Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

In the market for an S2K. Help please.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for an S2K. Help please.

Hello all. My name is Bryan. I'm a 21 year old College Student in Orlando,FL. I currently drive an '02 Accord EX V6 Coupe, (A car bought for me by my father when I was 16). I love the car, nothing wrong with it. Just want something 6 speed and more fun to drive, and more mod friendly. Now that I'm older and have a much better job, I can afford another car. I want to stay with Honda because it is my comfort zone, I've settled on either an S2000, or an '03 Acura CL-S 6 Speed. Reason being... NSX's/3G TL's are too expensive in great condition, '03+ Accord 6 Speeds are just boring and EVERYWHERE. TSX's are nice but their interiors are cheap, and the backseat is just as small as my Accord Coupe. & I think RSX's are girly cars honestly.

My goals are simple, 300WHP and a low 13 second car. Not a beast, but powerful and fun to drive. Easily done in both cars.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to S2K's, my main concerns are ease of modding (availability and cost compared to a CL-S). And of course, true cost of ownership (reliability and cost of replacement parts). I know CL-S are bullet proof, except for their bad IMRC's.

It'll be my only car so it's important. I'm not worried about hauling around a lot of people or groceries. I live at home with my parents and they both have full size sedans. The extra features/comfort/practicality on the CL-S are nice and all, but really not necessary. Especially with them being so rare.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lnTheWorks
Hello all. My name is Bryan. I'm a 21 year old College Student in Orlando,FL. I currently drive an '02 Accord EX V6 Coupe, (A car bought for me by my father when I was 16). I love the car, nothing wrong with it. Just want something 6 speed and more fun to drive, and more mod friendly. Now that I'm older and have a much better job, I can afford another car. I want to stay with Honda because it is my comfort zone, I've settled on either an S2000, or an '03 Acura CL-S 6 Speed. Reason being... NSX's/3G TL's are too expensive in great condition, '03+ Accord 6 Speeds are just boring and EVERYWHERE. TSX's are nice but their interiors are cheap, and the backseat is just as small as my Accord Coupe. & I think RSX's are girly cars honestly.

My goals are simple, 300WHP and a low 13 second car. Not a beast, but powerful and fun to drive. Easily done in both cars.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to S2K's, my main concerns are ease of modding (availability and cost compared to a CL-S). And of course, true cost of ownership (reliability and cost of replacement parts). I know CL-S are bullet proof, except for their bad IMRC's.

It'll be my only car so it's important. I'm not worried about hauling around a lot of people or groceries. I live at home with my parents and they both have full size sedans. The extra features/comfort/practicality on the CL-S are nice and all, but really not necessary. Especially with them being so rare.

Thanks for your time.

Well i cant speak very much for the S2000 yet but ive owned one (2000 ap1) now for a little over two months and absolutely love it. It is to much fun for its own good... I DD it to work and back (100miles round trip) and it does great. Very respectable gas milage if you really try, on a good tank i can get 30 to 30.5mpg. When you have a few fun pulls here and there itl drop to around 26ish.

As for your WHP wishes, thats a different story. The S makes 240bhp and the engines arent easily modified for more HP since honda pretty much covered everything. It will cost you $$$$ to get large gains naturally aspirated. Your best bet is to either super or turbo charge the motor. which prices range from $4000+ for kits(might be a few K off.)
GL with your decision thought!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
Well i cant speak very much for the S2000 yet but ive owned one (2000 ap1) now for a little over two months and absolutely love it. It is to much fun for its own good... I DD it to work and back (100miles round trip) and it does great. Very respectable gas milage if you really try, on a good tank i can get 30 to 30.5mpg. When you have a few fun pulls here and there itl drop to around 26ish.

As for your WHP wishes, thats a different story. The S makes 240bhp and the engines arent easily modified for more HP since honda pretty much covered everything. It will cost you $$$$ to get large gains naturally aspirated. Your best bet is to either super or turbo charge the motor. which prices range from $4000+ for kits(might be a few K off.)

If I can get a respectable Turbo Kit for 4-5k than thats already better than the BS I'd have to go through to make a CL 300+WHP.

Is high mileage a concern? I really don't want to spend more than 17-18k.. How many miles is too many miles for an S2K?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing' timestamp='1362784325' post='22390565

If I can get a respectable Turbo Kit for 4-5k than thats already better than the BS I'd have to go through to make a CL 300+WHP.

Is high mileage a concern? I really don't want to spend more than 17-18k.. How many miles is too many miles for an S2K?
Your budget is $18k all together, or before throwing a turbo and other mods in the mix?
I imagine going the FI route can get rather expensive pretty quick, hopefully someone with experience can chime in to everything you would need to buy/consider when chasing 300whp.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_chimp
Your budget is $18k all together, or before throwing a turbo and other mods in the mix?
I imagine going the FI route can get rather expensive pretty quick, hopefully someone with experience can chime in to everything you would need to buy/consider when chasing 300whp.

I meant for just the car. I can save up for mods I'm not looking into dumping $5k into it the month I buy it.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_chimp' timestamp='1362786080' post='22390632

I meant for just the car. I can save up for mods I'm not looking into dumping $5k into it the month I buy it.
For $18k you should be able to find a nice s2k.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2k_chimp' timestamp='1362786080' post='22390632

you will be able to find a very nice S2k with your $18k just look around a little. california has alot of great cars for sale atm. you might even be able to pick up an already turbo'd car.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
you will be able to find a very nice S2k with your $18k just look around a little. california has alot of great cars for sale atm. you might even be able to pick up an already turbo'd car.
I'm strongly opposed to buying a car with so much as an aftermarket intake on it. I want 1-2 owner car, bone stock.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
cz1

Its close to 7000$ to get a decent turbo kit with installation. That's including everything you need to turbo you s2000 like the EMS, Injectors, Fuelpump.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by cz1
Its close to 7000$ to get a decent turbo kit with installation. That's including everything you need to turbo you s2000 like the EMS, Injectors, Fuelpump.
Not really worried about installation fees but thanks. Got a mad scientist of a mechanic who knows his way in & out of Honda's, blindfolded. He just happens to be a good friend, and honestly he'd do just about anything to my car for a case of beer and some help passing him tools .

He lives for modding cars. He'd do it just to say that his friend has a 300+whp S2K.

Quick Reply: In the market for an S2K. Help please.