Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hello

Old 06-21-2023, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello

Hello everyone, my first posting on s2ki. Not an owner yet but looking and trying to get familiarised. I have owned numerous neat cars over the years including a 2003 NSX (a bit underpowered) and wifey drives a ‘19 RDX.

Retirement coming up and I got thinking about doing a few track days from time to time, not to beat it up but just to blow the (my) cobwebs out on occasion. I’ve got a c8 but I didn’t order the right package for tracking, it wasn’t in my thinking originally. Then I went to the Ron Fellows C8 drivers school and reawakened something. I started reading up on the S2000 as it would fit in my garage and seems it would serve my needs far better than the painfully slow little British cars I’ve also had for years. The more I read the more I think the S2000 may be the answer for how I’d use it occasionally.

But trying to find the sweet spot in the S2000 world is hard to navigate for a newbie. How much premium to pay for low miles, how much for gen 1 vs 2, color premium (is yellow really that special?), 10 sticker premium, drive by wire feature post 2005, 2008/2009 last year premium, etc etc.? There’s a ton to read here for sure.

Prices are all over the map, seems to me some used car dealers put up crazy numbers and see who will bite. Then I see a nice one with 2 tone interior and I wonder is it even original and/or what’s not.

All comments and advice welcomed. Thanks
Old 06-22-2023, 03:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with low mileage and 2008 but only got 9/10 VIN for a fender replacement that happened over 10 years ago. Still paid a premium for the miles and years, but it was the best 100% stock low mileage one I could find. It also wasn’t silver which are far more common. Color does make a difference as there were a few for sale here for significantly less than what I paid. My goal was a car I could feel good driving in all kinds of weather (and regularly) but still have one that looks good - I’m not a collector and it sounds like you aren’t either so if you come across a car with front or rear bumper sticker missing, on it’s face, that doesn’t necessarily mean big problem.

I also have an NA2, and if you think that is under powered, you are going to be significantly underwhelmed with an S2000 unless you consistently drive in the high RPM range. The AP2 does better in low rpm department, but I have never driven an AP1 to say for sure.

Savagegeese has a great S2000 buyer guide on YouTube. That helped me focus my search.

Overall, because the newest ones are now 14/15 years old, I wanted the newest one I could find to hopefully avoid the “things that wear out over time” for awhile. I also wanted the updated dash and wheels and “relative” rarity.

Good luck with search. It’s all preference.
The following users liked this post:
GBR! (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the input it’s very helpful, I’ll study the video you pointed me to.

Dont get me wrong on the NA2, it was like the Swiss watch of cars, wonderful quality. But the ~275 hp seemed to me not that much more than the S2000. The comparison to the C8 at 495 hp was what I was thinking when I made the NSX power comment. The NA2 seems like a much bigger car. I also have in mind the MX5 at less than half the power as another data point.

I’ve read feedback on various sales forums comparing the speed of the S2000 to a motorcycle on 4 wheels. I haven’t driven one yet so it’s all just perception at this point.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Luke-44
Thanks for the input it’s very helpful, I’ll study the video you pointed me to.

Dont get me wrong on the NA2, it was like the Swiss watch of cars, wonderful quality. But the ~275 hp seemed to me not that much more than the S2000. The comparison to the C8 at 495 hp was what I was thinking when I made the NSX power comment. The NA2 seems like a much bigger car. I also have in mind the MX5 at less than half the power as another data point.

I’ve read feedback on various sales forums comparing the speed of the S2000 to a motorcycle on 4 wheels. I haven’t driven one yet so it’s all just perception at this point.
I have 3 manual cars (the S2000, NSX and a '21 Civic Sport Touring) and I have to adjust my driving style in each one of them. The S2000 is going to feel very underpowered in low RPMs and gears; the '21 Civic Sport Touring 6MT and it feels like a torque-monster compared to the S2000 even though overall torque rating is probably the same. The NSX by comparison feels VERY powerful if I drive it like the S2000. The bottom line is you have to adjust your driving style to match the car and accept the S2000 turning 4,000 rpm at 70+ mph on the highway. I like the NSX and S2000 because they require you to work for your speed and they can be wound up without getting in trouble on the street. As for track, which it sounds like you want to do, I can't help there, but most people do track the S2000, which in turn makes it harder to find stock ones.

There are so many cars now with extremely high horsepower vs. 15-20 years ago but they don't have appeal to me because you can't fully use it on the street, or said another way, their capabilities far exceed what you need unless you are at the track.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:44 AM

I agree on the horsepower comment. I now realize how out of touch I've been with what's going on with the Japanese cars. Watching one YouTube poster on track with his WRX was very impressive. Then I got up to date with the Civic-R, crazy horsepower there.

Tracking for my future use was only meant in my thinking as a couple times a year, I still like the idea of the collectible special/unique car, so that was how I arrived at the S2000, it can do both and I like the aesthetic and price point. And moving up from an early '60's brit collectible to a sports car collectible with a lot more in the creature comfort department. No plans to modify, just enjoy some occasional spirited driving where you don't have to worry about a major ticket and insurance hit.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:44 PM

I agree on the horsepower comment. I now realize how out of touch I've been with what's going on with the Japanese cars. Watching one YouTube poster on track with his WRX was very impressive. Then I got up to date with the Civic-R, crazy horsepower there.

Tracking for my future use was only meant in my thinking as a couple times a year, I still like the idea of the collectible special/unique car, so that was how I arrived at the S2000, it can do both and I like the aesthetic and price point. And moving up from an early '60's brit collectible to a sports car collectible with a lot more in the creature comfort department. No plans to modify, just enjoy some occasional spirited driving where you don't have to worry about a major ticket and insurance hit.

Might want to check your expectations on the creature comforts also - the s2000 feels cheep inside, has little storage and none of the latest tech, although ironically that is what also appeals to me. OTOH, it will be a big step up from your old British cars.

Nothing will ever be made again like S2000 for the value and driving experience, so given the fact that the number of good ones are dwindling, it’s a solid choice for a low risk, fun car.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ecs2k
Might want to check your expectations on the creature comforts also - the s2000 feels cheep inside, has little storage and none of the latest tech, although ironically that is what also appeals to me. OTOH, it will be a big step up from your old British cars. Nothing will ever be made again like S2000 for the value and driving experience, so given the fact that the number of good ones are dwindling, it’s a solid choice for a low risk, fun car.
Well, the cheap comment does surprise me, but I guess it's all in the perspective. We're talking a car approaching classic by the 25-years-old sense of the word. We are totally spoiled by the modern cars for comfort, but I can't think of a sports car from the "modern era" that has the charm of the S2000. Your other comment about the brit cars is so true, they are very crude. As for modern equivalents I read somewhere Honda is considering a 24/25 S2000 reintroduction. Then I started doing the math on what it would likely cost allowing for inflation since 2009. Won't be cheap. I've somehow talked myself back to an S2000!
Old 06-22-2023, 05:44 PM

Well, the cheap comment does surprise me, but I guess it's all in the perspective. We're talking a car approaching classic by the 25-years-old sense of the word. We are totally spoiled by the modern cars for comfort, but I can't think of a sports car from the "modern era" that has the charm of the S2000. Your other comment about the brit cars is so true, they are very crude. As for modern equivalents I read somewhere Honda is considering a 24/25 S2000 reintroduction. Then I started doing the math on what it would likely cost allowing for inflation since 2009. Won't be cheap. I've somehow talked myself back to an S2000!
You are on the right track. Just find a good one, understand it's story, check the structure underneath, and hopefully one with low mileage. Even in today's every increasing prices, it's still a value and a simple, exciting and raw drive.
Post the pics and let us know when you find one.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:31 AM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

yes the Rio yellow is imo the nicest color. the pearl in the paint is stunning.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
yes the Rio yellow is imo the nicest color. the pearl in the paint is stunning.
For sure.

If I could choose, I would have liked to have had RYP or GPW. I didn't want silver, so I "settled" for NFR. But the yellow and white definitely bring the $ beyond even where I wanted to be for price, let alone just being able to find a 2008/2009 in those colors.

Quick Reply: Hello