Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Introduction - New Member!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction - New Member!

Greetings everybody,

I’ve been on the forums as a spectator for months now and just recently registered; looking forward to learning more and more about the s2000! I am planning on getting one in the near future; I’ve been saving up to afford a late AP1 or an early AP2, based on how much they’re currently going for in my area.

I currently drive a 2000 turbo Integra LS. I’ve had it since 2010, it’s been a fun journey buying it bone stock and transforming it to what it is today. I feel like I came and conquered, and I’m ready to move on to a different platform. As much pride as I have owning my Integra, sadly I will most likely have to sell it to get an s2000. I guess I’m looking for some insight from people that were in the same situation, moving from something similar as a daily driver, to dailying an s2000. It’s no monster, just a fairly quick/torquey daily making 206whp/200wtq.
  1. What can I expect moving from turbo FWD to N/A RWD?
  2. Any opinions on missing boost/ torque? (As I’ve heard many opinions on what people had to say about the s2k’s lack of torque)
  3. In terms of overall experience, what was your experience adapting to daily driving the s2k?
I’ve done a lot of research about the pros/cons throughout all the generations, so I have a brief idea of what I’ll be getting into. I actually drove an AP2 a few years back, but it was only for a short period of time and I remember loving it, compared to my at the time, stock Integra. I’ve already been bit by the boost bug, so I can only imagine wanting to go the same route in an s2000. But I want to appreciate the car for what it is and enjoy it before getting into anything serious! I may change my outlook once owning it, who knows?

Anyways, thanks for reading my post. I look forward to chiming in again when the day I own an s2000 comes. I guarantee you I will own one, whether it’s in the next couple months or by the end of the year. Once I officially own one, I’m sure I’ll be basically living on s2ki!

Here’s a pic of my pride and joy, if anyone’s interested!
My Integra

- Joey
Old 04-13-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Welcome.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome, Joey! Your Integra looks amazing and your license plate and username are hilarious. I've had two Integras (a DA9 and a DC4) previously and daily an RSX-S now. The S is definitely a different animal but not in bad way. I think you'll enjoy it, just take it easy while you get used to RWD, especially if you get an AP1. Be sure to go over the What to look for when buying a used S2000 thread if you haven't already. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:25 PM

I've been in your situation before. I've owned plenty turbo cars, itrs, si,ect. Once you make the switch to the s2000, you'll forget about the past. The s is a totally different beast. Even tho less power, it's really fun to drive. Plus it looks sexy af. Dailying it won't be a problem if space is not a concern. Think of it as a motorcycle. It's just fun to drive. Plus it's less likely to get stolen then your integra.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM

Julie, thanks! Only some people get it what it means lol, the reaction is priceless. I know its probably a whole different world in an s2k, thats what keeps me wanting to get in one sooner rather than later. Thanks for the insight! Jayfizzle I actually own a motorcycle as well, ninja zx6r! Getting an s2k, Ill have 2 open-air high-revving vehicles. Anyways I know what you mean, I'm sure the s2k is fun in its own way and I'll probably end up loving it and not looking back. Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome...
Old 04-15-2016, 02:57 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The '04 and later cars with the slightly larger displacement engine have a bit more torque and the '06 and later drive-by-wire cars can be Hondata FlashPro tuned for much more torque in the mid rpm power band. Surprisingly more power. Pre-'06 cars require a modified or replacement ECU to tune like this. My '06 had VTEC lowered to 3,600 rpm (with a Gernby tune) and any complaints regarding lack of torque disappeared.

Turbo- and super-charging these engines is common albeit expensive. I'm not sure if the common availability of used kits is an endorsement or the opposite.

I can't recommend this car or any small claustrophobic (with the roof up) sports car as a daily driver but it can be done. I drove mine to work yesterday roof up and home roof down. First "daily" drive since probably October here in Ohio.

-- Chuck
Old 04-15-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The '04 and later cars with the slightly larger displacement engine have a bit more torque and the '06 and later drive-by-wire cars can be Hondata FlashPro tuned for much more torque in the mid rpm power band. Surprisingly more power. Pre-'06 cars require a modified or replacement ECU to tune like this. My '06 had VTEC lowered to 3,600 rpm (with a Gernby tune) and any complaints regarding lack of torque disappeared.

Turbo- and super-charging these engines is common albeit expensive. I'm not sure if the common availability of used kits is an endorsement or the opposite.

I can't recommend this car or any small claustrophobic (with the roof up) sports car as a daily driver but it can be done. I drove mine to work yesterday roof up and home roof down. First "daily" drive since probably October here in Ohio.

-- Chuck
Thanks for the info Chuck. I've heard those things about the ap2 so i am definitely leaning towards getting one instead of an ap1, i feel it'll be more tailored to my driving and goals. Unfortunately as this time I can only afford one car so If i get an s2000 it'll serve as an everyday car for me. Space isn't too much of a concern, I don't usually carry around many people or luggage, but I can only speak so much until I actually have to deal with it.

Forced Induction wise, I've done a lot of research and hypothetical builds if I decide to go that route some day, I live local to a couple of big names like Inline Pro and PTuning, I know they've got some pretty popular kits but as you said they are indeed going to be expensive.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:30 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

There are essentially 3 versions of the AP2 cars. AP2 in the VIN refers to the 2.2 liter engine, nothing more, although the face-lift occurred at the same time. In stock form the AP1 cars and the 3 AP2 versions are easy to spot by the wheels. AP1 (2003 and earlier) car has the original body style and 16" wheels; AP2V1 (2004-2005) got the facelift, 17" wheels and "big" engine; AP2V2 (2006-2007) got Drive-by-Wire (DBW) and the ability to E-tune; AP2V3 (2008+) got nicer wheels and the CR versions.

Guys who bought their cars new didn't get the choices we have today.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Introduction - New Member!