Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hi Everybody!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Everybody!

Well, here I am. I'm new to the S2K forum and don't even own an S2000 yet!

Anyway, the reason I joined is because I am in the process of starting a new job in a couple of week which will more than double my current income, which means I will be buying a brand spankin' new S2000 sometime this year, or very early next year. And between now and then, I want to gather up as much info as possible about the S2000, just so I can plan ahead with some of the mods.

In fact, I plan on going to the Honda dealership tomorrow to take one out for a test drive. Can you believe I NEVER even sat in one yet?!

Anywho...

Right now I have an '02 Mazda Miata. All it has on it is a set of Falken Azenis RT-615 (205/50-15) rubbers, Racing Beat Power Pulse exhaust, R-Speed/Monster Flow intake, front and rear shock tower braces, a few interior things and stripped-off stock ground effects kit.

Here's a few pics and you can check out a bunch more on my site if and when your bored enough to do so.

BTW, it's great to be here!

My Miata Site with LOADS of pics!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Gee guys...

I know it's just a Miata and all, but I was expecting at least 1 response by now. Oh well. LOL
Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be surprised if they give you a test drive. It's something I have not seen happen here in SoCal.

When I went shopping last year I sat in a Miata - it was nice but I thought it too small.
Went to the Honda dealer and bought the S without ever sitting in or driving it.

Why would I do such a thing?
It was because of the people on this forum and spending some time lurking and learning.

Get the S - you'll never look back
Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by radcliffe1,Mar 12 2007, 09:41 PM
I'd be surprised if they give you a test drive. It's something I have not seen happen here in SoCal.

When I went shopping last year I sat in a Miata - it was nice but I thought it too small.
Went to the Honda dealer and bought the S without ever sitting in or driving it.

Why would I do such a thing?
It was because of the people on this forum and spending some time lurking and learning.

Get the S - you'll never look back
Hey!

Well, on my way back into town this morning, I pulled into the Honda dealership and parked right along side a 2007 Silverstone with Red/Black interior. A salesman came out, I told him I was "ONLY looking and CAN'T do anything for about a year or so", but he still tried his best to make a sale today. Too bad...

Anyway, we took it out for a spin, and even took it up on the highway to 90mph. I wouldn't say that the fit and finish are any better than my Miata, but everything certainly looked much nicer, felt much nicer, and the seats are like a freakin' bear hug! The Miata seats aren't very supportive, especially compared the S2000 seats.

I took it up to 7500rpm only twice, once in 2nd gear getting onto the highway and once in 4th while already doing about 60mph or so. It's weird, because of the low amount of torque this engine produces, there really wasn't any "thrust" that threw you back in the seat. That was kind of a let-down actually. I was expecting a lot more of an indication of acceleration than what the S2000 was giving me. You just hear some noise, see the tach rise, see the speedo rise, but don't feel much of anything going on. Hate to say it, but my little Miata feels stronger than this, and it's only got 140bhp.

Well, after all of that was said and done, I shot down to the BMW dealer to test drive a Z4 3.0si Roadster. Now this one threw you back in the seat, and it wasn't even in "Sports Mode" yet, either. That little "Sport" button really does something special to the Z4! And you just can NOT beat the sound of that inline 6 motor.

Oh, and when I got back from test driving that 3.0si, there was a nice Interlagos Blue Z4 M sitting there. Yeah... Well... I took that one out for a drive as well! No comparison to either of the other two cars, not by a long shot!! Just one word... WOW!

So now I don't know what I'm going to do. I really like both cars a lot. I prefer the looks of the S2000 over the Z4. Not that the Z4 is bad looking. It's not! It's just that I don't particularly like the front nose of the Z all that much, but the sides and rear are every bit as nice as the S2000. Ride quality and road noise is about the same in both. The price of the S2000 is certainly better, but the overall sound, feel and torque slam of the Z4 is 10x better!

I don't know what to think. It's going to be really tough deciding between these two fine cars. And there's also the possiblilty that I might be able to spring for the "all balls out" Z4 M. That car is just a freakin' BEAST!

Hmm... Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Nice red Miata... they are nice cars and Mazda certainly has had a long run with it. I believe it started the resurgence of the roadster.
Have you ever driven an S2K before?... Are you sure you took it up to 7.5K, that is in Your narrative sounds uncharacteristic and lethargic for an S2K
Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 PM

[quote name='TYM2FLY' date='Mar 13 2007, 09:17 PM'] Have you ever driven an S2K before?... Are you sure you took it up to 7.5K, that is in Your narrative sounds uncharacteristic and lethargic for an S2K
Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the Miata.

I just want to add one other thing in defense of the Miata...

Although the S2k and Z4 or fine, solid cars, so is this 5 year old Miata of mine. After driving those two other cars today, then getting back in my car, I realised that this little Miata is a very stout, solid and firm car. Granted, it's not as refined as the other two, and it doesn't have all the extra features of the other two cars, but it still feels good and you can easily tell the quality is still there.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome...