that the cold weather has hit, are outstanding. Congrats.

Warning about the cold: The stock tires are summer performance tires and they get pretty hard when the temps drop down. If you're going to drive through the winter, I strongly recommend buying a set of winter tires for your S.

Regarding the lights... You have it a little wrong, but the effect is the same. It's not that either light is aimed differently, it's that the pattern of each light is "stepped" so that the beam projected on the left side is lower than the right. Both lights have the same pattern, and they overlap in the middle (I'll post a picture below). I guess I'll say it's something you need to get used to, but it wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check that the height is correct.

Best wishes, and welcome aboard . -- Charlie
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, my lights look the same and this is not the first car I've owned with that pattern. Acura has a similar alignment. I haven't had any problem with them.
That visor is kinda useless I agree. Not only is there a gap but when I put mine down I can't see the road. I'm 6 ft but fit otherwise in this car like wearing a glove.
The red is a great color and enjoy your new ride!!!