Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New 2005 s2000 owner, very excited!!!

Old 04-22-2022, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 2005 s2000 owner, very excited!!!

My favorite car during my 36+ years at Kennedy Space Center was a 2000 Honda Insight but always wanted an S2000. Now that I am retired I just bought a FLAWLESS 2005 S2000 with only 53,000 miles and I am so excited!! The car was always treated as a classic, never hit, painted, smokes in, has all the body panel VIN stickers, never been in the rain or snow and has all the original documentation that originally came with the car, the underside of the entire car is also like new!!. My wife and I drove it home from South Carolina last week to Florida where it got its first experience with rain during some heavy rain while in Georgia.

During the drive home (initially not in the rain) I lost power steering and the EPS light came on. The owners manual said that when this happens to just turn the ignition OFF and back ON to reset the EPS which worked, how ever it did happen a few more times during the drive home and a few times when I got home. The EPS light does not stay ON and usually can be reset by turning the ignition OFF then back ON. From what I could find on the forum the problem could be the EPS Torque Sensor so I very carefully removed it, disassembled it, inspected the disassembled guts which were bone dry and like brand new, applied light coat of Honda grease per the Honda Service Manual, reinstalled it and calibrated it. I then took the car for a drive and it was fine initially, then on the second drive I lost power steering and the EPS light came ON. I turned the ignition OFF then ON and the EPS light went OUT. The calibration sequence seemed a bit awkward for me so I am going to try going through it again to see what happens. The car is literally immaculate and as showroom new as your could imagine and the EPS Torques Sensor was dry as a bone inside and out with what I would consider enough grease from the factory in the appropriate places so I kind of doubt it was/is the problem and the EPS light does not stay ON all the time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank You!

The following users liked this post:
calcal (04-30-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 03:44 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Congratulations on finally getting your car!

Suggest moving this to one of the special interest sections and titles something like "Can't reset EPS" (not "so excited") or similar not here in the introduction section where it's lost. Perhaps one of the administrators can do this for you.

I managed to disable my EPS by turning the steering wheel back and forth with all four wheels off the pavement. But the reset worked.

-- Chuck
Old 04-26-2022, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have the same car and the same problem. Have you tried using the 4 and 9 pins method to get the error code? Mine is giving me code 32 which could be loose EPS connections or bad unit. Am going to check the connections tomorrow. Good luck with your car and congrats. Hopefully we can get this fixed and go back to enjoying our cars.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:26 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Difficult for me to identify pins on the port squeezed under dashboard. I have an OBD2 extension cord which is easy to use while sitting in the car which helps a lot.

-- Chuck
Old 04-27-2022, 08:04 AM

My code was 32 and all connections were good so I ordered a $300 used replacement EPS that has same “exact PN”, came from a wrecked 2007 with 70k miles. New one from dealership is between $1200-1800
Old 04-30-2022, 05:28 PM

Installed replacement EPS module, reset engine idle RPM and set EPS torque sensor neutral position per Honda Service Manual.
Took car for test drive and so far so good
Old 04-30-2022, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you resolved the issue without paying full price. I did the EPS reset procedure and so far the light has not come back on, hopefully it stays that way.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:40 PM
mjk

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to tell you, that is a seriously good looking car! Enjoy in good health and congrats on the retirement.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations, the price for a replacement is of course, utterly mad!

I have the same exact car, but my rear wheels require some work to look new again, I hate the fact that Honda used a polished surface on these wheels, such a PITA to repair and refurbish and VERY costly for me locally as well, so still sitting on the fence of what to do!

Old 12-08-2022, 04:07 AM

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Congrats on the new car, I just bought a 2005 a few weeks ago in red. Lots of good help here on this forum, enjoy!

Quick Reply: New 2005 s2000 owner, very excited!!!